Caribou Gear

Idaho wolves delisted!!!

Ithaca 37

Tonight's news said the delisting of Idaho wolves will happen in about two weeks. They didn't mention whether Montana wolves will be on the same schedule. Wyoming delisting is still uncertain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced today (12/19/06) it will propose delisting Rocky Mountain wolves as endangered in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming by the end of January.
Fish and wildlife director Dale Hall and Todd Willens, Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks met with Gov. Jim Risch early this afternoon to announce their decision.

It comes after federal wildlife officials reached an agreement with Wyoming leaders that would expand the area in that state where wolves would be protected.

But it still allows Wyoming wolves to be managed as predators outside that area, which means they can be shot on sight.

Idaho and Montana already had approved wolf management plans.

Under the proposal, wolves would be delisted in Idaho and Montana even if the Wyoming legislature and Fish and Wildlife commissions don’t approve the agreement there.The public will have 60 days to comment after Fish and Wildlife makes its proposal to delist wolves.

Fish and Wildlife will then have a year to make its final decision.

Willens said the agreement was announced today because it has cleared the necessary people in the Interior Department — including its lawyers.

That’s important because the final decision will likely be challenged in court.

“We wanted to get it right, so it would hold up,” Willens said.

Risch said Idaho looks forward to managing wolves just as it has managed mountain lions and black bears.

He said he’s hopeful when a court challenge comes, a federal court will not issue an injunction stopping the decision to turn management of wolves back to the state.

“If that’s the case, we will have management in less than 12 months,” Rich said."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/64271.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's more: "Idahoans could be hunting wolves within 12 months, when Gov. Jim Risch and state wildlife officials take over managing the state's wolves as federal officials proposed Tuesday.
Federal wildlife officials told the Idaho Statesman Tuesday they plan to remove wolves from the endangered species list in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, turning over management of the predators to the states.

The removal of the wolf from the endangered species list would be the culmination of one of the most heralded conservation success stories of the 20th century. But for many Idahoans, especially ranchers and hunters, it has forced a difficult transition.

Wolves were re-introduced in a controversial program that began with 35 wolves in 1995-96.

Idaho Fish and Game commissioners said they plan to establish regulations for hunting wolves that will be in place when delisting is final.

Before that happens, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service must publish in the Federal Register its proposal to delist, which Dale Hall, the agency's director said would come by the end of January. The public will have at least 60 days to comment; a final decision is expected a year from the publication.

Opponents of delisting, however, worry that Idaho and Wyoming will reduce wolf numbers to minimum levels allowed and are expected to try to halt the delisting in court. That could delay the day when the state takes over wolf management.

Hall and Todd Willens, assistant Interior secretary for fish, wildlife and parks, told Risch Tuesday they will seek to delist in all three states if Wyoming agrees to expand the area where wolves are protected in that state.

Hall and Willens had met earlier Tuesday with Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal and other lawmakers, who indicated they would go along with the new federal plan.

"We have every reason to believe they will," Willens said.

But even if Wyoming doesn't agree, federal officials would go ahead with delisting in Idaho and Montana, Hall said.

That's what Idaho officials have been demanding for several years as the wolf population has grown beyond all expectations since wolves were released in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness in 1995.

Idaho has more than 650 wolves, twice the minimum number the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said was necessary for preserving the viability of the species in the Rocky Mountain region.

"This is way overdue," Risch said Tuesday. "They have admitted that wolves are no longer endangered in Idaho."

Fish and Wildlife officials have been negotiating with Wyoming for several months, seeking to bridge their differences over a Wyoming law that would allow wolves to be shot on sight outside a trophy-hunting zone.

The federal agency decided Tuesday that if the state could expand the trophy area — where wolves would be managed as a game animal — it could allow unlimited wolf killing outside that zone.

"It's not any different than what we are doing now," said Mitch King, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regional director from Denver. "What's the difference if someone else is shooting them?"

Idaho would be able to approve similar shoot-on-sight rules once wolves are removed from endangered status, King said.

