Iditarod 2023

homers

Anyone else following the Iditarod? Warm temps are impacting many of the dogs. I'm rooting for Jessie Holmes, only because I like his style (at least as it is portrayed) on Life Below Zero. He seems to have a good, healthy perspective on life.

I follow along every year. Had a cabin in the middle of a bunch of mushers and met several. 2014 we were at the start.

Apparently there's been a lot of turn over since I followed growing up... Don't recognize but one or two names anymore.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I watch when Martin Buser was still racing 🤣

Have a friend from high school who is currently doing the bike version of the iditarod, now that blows my freaking mind. Same exact distance, just on a fat tire bike...

A lot of changes with the Iditarod in recent years with dropped sponsors, COVID, etc. But good to see it still going. My wife volunteers at a check point usually every other year. Always fun to watch the strategy unfold.

A lot of changes with the Iditarod in recent years with dropped sponsors, COVID, etc. But good to see it still going. My wife volunteers at a check point usually every other year. Always fun to watch the strategy unfold.
I think there were/are many factors that have been having a negative affect on the race with COVID kind of the crux of the problem.
Apparently there's been a lot of turn over since I followed growing up... Don't recognize but one or two names anymore.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I watch when Martin Buser was still racing 🤣

Have a friend from high school who is currently doing the bike version of the iditarod, now that blows my freaking mind. Same exact distance, just on a fat tire bike...
I know several of the longtime guys have retired or moved on. It seems like every year there are people who only plan to do it once as a bucket list check-off. I also saw that one or two racers were disqualified last month due to personal conduct. Unfortunately, I think one of them was a domestic violence incident.

I think there were/are many factors that have been having a negative affect on the race with COVID kind of the crux of the problem.

I know several of the longtime guys have retired or moved on. It seems like every year there are people who only plan to do it once as a bucket list check-off. I also saw that one or two racers were disqualified last month due to personal conduct. Unfortunately, I think one of them was a domestic violence incident.
Ya saw that. Nasty business but Alaska has always had a problem with domestic violence so good on them for doing something at least.

Heck even my old neighbor got out of the dog sled game. Not that they ever ran the iditarod but feels like the old guard has moved on

I saw that! Also read that Jessie Holmes ran into a moose and punched it in the nose! They're not sure if it was the same one or not. Even though he stopped to do the required gutting he's still up there racing!
I have to think it was the same moose if he punched it in the nose... I'm going to imagine the moose wanted revenge! :ROFLMAO: Can't wait to see the story on that.

Back