IdaHOans, lend me your ears!!!!!

1_pointer

I'm heading up towards Stanley/Hailey/Sun Valley/Ketchum are this weekend. I'd like to do a bit a fishing at least one day and don't know what's available or how to catch it. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I'm guessing you've talked to gunner ? He;s da man probably to talk with
smile.gif
HIM... or Paul C.
wink.gif

1 pointer, "Stand on the third rock down from the bridge, that is out into the river... Cast at a 52 degree angle upstream to the second seam in the current.
You should have a fish...."

That's 'cuz when the hatchery truck guys dump the stockers off the bridge they usually drift downstream about two or three big rocks before they collect their senses and get themselves stabilized!
biggrin.gif
Now we know Gunner's fishing secret-----follow the hatchery truck!
biggrin.gif
Use a fly that looks like Purina Fish Food.
wink.gif

Just as with hunting, walk about two hundred yards away from the main parking area and you'll get into better quality fishing.
smile.gif

In Sun Valley, you have access to some of the world's greatest streams. Silver Creek and the Wood River system. Hemingway fished them... so does Arnold.... and Demi
hump.gif

There are books written how to fish them, where, what, and when... The TNC even owns some big stretches...

I say skip them and head over Galena Summit to the Salmon Drainage. When you cross over the Summit, you have now hit the Longest Free Flowing, Un-Dammed River in the USA. (oops...
mad.gif
this post wasn't in Sportsmans Issues...
footinmouth.gif
).

Anyway, check the regs, but you are in good country from there on. Keep driving and go to Redfish Lake and the Hatchery at Redfish. Redfish Lake has the Lodge, a nice beach, some hiking, a bit too many people, but still pretty.

The lake is named after the Sockeye Salmon that migrate 900 miles to spawn in that river, suviving horrible man made barriers that provide no significant economic benefit, and just kill the salmon... (Oops...still not in SI...
footinmouth.gif
). Check the hatchery out, good for a 20-30 minute walk and look... see the issues on raising hatchery fish.

Drive into Stanley, and you will find reasonable food. There is a bakery that has awesome sandwiches if you turn West at the Junction with Hwy 21, and then South, toward the Airport (1st Left maybe???). Dirt road town.

Leave Stanley, and head downstream on the Hwy along the Main Salmon. Go about 6-8 miles below town to the big METAL bridge, I think it is Rough Creek. Drive across the bridge and park. Walk back across the bridge and and fish below the bridge on the Hwy side. The drift is much better on the Hwy side than on the Mtn. side. Stand on the third rock down from the bridge, that is out into the river... Cast at a 52 degree angle upstream to the second seam in the current.

You should have a fish....
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

There is a ton of good stuff to fish, the area around Ketchum is awesome. All the area in the Salmon drainage above Stanley is good. Pick a side creek and head up. And if you can't find a fish, go hit that bridge.

Make a call to F&G on Thursday, and plead your case, they will help you out. Find the information for that region for F&G. They usually are pretty good on where to go, and what has been stocked.

If you want a fun time, rent the Inflatable Kayaks in Stanley, and do a bit of the easy river close to town. The rental shops will be able to tell you where.

Welcome to My Private Idaho!
cool.gif

and then the Statesman would write an article about the ATV damage,

And Ithica would post a link,

And Ten, White.... well, I think you know where this topic is headed....
tongue.gif

Thanks for the tips. Any advice on baits or tackle (ie lures)? We'll be spin fishing. I promise to give UTM coordinates to all of 'gunner's hot spots on return!
wink.gif

1-Pointer....

Ahh... here is a clue.....
bigOne.sized.jpg
See anything that might work????

Actually, you need to read the regs, all of Idaho has a different set of rules.

Then you need to learn to Fly fish...
wink.gif

You can always try a dry fly and a casting bubble on a fly rod. It works great if you don't have a fly rod with you.

For spinners, just use an assortment, so you might stumble on the right one. The usuals will work, Mepps, Panther Martin, etc.. And you can always use Eggs.

Good luck.

Gunner thanks, but what the hell is that? Seriously, I've looked at it for 5min and can't tell. I'm packing along an assortment of spinners and those fun little dough things. I got home after Sportsmens' was closed.

When do I get to come up for my first lesson?
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-17-2003 21:53: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Hmm, I haven't fished in longer than I care to mention, but kinda looks like a Z-Ray?

Oak

You guys have any idea what Del is gonna do to us if he finds out we are giving fishing advice? He'll probably be banning us like the guys up in Varmint Sections or in AZOD....

13030132.jpg

I thought it was this lure, but I couldn't find the Orange color in Luhrjensen.com But it is the same shape/structure.

Oak,
What the hell do you do? You don't hang out at the New Belgium brewery, you don't kill ducks, you don't kill fish.... You got me stumped... You can't eat all them Antler sheds....
wink.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back