Idaho results

I hadn't been drawn for a tag for last 15 years, until last year when both my son and I each drew two separate tags. Then this year my son drew his first bull elk tag. I was ready to give up on the system as well, but the last two years have definitely made it worth the wait. On the other hand, I had a friend who started hunting in his early thirties and on his first year of trying he drew the late season Bennett Hill buck tag. He got access to hunt on another one of our friend's uncles ranch, and shot a 23" 3x3 the first morning of the hunt :eek: He had no idea of the value of that tag, or the opportunity he just pissed away. This soon changed when they saw several bucks that would dwarf his just on the way back to the truck that afternoon.

Last edited:
No PP in Idaho. Sure go with it if you only want to shoot one trophy species out of the four. There would be no way to draw a California, Rocky sheep tag, moose tag and goat tag with the pp system. I know guys that have filled all of them. Not possible with P points. Also if you enjoy only hunting elk/deer every 10-20+ years feel free to recommend the pp system. I have been putting in for tags for 12 years and finally drew one that had more applicants than tags this year: unit 18 archery bull.
I do think the draws could be revamped; IDFG should extend the 1 year waiting period to 2 or 3 years for antlered controlled hunts. This would be more beneficial than the PP system while allowing new people to draw the tags.

No PP in Idaho. Sure go with it if you only want to shoot one trophy species out of the four. There would be no way to draw a California, Rocky sheep tag, moose tag and goat tag with the pp system. I know guys that have filled all of them. Not possible with P points. Also if you enjoy only hunting elk/deer every 10-20+ years feel free to recommend the pp system. I have been putting in for tags for 12 years and finally drew one that had more applicants than tags this year: unit 18 archery bull.
I do think the draws could be revamped; IDFG should extend the 1 year waiting period to 2 or 3 years for antlered controlled hunts. This would be more beneficial than the PP system while allowing new people to draw the tags.
Re: the bolded part. As many here are aware, my friend BOY from ID did just that...in 7 years! :eek: Didn't always put in for the 'best' units, but looked at the odds and filled all 4 tags with good critters. I'm just glad I got to tag along on 3 of those hunts.

I agree with the majority, ID needs to keep their system as is and IIRC it has a large amount of support from the residents. Now we'll see if they can keep to that with the increasing age of baby boomers wanting one last chance...

+1, exactly what I sent too the F&G when they asked the "hunters" in Idaho,
Matt

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back