Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho spring bear

First time coming out there this spring, not looking for where to go just wanting info on access into 21, 21A, and 28 1st of June in regards to snow. Thanks

First time coming out there this spring, not looking for where to go just wanting info on access into 21, 21A, and 28 1st of June in regards to snow. Thanks
Bring chainsaw, tow strap&winch, shovel and some form of sat communication. Lots of burns and expect to have to open roads if snow has melted enough, deadfall everywhere and some rockslides. NF doesnt open gates on time and does ZERO maitenance on anything not used commercially.

Added: dont rely on MPUV map, its not accurate. Gates, dates and roads have multiple mis markings

Appreciate the information, sounds like it will be quite the adventure, no matter what will beat being at work!

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Avoid anything within 2-3 hours of Boise unless you like hunting with lots of friends.

I’ve hunted your bottom three units and Frank Church. There are places you can get away from people in all the units. All the units have bears. 27 is a two bear unit with the second tag being much cheaper. It’s a cool unit if you are capable of that type of rugged hunt.

Timing is right however I don’t hunt June as much because I get busy with other things. I see more bears in May.

You can buy a wolf tag but you’ll probably not see one.

Good luck! It’s really cool to see black bears graze out in green grass like cattle.

Other late thought is that being close to Boise can be an issue from the amount of bear baiting. Bears change their habits if they have lunch ready in a barrel.

Hey Guys,

Units:

My personal experience:

Frank Church: genetics are towards the smaller sized bears but what you can’t do with genetics you can make up for in age class. Watchout for the dead zones where there are vast tracts of vacant lands. You could be hunting those the entire season and not see a single bear. When you get into them you get into them thick like you just walked into an Ewok village. I once shot a bear only to watch the entire mountain wake up and crawl away. I know the star wars plug is cheesy, but literally look for habitat that looks like Endor with the ferns and the pine trees and you are golden. True story, I once harvested the first bear of the year shooting one on the opener in the Frank. Since it opens April 1st it is a good place to fill a 2nd tag before you fill your first tag.

Unit 12: A great unit for baiting. A great unit for the early hunt as well. Jet black with a blue nose is pretty much your only option for color phase in the unit. Either be an alpine sniper shooting past 500 yards or lose visibility closing distance.

Unit 39: When I hear people complaining about crowds, I get a little giggly inside. Never have I ever come across another bear hunter while being a rocks throw from the roads. My 10 yr old and I saw 10 bears in a weekend. I have seen 9 different bears in one canyon alone. It’s not proximity to Boise that brings the numbers up on this unit. There are a TON of bears in this unit. The biologists know every nook and cranny in the unit. They always seem to know where all my bears are coming out of before I mention on the survey.

Unit 33: good late season spring spot. The bears will sleep in on this unit. Highest density outside of the control units. Lots and lots of bears but little ones.

Unit 43: Where everyone goes thinking they will avoid the crowds just to be with the crowds. If there is a banner year for Mormon crickets the bears lose all concern for personal safety and just engorge themselves on the black hoppers. They fatten right up from all the protein. They look like round rolly pollies. They will be in the open sagebrush gorging on the crickets.

Units 1 and 4: No experience.

Lots of good info hear. Going to be tricky to time the snowmelt this spring, depending on how longs these storms keep rolling in.

We're planning on going otc,heading out the first week of June. I plan on archery spot/stalk and bringing my daughter some of the time with a rifle. Not set on a unit yet, but my research has me considering 33 due to reduced cost license, proximity to RV parks, and other factors. We'll probably wander off to some other units for the heck of it, I'd like to see the Frank Church.

I have no knowledge of baiting bears, but I would assume it's generally easier than spot/stalk? I don't have the desire to sit bait, but If the chances are good I'd like to set the wife up to get one. We plan to be there for a couple of weeks, and I assume that's enough time to get a bait station going? Any tips or recommended tips/tricks articles for baiting?

Any boondocking areas that I can get a 40ft fifth wheel into and hunt from would be nice if anyone has any recommendations.

I have hunted unit 1 and 4 quite a bit. When I hunt 4 it is with my hounds. Unit 4 is bait and hound dog central. I wouldn’t recommend it for spot and stalk unless you have very specific intel on where to go. There’s some pockets for spot and stalk but you would have to stumble on or have some knowledge. Unit 1 -no bait or hounds but I think it can be a tougher spot and stalk unit just because it is really thick country. I would focus on 12 in northern idaho I don’t know about the other units listed farther south

We're planning on going otc,heading out the first week of June. I plan on archery spot/stalk and bringing my daughter some of the time with a rifle. Not set on a unit yet, but my research has me considering 33 due to reduced cost license, proximity to RV parks, and other factors. We'll probably wander off to some other units for the heck of it, I'd like to see the Frank Church.

I have no knowledge of baiting bears, but I would assume it's generally easier than spot/stalk? I don't have the desire to sit bait, but If the chances are good I'd like to set the wife up to get one. We plan to be there for a couple of weeks, and I assume that's enough time to get a bait station going? Any tips or recommended tips/tricks articles for baiting?

Any boondocking areas that I can get a 40ft fifth wheel into and hunt from would be nice if anyone has any recommendations.
I’ve had bears take close to a month to find a bait. There is also the possibility you’ll only have bears hitting it that are ones you don’t want to or can’t kill. The last time I baited basically all I did was feed a sow and her cubs. The amount of work was high and eventually I just stopped baiting it and let them clean it out.

Free blanket party to the next hunter who shoots a grizzly or sow with cubs. I'm supplying the blankets.

DIY baiting is not easier than Spot and Stalk. None of the videos out there show the PITA that is going to the regional IDFG office to get a bait permit, selecting and building a bait site, finding a supply of good bait, carrying in gobs of bait daily to keep the site fresh, managing scent. Blah Blah. NRs wanting to sit on bait should call an outfitter.

Try to hold your mud when that bear decides there is something in the tree that wasn't there before and climbs up beside you to sniff you out.

Last edited:
Free blanket party to the next hunter who shoots a grizzly or sow with cubs. I'm supplying the blankets.

DIY baiting is not easier than Spot and Stalk. None of the videos out there show the PITA that is going to the regional IDFG office to get a bait permit, selecting and building a bait site, finding a supply of good bait, carrying in gobs of bait daily to keep the site fresh, managing scent. Blah Blah. NRs wanting to sit on bait should call an outfitter.

Try to hold your mud when that bear decides there is something in the tree that wasn't there before and climbs up beside you to sniff you out.
Yea, sounds like more effort than its worth, she'll just have to spot/stalk with me if she wants to get one. I don't like to bait deer here in MS, too expensive and time-consuming(and i mostly hunt public where its illegal). The deer are going to be feeding somewhere, just have to find where they are...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back