PEAX Equipment

IF there is a Federal shutdown

mdcrossbow

Politics aside - please - I just want to know if a federal government shutdown occurs what are the implications for hunting, specifically on public?

My biggest concern would be national/ federal property ... Blackwater & Assateague. Maybe others? Any implication to state lands? Many varieties such as State Parks, State Forests, WMAs, MHAs, Chesapeake Forest Lands, Army Corps of Engineer Properties. Etc, etc.

I know shutdowns have happened before, so hoping those who remember can give me an idea of what to expect. Thank you very much!!

I copied this from an eastern post. Any thoughts ?

In the past it seems we have seen a wide range of effect of shutdowns on public lands. Some employees still working, some kicked out of the office and told to go home, some campgrounds closed while others stay open. It can be hard to predict

Shouldn't affect state; federal facilities and maintained campgrounds would likely close, but dispersed camping and general access to most federal land would stay open.

In the past it seems we have seen a wide range of effect of shutdowns on public lands. Some employees still working, some kicked out of the office and told to go home, some campgrounds closed while others stay open. It can be hard to predict
This...basically as long as you're not interested in being at a National Park you should be fine. I'm not sure why some campgrounds close and others do not but it is likely due to popularity and cleaning needed to keep them running. A federal shutdown likely won't affect local state game areas however National refuges may close but you probably can just walk in at the gate (that would be ideal because people would just turn around and go home)

Be sure to get paper maps in advance because offices will be closed even though there are likely employees working. Plan to use dispersed camp sites

Hard to think of a better example of political theatre than a “government shutdown”

The last one was somewhat pleasant. I went to the Grand Canyon after a snowstorm and there was no staff to de-ice the walkways. It was a yuppie slip and slide on the south rim.

Federal shutdowns shouldn’t affect state lands. The last couple of shutdowns have had all kinds of shenanigans with closures/keeping things open on Federal so hard to say. BLM/Forest Service lands generally remain open, but facilities will be closed. National Wildlife Refuges are typically closed.

If we have a shutdown and I hope we do, the party in charge will try and close as much stuff as possible to blame in on the other side. Just like last time. It will turn from a budget process to a political process.

Last one during the fall really screwed up my duck/goose hunting on the Fed refuges. The lottery draw system back then never fully recovered that season, things just remained fubared for the most part

in 1996 the federal shutdown ended in time for me to tour the elk preserve in January in Jackson. Was not able to visit Yellowstone though. I seem to remember Federal Wildlife Refuges were closed to hunting too. Bet there were a lot of PO'ed SweatLiners.

Politics aside - please - I just want to know if a federal government shutdown occurs what are the implications for hunting, specifically on public?

My biggest concern would be national/ federal property ... Blackwater & Assateague. Maybe others? Any implication to state lands? Many varieties such as State Parks, State Forests, WMAs, MHAs, Chesapeake Forest Lands, Army Corps of Engineer Properties. Etc, etc.

I know shutdowns have happened before, so hoping those who remember can give me an idea of what to expect. Thank you very much!!

I copied this from an eastern post. Any thoughts ?
I didn’t even think about this hopefully it doesn’t happen but besides effects on campgrounds and documenting proof of certain harvests I can’t see it affecting our hunts to much hopefully

national parks could close.
Nationally controlled campgrounds via the forest service, could close
Hunting, aside from if you are camping in a closed camp area, should be un-affected. Game and Fish is state controlled, they control hunting.

The employees are being paid, with delay of course. Why on earth, if the tax payers are paying them would we send them home, and not require them to work?? Dumb question, right?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back