Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

If you could go back to age 25

I would never want to go back 25 it would be 1988, except to see my father again we lost him in 1996 he was a great man WW11 generation
Scott was like my brother for 35 yrs lost him in 2006 would be great to see him again too and theirs a few more Id like to see and talk with again
but for me Ill stay right here in 2020 with the most incredible woman I could ever wish for a small business that I love working at and all the ups and downs life has to offer
yes made many mistakes over the yrs But met Tammy in 2014 and life is so much gooder with her

I was a trout bum when I was 25. Averaged about 150 days on the river sticking big North Platte rainbows & browns, driving crappy rigs, drinking hard with the artist crowd in Casper, WY & in a pretty cruddy relationship.

SO my 20's are a little fuzzy. If I had to do it over again, I'd drink less, leave that relationship and fish more.

This sounds somewhat familiar. Casper was the biggest town I had ever lived in so it was an exciting time for a single guy. Chasing girls at the Beacon Club or Wonder Bar by night and fishing the Platte or picking up elk sheds by day. I lived in an apartment so I didn't have to worry about all the maintenance that comes with owning a home, no one ever wondered where I was or when I'd be home. Life was simple living like a fart in the wind and I enjoyed it. Only thing I'd do different is spend less of those mornings after the bar sleeping in and more time fishing or scouting for elk.

I wouldn't change much. 8 years ago puts me at Ellsworth AFB, SD and I would've applied for way more resident tags! Im still carrying 8 points towards resident elk that mean nothing now. I would've got as much college done on Active Duty as possible. I would've gone to church more! Overall, I love my life.

There was a time when I would have killed to have gone back to that 25-er life; or better yet 22. But honestly, I wouldn't ever go back. I enjoy where I'm in, and the things I did then made me who and what I am now. I'm living what has to be one of the top lives that is possible in the grand scheme of human existence.

Would more money really make you guys happier?
I've talked to too many guides that are trapped, they started doing something they loved but do it so much that now it's just a job. One fishing guide articulated it to me that he felt like his passion had been taken away and it was just a daily grind of one shitty client after another.

If I have regrets and things I wish I could have a do-er at, it would be things from younger in life, middle and high school.

knowing what i know now. move to MT, WY finish school and try to make a living. live an outdoors lifestyle. living in the shitty western washington just sucks the life out outta ya. bad traffic. bad taxes. bad government. waaaaaaaaaaa! woulda coulda shoulda. retire from what i do now in 7 yrs. hope to move to montana.

I would go back and save every empty busch lite can, whiskey bottle, and Copenhagen can of thst era and took a decade long picture of the destruction; wrote a small coffee table illustrated book about that said consumption and made millions...... also, I probably woulda took the leap and returned that letter to Ike Sankeys rodeo school and taken the leap to earn a living riding bucking horses for a while.

Wow those were the days I wouldn't change a thing really I hunted over 150 days a year back then.

I would go back and save every empty busch lite can, whiskey bottle, and Copenhagen can of thst era and took a decade long picture of the destruction; wrote a small coffee table illustrated book about that said consumption and made millions...... also, I probably woulda took the leap and returned that letter to Ike Sankeys rodeo school and taken the leap to earn a living riding bucking horses for a while.
The copenhagen kept you alive.

The copenhagen kept you alive.
It’s still keeping me alive....I gave up the liquid crap 3 years ago lol. I wouldn’t change a thing. I had a lot of fun; also learned after giving it up, I’m in the best shape of life now at 38. Age is nothing but a number, I still feel and act like I’m 22. Just now getting around to having my first child.

One more very important lesson, don’t ever marry the same woman TWICE!!! I’m on marriage 3, and I think I’ll keep this one a while lol

If you could go back to your mid 20's and be single, no kids, no debt, and have a bachelors degree, what would you do?

Would you start a business, go back to school, runaway and make a living as a drifting hunting guide?

Just curious as to what everyone would say since hunting season is just about over and I would imagine everyone is probably as bored as me this time of year.
I would stop borrowing money for a degree I was convinced I need for an industry I have grown to hate.

Last edited:
It’s still keeping me alive....I gave up the liquid crap 3 years ago lol. I wouldn’t change a thing. I had a lot of fun; also learned after giving it up, I’m in the best shape of life now at 38. Age is nothing but a number, I still feel and act like I’m 22. Just now getting around to having my first child.

One more very important lesson, don’t ever marry the same woman TWICE!!! I’m on marriage 3, and I think I’ll keep this one a while lol
my good hunting buddy had his first child at 48, he needs to quit the copenhagen. I think about a good dip every day many times but I won't do it as I promised my daughter 6 years ago. You jnow you got a problem when your 8 year old asks you to quit for her birthday

Not interested in any degree, but if I knew THEN what I know now I would have quit the partying and womanizing and worked harder to make a bankroll to move out west or to Alaska. Tried harder to stay in shape and worked as needed to live well while enjoying myself in the outdoors. May or may not have gotten married, who knows what a new life would have led to.

Well I'm almost 28 so I have had much time to see if I regret any choices I've made. I've personally been very fortunate I have a good job in a good field with lots of paid time off. I did move out west from the people republic of NJ to Wyoming. So far in life I've done everything that I've wanted to do and had the ability to make it happen. Only advice I'd give to some one either right out of HS of College is of you think theres somewhere you want to live go out there and give it a try. You manage to survive if something happens. Also if theres something you want to do just go do it you'll figure out the money part.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back