Iguana (Chicken of the trees) - Anyone ever try this?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This is almost too intriguing to not go to Florida and try to find some of these big lizards to hunt and eat. Call me strange, my wife will agree, but lately I have been interested in converting to food those species most often deemed unworthy. Mrs. Fin still has me at arm's length over eating 'skrats this spring. She might pack my bags and leave my belongings on the street if we start eating iguanas, so maybe I will send Marcus and Michael down for the lizard gig. Yeah, Marcus will eat anything.

Article here about hunting/trapping and eating this invasive species - https://www.sun-sentinel.com/featur...eb7MwZT8aaqvq46CWaO7K8ACux57PdhhjFqGSniQ1WmVk

Curious, any Hunt Talker ever eat, or try to hunt/trap, iguana?

Never had the pleasure but I'd love to try some! You get it and I'll serve it at Field to Table next year so Mrs. Fin can't give you the boot.

I know in some countries it's eaten, Can't imagine it being too dissimilar to crocodile (which is nice). Basically eating a dinosaur so have at it I say!

I will make some phone calls and talk to my buddies back home about hunting/eating them. Never had them myself.

I know they hunt them with air rifles. More info to follow.

Been there, done that. Not as easy as it seems. Used a blowgun since airguns are pretty much illegal.

This also helps:
View attachment 107654

Airguns illegal? Dang, they coming for my Crossman "Eurasian Dove Peacekeeper" next? What after that, Ralphie's Christmas present?

Maybe my plan isn't going to work. Was a good idea while that balloon floated, only to be shot down by the Daisy Red Rider confiscation crowd.

I’ve had them. Not bad at all. We hunted them with slingshots. When they want to run, those suckers are fast. We caught one in a swimming pool a couple yrs ago and wrapped it up in a box and gave it to one of our friends for his birthday. It was only in the box for about 30 min, and when Blake opened the box, that thing jumped out of there and ran across table. People scattered everywhere as there were only two of us in on the “surprise.” He claims that was the day he had his first and only heart attack...lol.

We have a winter home in Port Charlotte, I've seen a few while out and about, they say they are all over. Them bastards gets in your attic you have a big problem though. Also air guns aren't illegal in FL just an age restriction of 16 I believe. But I have heard of people killing and cooking them and apparently they are pretty good, I guess that also depends on the cook too.

Airguns illegal? Dang, they coming for my Crossman "Eurasian Dove Peacekeeper" next? What after that, Ralphie's Christmas present?

Maybe my plan isn't going to work. Was a good idea while that balloon floated, only to be shot down by the Daisy Red Rider confiscation crowd.
Depends on the county, and locals locations. Illegeal in Miami Dade county, but you can go north and get into some private land that may allow you to use them. Then theres the animal cruelty laws; you have to kill outright or you can be cited. That means headshots. Thats tricky. Locating iggys wont be a problem, I can send some waypoints to help.

Last edited:
I've heard in parts of Mexico and Puerto Rico they are hunted with air guns and are table fare. Working in West Africa I've yet to meet a man that eats iguanas or frogs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back