Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho points system.

I'm new at this. To whom do I send my bitches?

The bill has been referred to the Resources and Conservation Committee so I sent mine to everyone on the committee. Google "Idaho Legislature" and you'll be able to find all the links you need.

My understanding from a long ways away is the Reps husband can't draw an Owyhee rifle deer tag (40 or 42). He convinced her to submit the bill so he can eventually draw his deer tag. :eek:

I would just keep emailing and calling. Make sure you have people who will testify!!! BuzzH and I were the ONLY 2 hunters in Wyoming that went to Cheyenne to testify against our Res PP bill. That's really lame! If there are 50 of you there, it sets the stage for the next time some bonehead (insert Siddoway's name here....) Legislator pulls something against IDFG.

As BuzzH said, you need to kill it in committee. Don't let it get out. Pounding them now with well-reasoned emails is key. Put "HO145 - Vote NO" in the subject line of your email. They probably won't read all the emails, but they will look at the subject line.

Use bullets with your concerns. Don't write a full blown essay like I did. They don't understand all the hunting 'jargon'. Make it clear that Idaho sportsmen have killed this 3 other times.

If it makes it out of committee, we tried to "adopt a Legislator". We had a spreadsheet of every Rep in Wyoming and kept diggin until we found someone in their town that was against PP's. We made that person responsible for that Legislator and made sure they received 20+ emails from concerned constituents. It is better to hear from one of their own, but with this bill in committee, you should email everyone on the committee.

Hope this helps.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

For those of us unable to make it to the Capitol when/if this bill gets a hearing is there a way to submit written testimony?

Out of curiosity, for you guys out there that live in states with bonus or preference point systems do you like it?

It's no secret that in Idaho we value opportunity over quality as you can buy OTC tags for, deer, elk, bear, and cougar for almost every unit statewide, as well as go archery antelope hunting in most units with "unlimited draw" tags available. Draw hunts are nice because instead of chasing my bull elk in September with a bow I could do it in October with a rifle, but I still get the chance to hunt the same unit every year regardless of whether I draw or not. That being the case I don't care that I've never drawn a deer, elk, or antelope controlled hunt tag because I still had the opportunity to get out. I guess that's why I'm content with keeping every guy having an equal shot every year.

I've not drawn in Idaho in a very long time while folks I know have been drawn several times. I have bad luck. too bad for me. Every year I get to buy a lottery ticket and think 'this might be my year', I like it this way.

Very valid points!!

Keep it short with a facts and bullet points and no more than 5 or 6 as much as we would like to rail on. I do it and edit these for a living for an employee owned company.

I am old fashioned so just keep calling.

My understanding from a long ways away is the Reps husband can't draw an Owyhee rifle deer tag (40 or 42). He convinced her to submit the bill so he can eventually draw his deer tag. :eek:

I would just keep emailing and calling. Make sure you have people who will testify!!! BuzzH and I were the ONLY 2 hunters in Wyoming that went to Cheyenne to testify against our Res PP bill. That's really lame! If there are 50 of you there, it sets the stage for the next time some bonehead (insert Siddoway's name here....) Legislator pulls something against IDFG.

As BuzzH said, you need to kill it in committee. Don't let it get out. Pounding them now with well-reasoned emails is key. Put "HO145 - Vote NO" in the subject line of your email. They probably won't read all the emails, but they will look at the subject line.

Use bullets with your concerns. Don't write a full blown essay like I did. They don't understand all the hunting 'jargon'. Make it clear that Idaho sportsmen have killed this 3 other times.

If it makes it out of committee, we tried to "adopt a Legislator". We had a spreadsheet of every Rep in Wyoming and kept diggin until we found someone in their town that was against PP's. We made that person responsible for that Legislator and made sure they received 20+ emails from concerned constituents. It is better to hear from one of their own, but with this bill in committee, you should email everyone on the committee.

Hope this helps.

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Out of curiosity, for you guys out there that live in states with bonus or preference point systems do you like it?

No I do not like it because 80% of the states that have point systems have later gone back and thrown early point buyers under the bus by "changing" the rules making it more appealing to newbies and their fresh money.

The worst example of this abortion is in the state of Maine: http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=15&threadid=415833&MESSAGES=28&FF=15

If you'd like to open up a similar can of worms in Idaho, go for it. :)

I've had a run in with one of those Save Western Wildlife wingnuts before. Not sure there has ever been a rational thought expressed amongst all of them.

I guess I have to give them a little credit for coming down on what I consider the right side of the issue. However, reading the comments on the SWW's version of the Facebook post I'm not sure I want any of those clowns writing in to the legislature. I know if I were a Rep and didn't have a lot of background on a bill and a bunch of extremist nut-jobs came out of the woodwork in opposition I'd be more apt to support it just because the radicals think it's a bad idea.

Last edited:
I guess I have to give them a little credit for coming down on what I consider the right side of the issue. However, reading the comments on the SWW's version of the Facebook post I'm not sure I want any of those clowns writing in to the legislature. I know if I were a Rep and didn't have a lot of background on a bill and a bunch of extremist nut-jobs came out of the woodwork in opposition I'd be more apt to support it just because the radicals think it's a bad idea.

My thoughts exactly!!

Twice idf&g has sent me a survey asking about a point system. They must have the survey data somewhere I have tried to find it but cannot. I would love to know the results.

Here's another outlet for your comments. This is probably the most powerful sportsmans' lobby in the state, and it's my understanding that they are opposed to the bill too. If they really do represent the rank and file hunter then let's let them know how we feel.

Idaho Sportsmen's Caucus Advisory Council: http://www.idahoscac.org/contact/

Looks like all the pressure we've been putting on them is doing some good.

"We have heard that House Bill 145 (controlled hunt bonus points) may be held in committee at the request of the sponsors, Representative Perry (Nampa) and Representative Moyle (Star). It is our understanding that there will be discussion with the Fish & Game Commission in an attempt to reach some sort of consensus."

http://www.idahosportsmensconnection.com/updates/index.php

Looks like all the pressure we've been putting on them is doing some good.

"We have heard that House Bill 145 (controlled hunt bonus points) may be held in committee at the request of the sponsors, Representative Perry (Nampa) and Representative Moyle (Star). It is our understanding that there will be discussion with the Fish & Game Commission in an attempt to reach some sort of consensus."

http://www.idahosportsmensconnection.com/updates/index.php

Make sure to send your input to the IDFG commission as well. We want to make sure the legislature doesn't try and force the IDFG to side with them. If enough sportsmen wanted a bonus point system now it could be done by going to the commission, we don't need the legislature forcing it on us.

Contact info here: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/commission/?getPage=183

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back