But Idaho Fish and Game Commission Chairman Cameron Wheeler said Idaho plans to manage wolves as a game animal, just as it does mountain lions and black bears. Hunters have to buy a special tag before they can kill these big predators.

"That's the template we would probably use," Wheeler said. "I envision it would be like big game seasons with maybe a little more time on each end."

The state increases the limits on lions and bears when it seeks to reduce their numbers, such as to allow elk populations to grow or where the predators cause livestock depredation problems.

Suzanne Stone, Rocky Mountain representative of the Defenders of Wildlife, worries that Idaho will seek to kill off as many wolves as possible — aiming for the minimum number of about 100 allowed in the state management plan.

The Idaho Legislature advocated eradication of wolves and accepted responsibility to protect a minimum population only to delist wolves.

"Under the current political climate, delisting will definitely lead to a great reduction of wolves in Idaho," Stone said.

Nate Helm, executive director of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, said he would like to see wolf numbers greatly reduced

"After delisting occurs, we have the autonomy to adjust to the reality of what we have today," Helm said.

This year, wolves have killed more than 300 sheep and 100 cattle in the Council area alone, said Lloyd Knight, executive director of the Idaho Cattle Association. He asks opponents like Stone to consider his members' situation.

"For those that don't think delisting is a good idea, if they would like me to break into their home and steal a couple thousand dollars worth of property, then maybe they might understand my folks' perspective on wolves," Knight said.

Defenders of Wildlife pays compensation to ranchers for confirmed cases of livestock killed by wolves, Stone said.

And Wheeler said state officials won't authorize a wolf slaughter. F&G won't necessarily open the season immediately after wolves are delisted, and would not, for example, open the first season while wolves are raising pups in the spring.

Sen. David Langhorst, D-Boise, was among the people advocating wolf reintroduction in 1995. Delisting would prove Westerners are humble enough to allow the wild animals to return and smart enough to manage them so they don't destroy people's livelihoods and sports, he said.

"I would see getting a tag and being able to hunt and stalk wolves with a bow and arrow as closing the circle," Langhorst said.

Even if there's a legal challenge, Risch said he's hopeful a federal court will not issue an injunction stopping the decision to turn management of wolves back to the state.

"If that's the case, we will have management in less than 12 months," Risch said."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/64355.html

So what team are you guy's going to root for on this one? FWS or DOW? I'm rooting for the Bush Administration lead FWS. Hope the lawyers have all this figured out and DOW gets to piss away a sizeable amount of their warchest for nothing!

I am voting for delisting of wolves (aren't we all?). To me, This is more important then waiting to see if USFWS or if WY Game and Fish blinks first.

I heard another brief piece on this last night on the local news that had a quote of looking as though there could be a controlled hunt the first year, although no mention of it in any release. We are certainly getting closer!

It's time to start thinking about wolf hunting strategy! I'll probably use my
.257 Roberts AI with 100 or 87 grain Noslers. I think I'll get a recording of hound dogs barking "treed" for a call. Set up in an area with plenty of elk and fresh wolf sign.

It's time to start thinking about wolf hunting strategy! I'll probably use my
.257 Roberts AI with 100 or 87 grain Noslers. I think I'll get a recording of hound dogs barking "treed" for a call. Set up in an area with plenty of elk and fresh wolf sign.

WHAT, no tracking in the snow!

Bow hunting for wolf is where the challenge really is Ithaca. Bring them in with a lost calf elk sound. Has worked in the past for me. The again if I'm out just to kill one and not the challenge then I'll probably just use the 7mm-08 with handloaded 150 Fusions.

The first couple years will be the best bet to get a wolf...I've heard they're not real smart to predator calls.

A good friend of mine used to hunt coyotes in the winter as a job in the late 70's early 80's. Called them all in and typically shot 50+ per winter. Coyote hides were averaging $80-$90 then and he sold one for $162. I've hunted coyotes with him several times and he's got it figured out...and he's anxious to try calling in a wolf...I can hardly wait!

I think I'm going to opt for the cow bell. I like the "pack of hounds" though... You think Foxpro would put that in thier next electronic call?

