Caribou Gear

If you drive around the west without mudflaps

I've had two cracked out there. One in Wyoming, one in Montana. That is one thing the would suck about driving around alot there. I'd be willing to replace windshields often if it meant living there though! 😁

We have a $75 windshield replacement rider on our auto insurance. We use it every year for one vehicle or another. If you spend appreciable time in the mountains or on I-70 in the wintertime, you're going to eventually have a busted windshield.

Agree that Mudflaps should be a common courtesy, but it will happen anyway :)

Good advice because it's very frustrating currently. Being that everyone has to deal with this all the time, what the hell is the deal with all the full size trucks and no flaps (Seinfeld's voice)? It takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to work every morning coming down 285 into Denver, I bet 85% of the vehicles I pass have no flaps. And the majority have damaged windshields. People like the safelite guy that much or people really dgaf?

Get use to it, mudflaps or not.

I feel like it was a good year if we only have to replace a windshield on one of our vehicles. Welcome to Colorado...

One time I was driving from Wolcott to Kremmling on the trough road and this semi kicked up a rock about the size of a golf ball that punched straight through the windshield.

I think our record is one windshield lasted 3 years... we've also replaced one cars windshield 3 times in a year.

First couple years you live out west

"Needs to be replaced, it's right in the field of view"
1580145852119.png

Lived in west a decade or so
"Ah, not too bad I'll replace it next summer"
1580146208087.png

Grew up in the west
"Listen, the drivers side is totally fine"
1580146075551.png

I guess i cant comment on the source of your problem in the Denver area but I don't run mudflaps. Dont really know that many that do, regardless of the size of their truck. A few of the folks that decide to spend their excess cash on lifts, exhaust, computer chips, chrome door handles and other dangly crap on their trucks do but its not out of courtesy but rather one more place to run more chrome junk. Quite a few of the oil field folks run mudflaps but they are doing that for the sake of their trailers not to help out other drivers. I find that the mud falling off the flaps while they are running down I80 is the biggest source of the problem for me. I just live with the cracks until i cant anymore. About one windshield a year on average. I know its not colder in Denver than RS so I assume your tolerance is lower than mine. The 2" minus that WyDOT uses to sand the roads does not help but its better than nothing.

One week after getting mine replaced, driving down 285. I come up on a Honda minivan, she is in the right lane, I'm coming up on her left. I'm doing 50 in a 45, she swings in front of me for no apparent reason other than a speed check. We are the only cars in this section of the road. Swings in front of me and launches a sizable rock right at my eye. Luckily my windshield does it job, but now it needs replacing. She is none the wiser and now I'm cussing everyday looking through a crack 😅

I feel like it was a good year if we only have to replace a windshield on one of our vehicles. Welcome to Colorado...

One time I was driving from Wolcott to Kremmling on the trough road and this semi kicked up a rock about the size of a golf ball that punched straight through the windshield.

I think our record is one windshield lasted 3 years... we've also replaced one cars windshield 3 times in a year.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back