Idaho unit 11 Mule deer rut

NIdaho87

Hello I finally drew an amazing mule deer tag in Idahos unit 11 nov 10-25. Just looking for info on basic mule deer rut hunting. It’s tough country and I have plenty of scouting time setup for October but its a large area and I’m looking to get a head start. Also curious if anyone has experience in this unit hunting from the snake river I don’t have a jet boat so this would be tough but Im pretty sure i can get shuttled up and dropped off? I’ve heard the deer will move to lower elevations during the cold but snow probably won’t be an issue here so wondering if that still would be true?

Welcome, stick around and contribute and by the time the hunt comes around you should have made a good impression on the “locals” here 🤪 you might find the information you’re looking for, so many come on here and expect spots with there first/last posts lol
Matt

In November, that river should be pretty easy to cross width any stable sort of canoe, kayak, pontoon raft, etc. Your issue is going to be getting a good access point from the WA side of the river.

In November, that river should be pretty easy to cross width any stable sort of canoe, kayak, pontoon raft, etc. Your issue is going to be getting a good access point from the WA side of the river.
Ya that’s a good option I’ve got a drift boat and might just float from the mouth of the grande Ronde River down for a couple of days just feel like that section of the unit probably gets pressured pretty hard as it’s probably the easiest option.

Its mean country all the way around and I don't think deer quality is as good as some tend to think the unit holds.

Find the pockets you can't see from the river. Benches, and side canyons. If there is rain or snow they don't need to go to the river for water. As always, look for the does. If one is alone the buck likely is bedded nearby. Usually uphill from the doe. Rattling has worked well for me on Idaho Whitetails in the end of November. Not sure if it would work on Mulies there. I wouldn't hold out for a Booner there unless you spotted one before the season. (pretty unlikely)

Its mean country all the way around and I don't think deer quality is as good as some tend to think the unit holds.
Ya I spend alot of time down there fishing it’s definitely rough country but nothing I can’t handle. And I’m not expecting a giant deer. I don’t get to hunt mule deer often so just a respectable 4 point would be great. Over 150”s and its dead

Find the pockets you can't see from the river. Benches, and side canyons. If there is rain or snow they don't need to go to the river for water. As always, look for the does. If one is alone the buck likely is bedded nearby. Usually uphill from the doe. Rattling has worked well for me on Idaho Whitetails in the end of November. Not sure if it would work on Mulies there. I wouldn't hold out for a Booner there unless you spotted one before the season. (pretty unlikely)
Thanks for the advice. I’m just looking for a decent 4 point but I do have lots of scouting time and 15 days of hunting so hopefully I can find a good one

FWIW, I see most of the mule deer (edit: on the west side of the Snake) either right in the back yards along the river, or at around 3500-4500 feet in elevation on the ridges. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to look a little higher. I would focus on the 2500-5000 foot elevation bands and look for the areas 2rocky suggested. Personally, I'd probably be more apt to hunt it from the top, but not just walking out the ridges and glassing. Plan on dumping 1k feet in elevation to give you visibility to some of the hidey holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good info here. I had the same tag last year and its a unit I've hunted a few times before in the early season. First the bad news: deer numbers are a fraction of what they were in that unit even 4 years ago when I last hunted the area. That said - there is some rugged country and there are places where a buck can live a long time and get big...and with the rut...who knows where he could pop up. I wouldn't anticipate much of a migration...unless its an off the charts cold/snowy winter they will be on top and all the way down to the rivers. Getting to places that are not visible from roads or the river are probably your best bets...much easier said than done. I wish I had a picture of a 170" buck to help motivate you - but I ended up taking a smaller 4pt - and it was the 2nd biggest buck I saw in the 6 days I hunted. While it was one of the smaller mule deer bucks I've ever taken - the memory of the pack out will be ingrained in my mind forever...hands/knees crawling steep...my buddy who was afraid of heights was not enjoying himself! Its very scenic country, so if you keep your expectations in check and go with a nothing to lose attitude...you will have a great time.

Lots of good info here. I had the same tag last year and its a unit I've hunted a few times before in the early season. First the bad news: deer numbers are a fraction of what they were in that unit even 4 years ago when I last hunted the area. That said - there is some rugged country and there are places where a buck can live a long time and get big...and with the rut...who knows where he could pop up. I wouldn't anticipate much of a migration...unless its an off the charts cold/snowy winter they will be on top and all the way down to the rivers. Getting to places that are not visible from roads or the river are probably your best bets...much easier said than done. I wish I had a picture of a 170" buck to help motivate you - but I ended up taking a smaller 4pt - and it was the 2nd biggest buck I saw in the 6 days I hunted. While it was one of the smaller mule deer bucks I've ever taken - the memory of the pack out will be ingrained in my mind forever...hands/knees crawling steep...my buddy who was afraid of heights was not enjoying himself! Its very scenic country, so if you keep your expectations in check and go with a nothing to lose attitude...you will have a great time.
It’s going to be a tough but fun hunt. Really looking forward to it. I’m from North Idaho so steep country and long hikes are nothing new to me. Appreciate the advice!

FWIW, I see most of the mule deer (edit: on the west side of the Snake) either right in the back yards along the river, or at around 3500-4500 feet in elevation on the ridges. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to look a little higher. I would focus on the 2500-5000 foot elevation bands and look for the areas 2rocky suggested. Personally, I'd probably be more apt to hunt it from the top, but not just walking out the ridges and glassing. Plan on dumping 1k feet in elevation to give you visibility to some of the hidey holes.
Thanks this is really helpful. I’m not afraid to put some miles on so hopefully I can find the sweet spots

I had the late tag in 2013. I saw several bucks but none I would call big. Despite what I saw (or didn’t see), I do see photos every once in a while of good bucks taken in Unit 11. So, I know some are around.

We hunted from the river and from the top. If you do not have your own boat or a buddy with a boat who will go with you, I would plan on hunting from the top. I don’t think being dropped off in one spot and being basically stuck there would be the best way to hunt that unit. The bucks were rutting pretty hard the first four days of season when I was there. I got mine that fourth evening and he was with a bunch of does.

It is steep but awesome country. Good luck and enjoy your hunt!

Every bar in America has this figured out.
Give the pretty ladies a drink for half price or less. They will come. The rutting boys will be right behind them with more desire than brains.
Check out google earth or whatever system you like. Look for green in the middle of brown, usually in a deep hole. Pick out a couple of these places that cannot be seen from a river or road but can be walked to without too much difficulty. Now, as others have said, watch for does. Sit on does. The bucks know where the does are and cruise from group to group looking for heat. It is easier to punch a cruising buck than a bouncing buck you just bumped outta a thicket. Good luck.

Just curious if you had any info on camping up there? And how the roads might be come November. Contemplating bringing a four wheeler or mountain bike as well. Looks like there’s very few roads from my e scouting. I’ll be headed down next weekend but will most likely just be checking different roads and looking for a camp site. Any advice?

Just curious if you had any info on camping up there? And how the roads might be come November. Contemplating bringing a four wheeler or mountain bike as well. Looks like there’s very few roads from my e scouting. I’ll be headed down next weekend but will most likely just be checking different roads and looking for a camp site. Any advice?
Plenty of places to find a camp site along the road system - most years even in November I wouldn't expect any issues traveling on the main road. I would definitely bring a 4 wheeler though - there are at least a few roads that are technically open to full size rigs...but they can be a pain even in good weather so an atv makes getting around to some of those areas a lot easier. There were at least a few camps around some of the major areas last year - but with the reduction in deer tags and elimination of cow tags this year I would expect to see a whole lot fewer people during your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back