Idaho tags capped now!

Duck-Slayer

Unit specific general deer tags, 10% NR limit on all A and B elk tags. Well I feel for you NR guys but it’s coming for all western states eventually I think. All states may eventually go to residents only, hopefully not in my lifetime. Who knows with the increase in populations across the western states.
Matt

All states may eventually go to residents only, hopefully not in my lifetime.
Have you ever witnessed the blowback to a $4 resident tag price increase? That's why there will always be non-resident hunters.

Some areas are easy to get to and an easy walk. I would say I generally support limiting the tags in those areas. Like you say though, see if it even makes a difference. There is generally another hunter waiting to pull into every empty parking space.

As much as I wish this would make a difference on hunter crowding I bet it won't even be noticeable, you only cut the least motivated 5-10% of the already only 10-20% nonresidents in a given area?
no western state seems to want to address the fact that exploding resident numbers are a way bigger issue for OTC crowding than nonresidents... but as said above, you cant even raise resident prices by a couple of dollars without so much outcry that you would think they outlawed elk hunting, I can only imagine the whining if CO and ID did away with OTC and actually managed hunter numbers...

As much as I wish this would make a difference on hunter crowding I bet it won't even be noticeable, you only cut the least motivated 5-10% of the already only 10-20% nonresidents in a given area?
no western state seems to want to address the fact that exploding resident numbers are a way bigger issue for OTC crowding than nonresidents... but as said above, you cant even raise resident prices by a couple of dollars without so much outcry that you would think they outlawed elk hunting, I can only imagine the whining if CO and ID did away with OTC and actually managed hunter numbers...
Right! Just talk about a price bump of $5 and people say they're being priced out while they drive to camp in their $60K truck towing a $50k toy hauler with a $20k UTV.

Right! Just talk about a price bump of $5 and people say they're being priced out while they drive to camp in their $60K truck towing a $50k toy hauler with a $20k UTV.

Oregon just published the 2021 regs. Tons of people complaining on social media about the price increases.

The price increases of $0... They didn't even read the regs before screeching.

I’ll have to give it a listen. I’m sure they’re hurting with there huge private ranch
I don’t know what those guys hunting or financial situation is but the podcast is geared towards how it will affect the average non resident hunter who wants to come to Idaho.

It’ll be tough only hunting one unit. When I hunt multiple units a year I see hundreds of residents parked on the roads glassin or ATV huntin...now I’ll only see a few dozen. Gonna miss y’all :(
Me - "Any luck?"

Every guy I pass - "No. There's nothing around I have put dam near 100 miles on my quad today and haven't glassed up anything."

Me holding my binos up backwards to look at the hillside -"yeah me neither"
Try to do it with a straight face....

as a new hunter of 2 seasons only so far, my only experience has been huge crowds here in CO, but i'm dealing with it and still being successful
with that being said: i'd go as far as saying i'll be glad to pay DOUBLE of what my current resident tags cost if that meant 1/2 the crowds. *i understand i'd likely not draw as many tags, but if it means quality hunt with less pressure, i'd be OK with that too. of keep tags at same numbers and just double the price, i'll still pay it.

with the big price increases in Idaho for non -res going into 2021,this could easily be my last hunt in Idaho this year,,of course that's what I keep telling myself.

Me - "Any luck?"

Every guy I pass - "No. There's nothing around I have put dam near 100 miles on my quad today and haven't glassed up anything."

Me holding my binos up backwards to look at the hillside -"yeah me neither"
Try to do it with a straight face....
I've has this exact same thing happen on one of the main roads in Jarbidge NV. We had our trailer parked just off the main road and had our chairs and spotting scope set up watching deer above camp while several guys rode atv's past us about every 30 minutes.
If even one of them had stopped to look up the hillside they would have seen the bucks we were looking at.
I guess it's pretty hard to spot anything from a moving atv.

as a new hunter of 2 seasons only so far, my only experience has been huge crowds here in CO, but i'm dealing with it and still being successful
with that being said: i'd go as far as saying i'll be glad to pay DOUBLE of what my current resident tags cost if that meant 1/2 the crowds. *i understand i'd likely not draw as many tags, but if it means quality hunt with less pressure, i'd be OK with that too. of keep tags at same numbers and just double the price, i'll still pay it.
Why not just buy landowner tags and hunt somewhere less pressured? It doesn't make much sense to me, people advocating for price increases for the general public when they have the funds to find better opportunity. Most people just want an opportunity. I don't think price is a way we should regulate hunter pressure.

Why not just buy landowner tags and hunt somewhere less pressured? It doesn't make much sense to me, people advocating for price increases for the general public when they have the funds to find better opportunity. Most people just want an opportunity. I don't think price is a way we should regulate hunter pressu

Landowner tag would require me to have access to a private property which i dont. so how is that going to help me?
and having funds to pay double of what i'm currently paying for resident tags does not equate to having funds to find better *(private) opportunity if thats what you were getting at. $50 tag as a CO resident, if i had to pay $100 i still would, thats not the same as having funds to afford a private/guided hunt,

Landowner tag would require me to have access to a private property which i dont. so how is that going to help me?
and having funds to pay double of what i'm currently paying for resident tags does not equate to having funds to find better *(private) opportunity if thats what you were getting at. $50 tag as a CO resident, if i had to pay $100 i still would, thats not the same as having funds to afford a private/guided hunt,
In NM you can get unit wide landowner tags. I'm thinking about non resident cost, which was $600+, definitely not as much for you, but I'd still never give up opportunity to hunt. We hunted CO this year, got into elk, never saw people and never burned a point...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back