Caribou Gear

If I only knew this when I first started backpacking....

Alright here's a question, I always hear of it but haven't experienced it yet. Frozen boots in the morning, is there a remedy or is this something you just have to deal with?

Alright here's a question, I always hear of it but haven't experienced it yet. Frozen boots in the morning, is there a remedy or is this something you just have to deal with?
In my experience it has to be damn cold, like single digits or below, for them to actually freeze if you bring them inside the tent. If they get seriously frozen I’ve used a fire to very gently thaw them. I know guys who put them in their sleeping bag, but I already take up a lot of room in a long bag and I don’t like the idea of introducing moisture to the inside of my bag.

Putting them in a light plastic bag, inside the tent will get you into the teens or so of outside temps, depending. If frozen solid I just thaw them out over the stove for a minute until pliable and cram them on with some toe warmers inside. The back of a long-handled spoon works well to wedge your heel in there. I'd be open to great ideas I'm missing. I've already done this this spring...lots of creek crossings in the day and teens at night makes a hard boot.

I put in the my pack or put a coat over them if it's really cold. Otherwise I just deal with it. If it's only going to be for "a" night I might keep them in my bag, but I'd have to be really concerned about not being able to get them on.

For cold, wet, frozen boots, I've also heated rocks on a stove or in a small fire and dropped them in my boots for a few minutes.

I get really cold feet so I've had to get creative.

Last edited:
I’ve stayed up late (12ish) and dry them next to embers. If you leave them unattended you’re asking for trouble in the form of melted/burnt boots. Even halfway dry boots are doable the next morning.

Frozen boots suck.

That, they do! Bigfin's tip on hand-warmers in the toe cap overnight is a game changer. I've spent many many mornings putting on frozen boots.

If you leave them unattended you’re asking for trouble in the form of melted/burnt boots.

Being in the Canadian army, I've spent plenty of nights in -50C with kit hanging all around our 10 men tent. The prime spots being directly above the lantern and stove. I've lost a couple balaclavas, tuques and mukluk felts to a hot stove or lantern over the years...

That, they do! Bigfin's tip on hand-warmers in the toe cap overnight is a game changer. I've spent many many mornings putting on frozen boots.

I like the idea of putting heat packs in them at night, hadn't seen that, never used them much as my feet are usually hot if I'm moving but that seems like a great use for them.

I’ve put hand warmers in the toes without much luck personally but maybe I didn’t use ones with enough horsepower.

Sounds like a fun hunt. Good luck and I look forward to the story post when it is all over. Here are a couple of things that I have learned.

- Water weighs a lot, but is very important, if you can help it carry as little as you can. Make sure that you have a consistent spot to get water and a dependable way to clean it.
- A good, dependable, and sharp pocket knife is one of the best tools in your bag
- never underestimate the versatility of duck tape. Wrap some around a water bottle or lighter for emergency gear repair. This can also be done with Luco tape (spelling?) electrical tape, and other similar wraps for make shift bandages or blister relief.

I generally don't make the effort to heat water or rocks, etc., to warm my boots up, as I prefer not to sit around in the tent for breakfast. I usually loosen the laces a whole bunch and pull the tongue way forward so it's easy to get them on in the morning, they warm up pretty quickly when I start walking. If they are wet at the end of the day I do make an effort to dry them out a bit before I hit the rack.

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't under estimated the value of good sleep on a long trip. Anyone can get through 2 or 3 nights of crappy sleep and be ok. Much more than that and it really wears on your mental focus and motivation.
I bought a 20" wide sleeping pad to save 2-3 ounces over the 25". I cuss myself every time I roll off that pad at night.
I bought a down 15 deg spoon Nemo bag and didn't look into comfort vs survival rating. After using 2 bags in CO last year to stay warm I ponied up and bought a WM Kodiak.

I wish I hadn't under estimated the value of good sleep on a long trip. Anyone can get through 2 or 3 nights of crappy sleep and be ok. Much more than that and it really wears on your mental focus and motivation.
I bought a 20" wide sleeping pad to save 2-3 ounces over the 25". I cuss myself every time I roll off that pad at night.
I bought a down 15 deg spoon Nemo bag and didn't look into comfort vs survival rating. After using 2 bags in CO last year to stay warm I ponied up and bought a WM Kodiak.
Good call on the Western Mountaineering bag. They are pricey but I've never been awake at night regretting the investment. I've got the Neoair Xtherm in the wide version. I'll never go back to a regular width pad.

Good call on the Western Mountaineering bag. They are pricey but I've never been awake at night regretting the investment. I've got the Neoair Xtherm in the wide version. I'll never go back to a regular width pad.

I actually was a gohunt winner for the western mountaineering bag about 2yrs ago. I saw and was like crap they normally give away guns and optics and I get a sleeping bag... Then I read reviews and saw the pricetag on the bag hahaha!!

Last edited:
Wish I'd brought a better sleeping pad for warmth and cushion
Brought too much food
Remember to put your Sawyer in the sleeping bag if temps will be freezing.

Carry duct tape. From tent to pad patch, cordage to bandaid, duct tape is backpack Mana.

Agree re: tents. Whoever the hell thinks a two "man" tent is really a two "man" tent is flat out brain broke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back