Idaho moose hunt 2020

Here is a very amateur video I made of my Idaho moose hunt in 2016. Very similar country to the unit you drew and not far from it. I had never called a moose before and seemed to have decent success other than the wind kept messing us up when they would get in close.

That was a great video. Thanks for posting!

Crazy to think in just over 3 weeks, the hunt begins!
I know. I can’t wait. I literally was belly crawling through the New Mexico grasslands stalking antelope the last few days and all I kept thinking about was chasing moose in Idaho!

I know. I can’t wait. I literally was belly crawling through the New Mexico grasslands stalking antelope the last few days and all I kept thinking about was chasing moose in Idaho!
I’ve been salmon fishing a lot but all I can think about is the moose hunt and the game plan for it. 3 weeks tomorrow!

Well, the wait is almost over... I’m getting the camper ready tomorrow and hitting the road in 5 days!
Keeping my eye on a few fires only 5 miles from the unit, but hopefully the rain this weekend slows them down a bit and nocks down the smoke too. It’s been a few months since I’ve been out there so if anyone has been in the Lochsa/Powell Highway 12 area and has any insight let me know.
Thanks for the pm’s and info everyone.
Keith

I was over there last weekend for more of a scouting trip. We covered a ton of ground and did see a cow moose. It was hot, Smokey and dusty so hopefully conditions improve. I go back next Wednesday. The animals were moving much.

I just got home from a trip to the Roundtop country NE of unit 12. I was at about 6600 feet. It turned cold and very wet last night. Not snowing yet but will soon. Pack your longies

Thanks 44Hunter. I sure will. Been ELK hunting at about 11,000 and we already delt with a pretty decent 8" snow.

Are you working the Marion and Beaver Fires?

No. - I'm a techie.

I had a trip to California blow up due to the smoke from the fires. I decided to throw in a quick backpack trip with the time off.

Well... Here we go. The day is finally here! My son and I hit the road in the morning! Probably gonna stop for the night in Billings or Bozeman and plan on getting camp set up and starting the hunt on Tuesday. Sons gonna hang with me for a solid week which we’re really looking forward to. I’d love to make it happen while he is out there with me, but I don’t have to be back till Oct 9th so we will see what happens. I’ve put about 60 miles on the legs elk hunting so far so I’m gonna give it hell out there. Hopefully the scouting trip and all the planning and phone calls and help from you guys can all come together for us.
I’ll try to post an update or two when I can.
Can’t believe we’re going on a Moose hunt in the morning!!!

Good luck! I spent a couple weeks scouting this fall for a bull in an unknown area and saw 2 before the season. But when the season opened, they were nowhere to be found...

E6D0E0A4-0270-4025-9558-D50BD74F1D83.jpegD5ECD749-8664-4BE4-A4FE-7E721FE224FE.jpeg

So far it’s been tough out here. Seen every animal except moose. The weather changed yesterday to perfect moose weather... 40 degrees, light rain and hanging clouds. Hopefully they move around a little more and spend some time outside of the jungle.

So far it’s been tough here too. The moose don’t seem to be moving much if any at all. Just spent 5 days hunting to not even see a moose. We spent daylight to dark in the woods. It was fun and we learned a lot again and came close one time. I’m going back for 7 days this week.

Family came out and visited for a few days which was cool. I hiked every decommissioned road in the unit and drove every creek possible and so far nothing. Weather is clear so I’m planning on glassing the high basins the next few days. I’ve still got a solid week and going solo From here on out.

Back