Idaho Unit 18 Rifle.

Wheaties270

Was lucky enough to draw unit 18 in Idaho! I’ve only bear hunted it in the spring. Super excited to get in there and see the country in the fall. Anyone have this tag last year? Curious on elk numbers and bull quality. I usually hunt 23 OTC.

I had the tag a few years ago.
Lots of elk.
We didn’t see one big bull.
Biggest was maybe 260.
I was disappointed with trophy quality for as many elk as we saw.

I had the tag a few years ago.
Lots of elk.
We didn’t see one big bull.
Biggest was maybe 260.
I was disappointed with trophy quality for as many elk as we saw.

What part of the unit were you in? Ive been looking at hiking in towards dry diggins ridge and lookout.

What part of the unit were you in? Ive been looking at hiking in towards dry diggins ridge and lookout.
I am putting in for the Idaho 18 unit for rifle elk this year. Couple things, how was your hunt successful? Did you end up hiking out to dry diggins (I've been e-scouting the area)? Was there a lot of pressure from other hunters and or outfitters in the area? I'm not looking for anyone's spots but what should I avoid to get away from other hunters?

I hunted it in 2016. Saw lots of elk. Missed a 350 bull and saw a bigger one once, but never could get on him again settled for a 260 is 6*6
I'm looking to put in for that tag this year. Are there any outfitters that set up in 18? I want to avoid that pressure if possible, and don't want to scout country this summer that is overrun with outfitters in the fall

I'm looking to put in for that tag this year. Are there any outfitters that set up in 18? I want to avoid that pressure if possible, and don't want to scout country this summer that is overrun with outfitters in the fall
Hells canyon. If you can draw the archery tag, you have a nice chance at nice bull. Rifle season its a zoo. From the top of cows creek to race creek and the road that wraps around out toward hell canyon is party central. There are a lot of tags idfg gives out. I driven through during rifle (october), and the first two weeks looks like a tailgating party at heinze field before a steelers game. I am not kidding. 2014 I drew a cow there. I shot a cow, Tough cow. Found where she bedded down to die, lung blood everywhere. Waited for a half hour to let her bleed out. no cow to be seen, just to cart tracks. She had wondered back up towards the road and someone had carted her away. Hells canyon is beautiful but for the two weeks opening rifle. unit 18 is a lot like the haul road in alaska. Best of luck, at least enjoy the scenery.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back