Idaho Pronghorn Pics

the nikster

My wife and I drew archery antelope tags this year so we got all excited today and went scouting. We got a late start, about 9am when we left. We travelled about 15 miles in good Pronghorn country and saw about 30 animals at midday. Pretty good if you ask me. We saw 2 bucks worth taking pics. We tried not to get too close and disturb them. We'll look in on them during the coming weeks and see if we can figure out where they live and water.

Buck #1 (top pic) was spotted at about 300 yards and we never got closer. He moved off but was not too alarmed. Looked to have nice length for Idaho and his prongs were pretty far up the horns. He did not have a lot of turn at the top. I don't know much but he looked good to me!

Buck #2 (Last 3 pics) was a better looking animal to me. Not quite as tall looking but wider and heavier than #1.He also had a beautiful inverted heart shape going on. I spent about a half hour within 300 yards with a spotter wishing I had a rifle permit for September.

I hope you guys can zoom in and tell me what you think. I don't want scores, but, would you spend time on these two or keep moving and looking? remember, we're talking Idaho here.
Anyway, just trying to take the edge off all the political/IDFG banter.

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 282
  • buck2a.jpg
    buck2a.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 292
  • buck2b.jpg
    buck2b.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 287
  • buck2c.jpg
    buck2c.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 289
I could try a little zoom and crop action if you want a closer look, gets pixelated though.

Shoulda done that from the start....

Attachments

• buck1crop2.jpg
    buck1crop2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 282
  • buck2acrop.jpg
    buck2acrop.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 282
  • buck2bcrop.jpg
    buck2bcrop.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 281
  • buck2ccrop.jpg
    buck2ccrop.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 280
Great looking terrain you'll be hunting. I'm as green and rookie as an antelope judge can get, but they look nice to me from what the pics show. Do you have a camera adapter for your spotter or a point-n-shoot camera that you can get pics through the spotter with? Pronghorn are certainly one of the coolest looking animals out there.

Best to you and your wife! Looks like some good opportunity. Unfortunately I am not one to offer a thought on whether they would be a go or not though ---- I would sling arrows. :)

I can't lie. I would love to get the new record. I would love to have my photo in all the magazines. But that's not how I hunt. I try for a good representative of the game. I think both of these get flung at if I see them within 40 yards or so. I'm not opposed to shooting a real dink if the situation warrants either.

Ive never drawn the tag, but im not known for restraint. I'd fling arrows. Btw. Anybody else seen the two hanging out in long valley, right after you come out of the canyon? I've seen them there for about a month.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back