Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho Pioneer Bull Elk OTC

The_Hunter_Dave

Well since New Mexico didn't pan out, a buddy and I are looking at chasing bull elk in Idaho now. We both live in Northern Utah and are really eyeing the Pioneer unit for OTC Archery. I got tipped off by a buddy for this unit, and based on the research I have done, it looks like the hunting pressure is intense.

We are not sure what unit (36A, 49, 50) to focus on yet, but I would love to hear some experiences chasing bull elk here!

Welcome to HT. There are plenty of elk in those units. I wouldn’t concentrate on one unit rather e-scout all three pick the top 5 areas and start hunting. I have actually found elk Moving over a saddle in one of those units on google earth...they are there.

good elk numbers 49 and 50. got one myself this year. Huge bulls are rare but 300 bulls are common. most of the old two track atv trails are walk in only which can make for long treks. beuatiful country as well

Hunted muleys in there a few years ago. Beautiful country. Elk are very high the first week or two, hunt them early like you would mule deer. Little to no bugling heard the first week. Not a ton of hunters up high the first week but by the second week they starting piling in and elk retreated into the dark timber. Be in shape cause there's very few places you can drive and get any elevation gain.

Ive hunted pioneer several times it is a long hike in takes a good day to just get back in due to elevation gain and tough hiking without many trails but got into elk

I live there and have hunted it. Lots of country to hunt and elk herds are strong. 3rd season of 2500 cow tags in 49, 50, 36A to reduce the herds or at least keep them from continued growth. For non-residents tags go on sale Dec 1st.

In 36A, they added 125 extra cow tags Dec 1-31. I drew one!

Killed a 300" 6pt in unit 36 rifle this season so was going to give the meat to non-hunter friends.

We are in a drought and only got a little fall green up. Hard winter could set back the herds.

good elk numbers 49 and 50. got one myself this year. Huge bulls are rare but 300 bulls are common. most of the old two track atv trails are walk in only which can make for long treks. beuatiful country as well
Most 300 bulls are really 240-260, be careful throwing those kind of numbers around!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back