Bambi...dont lie...tell the truth...you'll be hunting wolves with your flock of ewes for decoys...ONLY used as decoys...Yeah Right.

Article from my local paper:

Published December 20, 2006
Comments Print E-Mail Subscribe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolves to lose protections in Idaho, Mont. next month

JOHN MILLER
BOISE, Idaho - The head of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Tuesday his agency will start removing federal protections from gray wolves in Montana and Idaho by January, regardless of whether Wyoming has submitted an acceptable plan to manage its own wolves by then.

Wyoming's plan is tied up in lawsuits, and Fish and Wildlife Director Dale Hall said his agency is moving ahead with Idaho and Montana, where management plans are already in place.

Defenders of Wildlife, which advocates on behalf of wolves, vowed to fight the move, saying delisting by state is illegal.

Wolves were reintroduced to the northern Rocky Mountains a decade ago after being hunted to near-extinction, and now number more than 1,200 in the region. With the rising population, state officials including Idaho Gov. Jim Risch and Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer have been pushing the Fish and Wildlife Service to remove Endangered Species Act protections that the officials say hamper control efforts aimed at stopping the predators from eating livestock, as well as elk that are prized by hunters.

"They will be managed just as cats (cougars) and black bears are managed," said Risch, following a meeting Tuesday with Hall in Boise. "Certainly, there will be a reduction from what there is right now. Because of the explosion in numbers, they've got to be controlled."

The region where wolves would no longer have federal protections would include all of Idaho, Montana, eastern Washington and Oregon and a small sliver of northeastern Utah. Wolves that wander outside those areas would still fall under federal protections, said Mitch King, a Fish and Wildlife Service regional director in Denver.

Under the federal plan, states could have complete oversight of their wolves within 12 months, Risch said.

Idaho is estimated to have 650 wolves in about 60 packs, while Montana has 270 and Wyoming 309.

After delisting, Idaho's federally approved wolf-management plan requires maintaining a minimum of 15 packs, while Montana has a benchmark of 15 breeding pairs.

Both states already have most day-to-day oversight of their wolves; sanctioned control actions every year kill dozens of the predators suspected of killing or harassing cattle. Still, Idaho and Montana lack the authority to schedule legal hunts or kill wolves for reasons such as helping restore elk herds.

Defenders of Wildlife, a conservation group that has paid $700,000 since 1987 to ranchers hit by wolf predation, underscored its argument that delisting by state, rather than by the entire region including Wyoming where the wolves now roam, violates the Endangered Species Act and would undermine the integrity of wolf recovery plans.

"I would expect to see conservation groups fighting this," said Suzanne Stone, a group spokeswoman in Boise. "Everybody is hoping we get to delisting. But the factors that caused the initial eradication of wolves in the region have to be addressed before delisting. We're not there yet."

Hall said his agency concluded it needed to move forward with delisting to reward states like Idaho and Montana that have significant numbers of wolves, as well as management plans in place.

"Our attorneys are very comfortable with this," Hall told The Associated Press. "This is happening because it's the right thing to do. It's tied to all of us trying to make the Endangered Species Act work the way it's supposed to work."

If Wyoming lawmakers pass an acceptable plan next year, federal protections could be lifted there, too, Hall said.

The federal government so far has rejected Wyoming's proposal, concerned that it doesn't do enough to keep wolf numbers there from plummeting again. Wyoming's plan calls for leaving the animals alone in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, allowing trophy hunting next to the parks - and allowing wolves elsewhere to be shot on sight as predators.

In an effort to end the impasse, Hall on Monday met with Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal to discuss issues such as expanding the areas set aside for trophy hunting.

Freudenthal called the meeting "great progress from where we were" but pledged to continue Wyoming's legal fight.

Hall also met Monday with Schweitzer, who called their discussion constructive.

Looks like maybe 2008 for the first wolf season?

I like the little bones thrown out there to get the attention of WY.

Hall said his agency concluded it needed to move forward with delisting to reward states like Idaho and Montana that have significant numbers of wolves, as well as management plans in place.

If Wyoming lawmakers pass an acceptable plan next year, federal protections could be lifted there, too, Hall said.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back