Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Senate Bill 1143 - Antler Restrictions

brymoore

Senate Bill 1143 would give the Idaho F&G Commission tools to regulate shed hunting. It has become a circus on the wintering grounds.

Last edited:
But I’m sure we will still have people snowmobiling all over, skiing, lion hunting, coyote hunting and even having elk hunts into February…

Sad.
More laws with no enforcement of the current ones. It's its already illegal to harass wildlife its also illegal to travel cross country on atvs in most areas. I see people doing it all winter long. What I don't see is law enforcement. They simply don't have the manpower to keep people honest.

I won't be able to pick up deer antlers in February while the deer and elk are being chased across the desert by hunters on utv's trying to fill second elk tags.

I don't know about Utah wyoming and Colorado. But in Nevada the shed season hasn't seemed to slow down anyone but me. It pays big $ to break shed antler laws until that changes honest guys will get screwed.

I can't sell game meat, why is it legal to sell antlers? Seems like it would help if the sales end of things were more regulated... but then again I am not a fan of more regulations. Kind of a complex situation that has historically relied on people doing the right thing, but we all know how that goes

How ‘bout the legislative and executive branch pump some funding into the F&G before they dump more shit for them to do in their lap?

I know that’s downright seditious talk in this state, but hey, IDGAF.

How ‘bout the legislative and executive branch pump some funding into the F&G before they dump more shit for them to do in their lap?

I know that’s downright seditious talk in this state, but hey, IDGAF.
I'm assuming we have more legislators than we have f&g leos. One group needs to find things to justify their existence.
The honest truth is a Leo needs to see you pick the antler up from the ground to get a conviction. How many times a year does a leo see someone actually pick up antlers? F&g is relying on sportsman to call in most crimes. I haven't seen an idaho officer in the field in two years. Once the honest people stay home. There will be no reason to follow any laws.

I'm assuming we have more legislators than we have f&g leos. One group needs to find things to justify their existence.
The honest truth is a Leo needs to see you pick the antler up from the ground to get a conviction. How many times a year does a leo see someone actually pick up antlers? F&g is relying on sportsman to call in most crimes. I haven't seen an idaho officer in the field in two years. Once the honest people stay home. There will be no reason to follow any laws.
maybe some custom zip ties labeled with something that need to be attached to antlers, so if an officer doesn't see them pick them up they can still look for the zip tie or verify. almost like a tag? I dunno...lol.

Complicated....

Senate Bill 1143 would give the Idaho F&G Commission tools to regulate shed hunting. It has become a circus on the wintering grounds.

Even though it wont help the big issue with horns having monetary value, they should do what they did here in Wyoming and do a resident 7 day head start. It at least keeps the Utards away for a little lol

...if they can enforce it o_O:mad:

maybe some custom zip ties labeled with something that need to be attached to antlers, so if an officer doesn't see them pick them up they can still look for the zip tie or verify. almost like a tag? I dunno...lol.

Complicated....
They actually try microchips but they can't sit on the bait antlers all spring long. It works on game ranges and small areas but not very well

They actually try microchips but they can't sit on the bait antlers all spring long. It works on game ranges and small areas but not very well
lol high tech....yeah enforcement is always an issue. But if we made it somehow less important to physically see them pick it up, it may help.

Seems like Fish and Game, at least where I am from are the very few agencies in LE that require a BA Degree, I think they should change this to get more applicants. I dont really care that my Warden has a science/nature degree that can name all the flowers in the field....I want more enforcement and more accountability from prosecutors to actually hold people accountable with these bigger cases to make more of a statement.

I still want to see 1/2 the money we’re pumping into extending 16 to I-84 as an increase to IDF&G’s budget. At least then Idahoans will see the benefit, instead of the benefit going to the two largest land owners in that corridor.

Sad.
More laws with no enforcement of the current ones. It's its already illegal to harass wildlife its also illegal to travel cross country on atvs in most areas. I see people doing it all winter long. What I don't see is law enforcement. They simply don't have the manpower to keep people honest.

FS and BLM law enforcement is extremely short handed and from ones I have talked to have a really difficult time prosecuting cases of any type unless they’re big from a monetary side. Additionally they get pulled in lots of different directions; my loca FS leo does the vast majority of his work on other ranger districts or even other countries for details due largely to the pay he is able to get for those details

But I’m sure we will still have people snowmobiling all over, skiing, lion hunting, coyote hunting and even having elk hunts into February…
We used to jump a lot of mule deer chucker hunting probably as many as shed hunting. Finding antlers chucker hunting is what got me into sheds.
A good argument could be made that chucker hunting after November should be stopped because of the impact on deer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back