Caribou Gear Tarp

idaho solo archery hunt

Brad NSW

I'm hooked! Never hunted archery or elk. I think it was a total success???Watching me.jpgMe with moose shed.jpg

Played cat and mouse with this guy, a 5x5 and a spike for six days.

Day 1. 1800ft elevation gain to tent site. Only level spot in 3 miles. See bull moose for 10 mins at 70yds at 7, 500ft. AWESOME!

Day 2 Choke! Still hunting, midday. Thick pines. Spot 5x5 at 50 yds. I draw as he works his way to my only lane at 30yds. He stops, broadside for me in the lane!!! All I see is fur on all 5 pins? Does not compute, no bullseye? As I spot the crease, he bolts! I'm still devastated!!!

Day 4. Close encounter 200yds from a saddle with my game camera, I spot 6x6 at 50yds, draw. Can't see my rear peep. Bull in attached photo, winds me and slowly moves toward my camera. Curious but not bolting. Spot him one more time at 100yds as he meanders over the saddle. Note time stamps on two pics (me playing bullwinkle in 2nd photo with moose shed)

Day 5. 15 yd encounter. 7:20pm, Still hunting, up hill into the wind, thick pines. Stop to scan behind me and empty the bladder. Hear a crash behind me (upwind) and turn to see the ass and balls of a spike hightailing it uphill, no more than 15yds away!

Day 6. Busted approacing a wallow. 50yds away...angry bugle and hear an elk bust away from the wallow. Couldn't entice him/her back. Hike out at sunset and 14 hous back to San Diego.

Bottom line - total success. I learned a lot! Had an incredible 6 days of experiences I wouldn't trade for anything...well maybe a redo of the 30 yd encounter I choked on!

Good luck to all! I'm now focused on archery and rifle deer in San Diego.

Wow, what an adventure you had. So many close encounters and positives, and the only thing lacking was tan on the ground. Learning curve =scaled high.

Congratulations on a great trip! Sounds like you had some great opportunities on some bulls and saw some great country. I'm glad to hear it.

Totally successful trip for a So. Cal hunter whose idea of big game is a 140lb 3x3 mulie!!!!

Wife and I are already planning on doing it again next year for 2-3 weeks instead of one. Only consolation, for her, is we have to stop in Zion for 2 nights. Small price to pay for 7-10 more days hunting in paradise!

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back