Caribou Gear

If I only knew this when I first started backpacking....

teej89

Kind of a "you don't know what you don't know situation"

So I'm outright commited this fall for washington's high buck hunt, with some encouraging words from @JLS I went head in and this summer is going to be a scouting overload until opening day.

With that being said I've never backpacked for more than 3 days. We're looking at doing 7 days.

From your experience what didn't you know then that you know now? Or what didn't you bring that you wish you did? Or what'd you leave behind that initially brought and just weighed you down?

The best boots you can buy and don’t bring extra clothes, only what you need, merino like firstlite lasts days without turning rank. Also a water filtration system, so you don’t have to carry all the water for the trip.

Other than that I personally go for sleeping comfort, have a better/bigger pad than the average backpacker and two inflatable pillows. I herniated a disk in my back a few years back and if I don’t sleep well I will not be able to function so it’s worth the added weight for me.

I’ve always been a “carry as little water as needed” guy to cut back on weight. However, mid-Dec last year I got food poisoning afield which resulted in acute intestinal illness. In a matter of about 30 mins between repeated vomiting and diarrhea I had lost a ton of water.

Lesson learned: Carrying some powder electrolyte and a couple liters of water no matter the weather conditions or distance from camp is important.

I’ve always been a “carry as little water as needed” guy to cut back on weight. However, mid-Dec last year I got food poisoning afield which resulted in acute intestinal illness. In a matter of about 30 mins between repeated vomiting and diarrhea I had lost a ton of water.

Lesson learned: Carrying some powder electrolyte and a couple liters of water no matter the weather conditions or distance from camp is important.
Always carry water!If nothing else a good dousing over your head will keep your brain from boiling. 💥

Couple of things.
  • I wish I had understood R-value on sleeping pads way sooner.
  • Chafing is awful. Best ways I have found to prevent it are keeping your nether regions clean with baby wipes, and using an anti-friction stick like Runner's Glide.
  • If you are going to be hunting when it may get cold, find ways to warm up, especially at the end of the day. It is one thing to not be cold, it is another to be warm. Fire, stove, warm drink, warm dinner, something. It makes a world of difference when you can be comfortable.
  • Don't skimp on water. I like a steripen.

IMO backpacking for seven days vs three days is no different gear wise, you just need more food. The mental aspect is key and can’t be overlooked.

Think about the things that will weaken your mental resolve and focus on those. Staying dry, is your tent a good set up for rain (vestibule design), do you have good rain gear, insulation that will work when wet. Staying warm, is your layer system efficient? Good food and other comforts.

Obviously good boots, trekking poles, and a good backpack go without saying. Be competent in land nav, without a GPS. Confidence will keep you going, competence will keep you alive.

Lots of good things covered so far. I would emphasize the comments about a good shelter/tent and your sleep system. You will get worn down and tired. A warm and dry sleep system that works for you is critical. I might add the Tylenol PM’s are overlooked to help get better sleep as well.

I have a tendency to carry a 20-30lb pack almost regardless of a day hunt or a 10 day backpack in the Bob. My first aid and emergency bag is the same, my water is almost always 3L, and my sleep kit (tarp, hammock, sleeping bag, and extra socks and undies) is right around 4lbs. Food is the only difference for me.
I’ve really liked the sawyer mini (micro is newer) and an old bladder as the dirty bag. Very light weight, has an option of carrying 6L back to camp if needed (3 filtered stream side, 3 on the dirty bag to filter at camp) and pretty inexpensive.

For safety, do NOT underestimate a heavy duty trash bag. I think they are 5mil maybe? The heaviest contractor bags you can find. These can be bivvy bags, ponchos (cut a corner off for a face hole), or a tarp (cut open all the seams) in an emergency. And try a couple out first on a rainy day this spring! It is amazing how warm you can be with a bag poncho style standing over a tea candle. And they are more resilient than the Mylar blankets in terms of getting open and inside of. We had a search and rescue training where we pretended to have a broken arm or broken leg and get a “shelter” set up to stay out overnight. Open up a 3 year old space blanket with one arm and you’ll never buy one again.

Stay safe and have fun!!

IMO backpacking for seven days vs three days is no different gear wise, you just need more food. The mental aspect is key and can’t be overlooked.

Think about the things that will weaken your mental resolve and focus on those. Staying dry, is your tent a good set up for rain (vestibule design), do you have good rain gear, insulation that will work when wet. Staying warm, is your layer system efficient? Good food and other comforts.

Obviously good boots, trekking poles, and a good backpack go without saying. Be competent in land nav, without a GPS. Confidence will keep you going, competence will keep you alive.

New tent and rain gear are my hot items. I never thought of a vestibule tent, I was wondering how I'd dry equipment off.

I have a tendency to carry a 20-30lb pack almost regardless of a day hunt or a 10 day backpack in the Bob. My first aid and emergency bag is the same, my water is almost always 3L, and my sleep kit (tarp, hammock, sleeping bag, and extra socks and undies) is right around 4lbs. Food is the only difference for me.
I’ve really liked the sawyer mini (micro is newer) and an old bladder as the dirty bag. Very light weight, has an option of carrying 6L back to camp if needed (3 filtered stream side, 3 on the dirty bag to filter at camp) and pretty inexpensive.

For safety, do NOT underestimate a heavy duty trash bag. I think they are 5mil maybe? The heaviest contractor bags you can find. These can be bivvy bags, ponchos (cut a corner off for a face hole), or a tarp (cut open all the seams) in an emergency. And try a couple out first on a rainy day this spring! It is amazing how warm you can be with a bag poncho style standing over a tea candle. And they are more resilient than the Mylar blankets in terms of getting open and inside of. We had a search and rescue training where we pretended to have a broken arm or broken leg and get a “shelter” set up to stay out overnight. Open up a 3 year old space blanket with one arm and you’ll never buy one again.

Stay safe and have fun!!

Trash bag, good idea!

TJ has seen the horrors of bad boots. His partner in the Breaks a couple years ago had a hard time. Tough kid though. Trooped on through. Boots are a big one. mtmuley
Yet I saw him wear Danner Pronghorns on his chukar hunts. :rolleyes:

Seven days is a long time to be out in the woods. Be sure to bring a variety of food, a good book and whatever you need to be comfortable. Being ultralight has its benefits but being comfortable will go a looong way towards keeping your head in the game, especially if it is cold. A good sleep system, shelter and boots are a must. If you are hiking in and setting up a basecamp, consider multiple trips to be able to bring everything you need.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back