Iguana (Chicken of the trees) - Anyone ever try this?

bushman13

People would be amazed with what goes on in those canals down there. You can throw on a mask and snorkel, jump in, and the majority of fish you will see are non-native aquarium fish. Quite the experience.

JDH

Sounds like you can probably gig them, but who really knows these days. Coming from a multi generation Florida family, we always had gigs in garage for frogs and mullet. A ton of fun.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/reptiles/iguanas-and-relatives/green-iguana/

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/python/removing/ <--- 22 public lands with no restrictions on Pythons or Iguanas
I bet they would be a handful on the end of a gig if they started whipping their tail around.

thusby

Reptiles;
Good (Frogs and turtles)
Bad (Alligators and snakes)

Not sure which category the iguana will fall in.

The last few years I’ve driven down to FL to fish for Peacocks from my kayak. The fishing is great and those lizards are everywhere! 12”-5’ long. It’s pretty crazy. Their legs and tails look really meaty. I’m sure they’re tasty.

jnd1959

We used to see them in the Amazon all the time. Never saw anybody eat them though. They got pretty big, but there are other, much bigger things in the jungle.

Jwill

A buddy of mine has hunted them in Puerto Rico with an air gun, said it was a ton of fun. Not sure they ate them though.

ajricketts

There is definitely a run on BB guns at the local Bass Pro. Lady working there said they've been selling a ton of them since the article advising to kill them came out. Pretty sure most aren't eating them lol.

Outdooraddict

I watched Andrew Zimmern (Host- Bizarre Food) on a "Florida Keys" episode hunt iguanas and eat them. He seems pretty cool, and it is a fun show to watch. Here is a little clip I found- this dude eats EVERYTHING... but at the 10:30 mark he's eating iguana and iguana eggs. In the actual episode, it does show him and his hosts hunting/shooting them.

VAspeedgoat

We stayed in a state park in the keys and we were advised by a couple of campers to watch our kids. The one was over 4' and pretty much didn't give a rats butt about people. He was steeling food off picknick tables. He didn't care for a chunk of wood to his head though. I'll give him this much, I thought I had killed him but he just swam away in a creek and was back at the neighbors in an hour.

JTHOMP

We stayed in a state park in the keys and we were advised by a couple of campers to watch our kids. The one was over 4' and pretty much didn't give a rats butt about people. He was steeling food off picknick tables. He didn't care for a chunk of wood to his head though. I'll give him this much, I thought I had killed him but he just swam away in a creek and was back at the neighbors in an hour.
Iguana Land Rule #7: When in doubt double tap.