Idaho Trophy Big Game

SagebrushSlayer

A couple questions....

1.) Is Idaho still a once in a lifetime kill on big game species(Moose,Sheep,Goat)?

2.) I was told that in Idaho you can draw both a cow moose and a bull moose, any validity to this? ( I know that you wouldn't get both drawn in the same year)

3.) I would assume that once you draw either a CH buck/bull tag, the next year you can't put in for either, so do you apply for Trophy Big Game species?

I am interested in possibly applying for a sheep tag in a couple areas, as well as a cow moose. I know I can only choose one a year and would be smarter too save for the possibility of taxidermy, scouting and boots on ground hunting for the Sheep. Can you draw and hunt both a Cali and a Rocky Mtn Sheep depending on which units you put in for? Thanks for the help.

Idaho is still a once in the lifetime on trophy species barring cow moose. You can draw one cow moose tag for your once in a lifetime and then purchase OTC cow moose tags in the following years. You can draw a cow moose and a bull moose but not in the same year.
your 3rd question is yes you would put in for trophy species.
You can put in for trophy species and still put in for bear and extra controlled hunts in the same year and depredation hunts.
You can draw california sheep which are units south of interstate 84 and draw for a rocky mtn. sheep but I don't believe you can in the same year if I understand what you are asking.
Hope this helps; good luck

Oh and if you are looking for a good Idaho bull moose I would hurry since these hunts are going to be increasingly limited or non-existent in some parts of the state.

Not sure what exactly you mean on question #3. If you draw a CH bull tag you can't put in for another CH bull tag the next year. If you draw a CH buck tag you can't put in the next year. The two are not connected. You could put in for and draw a bull tag one year and a buck the next. The new moose info should be out soon.

Howa's right, you can't put in for Rocky Mountain and California Sheep in the same year. Also, if you do draw a moose or sheep tag and don't fill it (a very expense souvenir for a non-res) you are barred form putting into the draw for two years. But, if there are any leftover tags (there are usually a few leftover cow moose hunts) anyone can apply for those. Clear as mud right?

6speed- thanks for clearing that up, i had it in my head incorrectly

Howa- its good to know about the Xtags and depredation. I really think the depredation system needs treated just like all other tags/licenses, instead of the region admin asst. filing it in a folder in case a depredation hunt comes up. I could go off on that.

I just assumed putting in for trophy species ment you could apply for any of the deer, elk, or antelope permits.

Can you only draw one bighorn tag (either species) or can you draw 1 Cali tag, shoot one......many years later draw a Rocky Mtn tag and shoot one?

Thanks for the educating guys :)

Cali rams and bighorn rams are considered two different specie and you can draw one of each in you lifetime. Moose hunts were cut back or canceled in many units this year and a few tags were added in other units. Moose tags are way down and it appears that trend is going to continue. Like HH said if you want an Idaho moose you might jump on that opportunity while it's there.

Oh and if you are looking for a good Idaho bull moose I would hurry since these hunts are going to be increasingly limited or non-existent in some parts of the state.

I am glad that I got my Moose tag a couple years ago, trying for sheep now.

BOY's had a moose, sheep, and mtn goat tags all in the last five years... I need some luck like that!

Back