Idaho mule deer 42

orion23

Good friend of mine drew this tag and since i cant ever draw anything im going to be spending some time helping him out. Ive hunted this unit many times for archery antelope but mostly on the east side by 41. We have see deer, some decent bucks but nothing that i think he should be looking for.

We plan on doing some country scouting/road scouting, but im sure the deer wont be in the same place come november.

my best guess is to hunt over more toward Oregon border?... i forget which is which South Mtn or Juniper Mtn??

Anyone every hunted this area in the recent years? I know there are some slobs that can come out of there but what is realistic? 170? better? any areas we should check out?

Thanks guys.

Travis

I have hunted that unit with some friends and hunted the border near it back in 2009. I have some areas I have seen nice deer in 42. I haven't spent a whole lot of time around the Oregon border, except scouting for antelope. I'll shoot you a pm.

O23,

I have the archery deer hunt in 42 this year. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you know what and where I see bucks during the archery season. Not sure if it'll help, but better to have some info then no info.

Been on a few hunts down that way over the years, some nice bucks go back and forth across Mud flat rd- north of Mud flat is unit 40, south is unit 42. A buddy shot a nice buck in 40, 4 or 5 years ago that we watched cross mud flat out of 42 after some does.

Come Nov the deer could be anywhere. Find the does and you will find the bucks. Usually the first part of the hunt is the best unless you get some good snow. Good luck.

this is a good tag, some great bucks in that country, have plenty of gas and cover ground is your best option, find groups of doe's and check them 2 or 3 time a day, those bucks are traveling constantly... just hope you cross path's with one of them, good luck,
Matt

I’ve been hunting and scouting unit 42 by mcbride creek and somewhere close by juniper mountain or mudflat but I don’t know where to look for a buck but only does it’s been 6 years now. Anyone know where I can try n look? Please I don’t wanna give up. I go for rifle season

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back