Idaho unit 10 and 12

Benchleg90

Been looking into these units. Anybody ever hunted them? Any info would be great.

Also looking for general knowledge about the regs in Idaho. I am a little confused about the A and B tags. After looking at the IFG web page I think I can buy a Lolo tag and hunt 10 and 12 for any bull with a bow for the month of september??? Sound right?

Thanks for any help, bench

I'll get you some info on here in the next day or so. But yes, if you are wanting to archery hunt in september you'll want to get an A tag.

TheTone said:
I'll get you some info on here in the next day or so. But yes, if you are wanting to archery hunt in september you'll want to get an A tag.

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some reading and it looks like I am going to need some kind of forest permit also.

Has anyone ever hunted these units??

Shouldn't need any sort of forest permit to my knowledge. For a couple years you were supposed to have them on FS Road 500 for part of the season due to anticipated, but never happening, Lewis and Clark bicentennial traffic. That is the only forest permit I was aware of and I believe has passed. I would expect next years regs to be out in April with very little if any changes on those units.

TheTone said:
Shouldn't need any sort of forest permit to my knowledge. For a couple years you were supposed to have them on FS Road 500 for part of the season due to anticipated, but never happening, Lewis and Clark bicentennial traffic. That is the only forest permit I was aware of and I believe has passed. I would expect next years regs to be out in April with very little if any changes on those units.

Do you know when these tags usually sell out? I see that some of the B tags are already gone!!

Tone is correct.The Forest Service permit should not be needed by next year.The B tags as you noted are starting to sell out already and the A tags will be mostly gone by spring.

Know your asking bout Unit 10. Just sending info I have on a nearby unit.
I hunted the 10A 'B' Tag, season before last. Lots of small bulls and road hunters & ATVs. You'll have to work hard, (a boat would be good) ta get a big one. Hunting pressure I would categorize as lite. Wouldn't rule out a wall hanger, just is going to take some work if your on a do it yourself hunt and not being able to do some scouting.

Dean
WW

Water Wapiti said:
Know your asking bout Unit 10. Just sending info I have on a nearby unit.
I hunted the 10A 'B' Tag, season before last. Lots of small bulls and road hunters & ATVs. You'll have to work hard, (a boat would be good) ta get a big one. Hunting pressure I would categorize as lite. Wouldn't rule out a wall hanger, just is going to take some work if your on a do it yourself hunt and not being able to do some scouting.

Dean
WW

Is 10A in the elk city zone? We have aslo looked at that area. Thanks for the info. We have been thinking about making a trip over there is summer and looking around a little. From what I understand the Lewis and Clard trail road "500 road??" is a good starting point?

10 A is the dworshak zone. I hunt it and my personal opinion of it is not real high. I think my main reason to hunt it is a know it really well and do have some success. Sure there are some pockets with elk, but if a quality bull is what you want I'd look elsewhere. As for the road hunters and ATV's in that unit, that is probably my biggest complaint. Lots of Potlatch ground which means lots of roads and lots of lazy batages riding all over "hunting". The Elk City zone is units 14, 15, and 16. Some really good traditional elk country in their, although many of the habitat problems in the Clearwater region are well represented there. I know some people that hunt it who do really poor, but a couple of bowhunters I know who backpack in and basically camp in sleeping bags under a tarp have done real well the past couple years. For units 10 and 12 I have never personally hunted them but know people that do. Elk numbers aren't what they were, but the success rates still aren't too bad. I would think that with the way the 500 road runs that there is probably quite a bit of pressure centered around it. To use it as a parking spot/trailhead and then sent up a spike camp back in a ways may not be a bad idea however. Calling the IDFG clearwater office would probably be a great way to get some more info as well.

And on the 11th day, God resurrected old hunting threads asking about waypoints. And God said, “though shall never give thy waypoints to the strays”.
I first hunted this unit a decade before the creation of this thread. It just seemed like a good day to revel in satire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back