Idaho

elkrack6x6

I am a resident of Arizona who has gotten approval from the wife to possibly relocate. I have always been impressed with Idaho's apparent hunting and fishing opportunities that I have seen not only on the web but the occasional video as well. I am a dedicated outdoorsman who prefers archery hunting over all. I have been "spot and stalk" mule deer hunting since age 17, and been involved with many archery elk hunts (mostly calling), although only been lucky enough to get drawn (elk) twice myself. Which brings me to the reason I have asked for your time and opinions. I know first impression of non-residents even the ones that relocate, come to the state you love and hunt as I have had to adapt to the enormous migration of mostly Californians here in Phoenix. Some are respectful while others could use an ass whooping. I assure you that I am the respectful type. My major questions involve not only hunting and fishing, but the opportunity to raise a healthy family and be financially secure. Here's a few, and you don't have to answer them all but any information is greatly appreciated. 1. Does the archery elk hunt in Idaho fall in the rut to where calling/bugling is useful? 2. How easy is it to get drawn for a quality archery elk hunt? 3. How about the quality as well as availablity of other quality big game hunts (mule deer, antelope, etc) 4. I am a CNC machinest/programmer in the manufacurting of aerospce componentes, is there any industry there to make it easy enough for a hard working individaul to make a decent living? 5. Cost/quality of living? Arizona is great, but it will never be the same as when I was growing up due to the major migration of people. It gets harder and harder every year to draw a good tag and soon will be next to impossible. Not to mention the severe drought and declining mule deer populations. Any inforamtion is sincerely apprecated.

Mike
[email protected]

I'm an Idaho native transplanted 2.5 years ago. I feel your pain on the hunting opportunity. I'm used to going deer, elk, lope, and bear hunting each and every year. For 2 years in a row I've drawn 0 tags here in NV.

Here are my opinions to your questions.

1)yes
2)Over the counter(if you're willing to work for it)
3)Over the counter(if you're willing to work for it)
4)In southern Idaho there are 3 hubs of industry. Boise Valley, Twin Falls, and Idaho Falls. All 3 hubs have good elk, deer, and antelope hunting within a 2 hour drive. All will provide employment opportunity for you. In northern ID industry is growing but still less developed.
5)Cost of living is on the rise. $200k will get you a nice 2000ish sf house in the Boise area, prices are lower in Twin and Idaho Falls.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back