Idaho moose hunt 2020

Family came out and visited for a few days which was cool. I hiked every decommissioned road in the unit and drove every creek possible and so far nothing. Weather is clear so I’m planning on glassing the high basins the next few days. I’ve still got a solid week and going solo From here on out.
I feel like a lot of moose hunting has luck involved, that you happen to be in the right place or at the right turn when they show themselves since the country is so big and thick. You just gotta stick with it and be in the woods.

I have shot bulls in ID, MT, and WY right around the first week of October. I think you will see things really change in this next week.

I have shot bulls in ID, MT, and WY right around the first week of October. I think you will see things really change in this next week.
It seems like the first 2 weeks in October is the time to make it happen for moose. I’m headed out tomorrow early till Tuesday/Wednesday

Theyr rutting hard in SW MT ive seen at least one bull every day this week while traveling around. All have been with cows

3rd trip in and still haven’t laid eyes on a bull. Had a close encounter with what I’m pretty sure was a bull moose and not a cow but he wouldn’t come out of the thickest stuff you can imagine. I’be hunted 16 days now and I think the weather is the biggest factor that isn’t helping my cause. I had this vacation time planned in advance and weather is the one thing you don’t have control over.
Do moose move a lot at night or just during a full moon? I’m going to wait till November. I need to catch up on life again and get excited again. It has really tested my mental patience. Long days in the woods with little excitement drains you. It’s still some of the most amazing country to hunt.

3rd trip in and still haven’t laid eyes on a bull. Had a close encounter with what I’m pretty sure was a bull moose and not a cow but he wouldn’t come out of the thickest stuff you can imagine. I’be hunted 16 days now and I think the weather is the biggest factor that isn’t helping my cause. I had this vacation time planned in advance and weather is the one thing you don’t have control over.
Do moose move a lot at night or just during a full moon? I’m going to wait till November. I need to catch up on life again and get excited again. It has really tested my mental patience. Long days in the woods with little excitement drains you. It’s still some of the most amazing country to hunt.
Keep after it buddy the opportunity will come I would think right now stuffs just about to start heating up with the rut. I hunted 32 days not straight but almost when I had a MT Moose tag was totally fried after it but got it done. It'll happen when you least expect it to......good luck

Based on my last few years in the ID Panhandle hunting elk bull moose move quite a bit at night during the rut. We saw less moose on our 2020 elk hunt compared to the last couple years, I think the weather was too warm. But still had a bull come by our camp grunting and busting brush multiple times two nights in a row.

Based on my last few years in the ID Panhandle hunting elk bull moose move quite a bit at night during the rut. We saw less moose on our 2020 elk hunt compared to the last couple years, I think the weather was too warm. But still had a bull come by our camp grunting and busting brush multiple times two nights in a row.
Props to you elk hunters. After spending several weeks and seeing elk around but really scattered. They seem so scared for their life every time you see them. We also found wolf tracks almost every time we see elk tracks. I’m still very hopeful on my moose hunt. I’m taking a week off to just regain some excitement. My timing has been off it seems. I’m waiting for cooler weather which looks like it’s coming.

Well unfortunately I feel like we are on the same page. I hunted hard for 2 and a half weeks straight. Never missed a morning or evening. Glassed for countless hours, drove a lot and hiked many many miles. I still haven’t laid eyes on a moose yet either!

I spent 4 evenings on a ridge with the best view of the most terrain and literally nothing comes out into the open during any daylight. After 4 days I found out why. Watched 3 wolves for about a half Hour just across the valley. The next morning I moved a whole drainage to the east and they did too. Heard them howling and fighting something that wasn’t a wolf the next morning. It was growling back... maybe a bear or lion? Either way I heard a pack bigger then the 3 I saw.

I went all the way to the far west side of the unit and did find more moose tracks then I was seeing on the East, but I just ran out of time and had to head back to CO.

I’m planning on coming back out for 10 more days starting November 2nd. Hopefully things will be better when the weather changes and the leaves fall.

Well unfortunately I feel like we are on the same page. I hunted hard for 2 and a half weeks straight. Never missed a morning or evening. Glassed for countless hours, drove a lot and hiked many many miles. I still haven’t laid eyes on a moose yet either!

I spent 4 evenings on a ridge with the best view of the most terrain and literally nothing comes out into the open during any daylight. After 4 days I found out why. Watched 3 wolves for about a half Hour just across the valley. The next morning I moved a whole drainage to the east and they did too. Heard them howling and fighting something that wasn’t a wolf the next morning. It was growling back... maybe a bear or lion? Either way I heard a pack bigger then the 3 I saw.

I went all the way to the far west side of the unit and did find more moose tracks then I was seeing on the East, but I just ran out of time and had to head back to CO.

I’m planning on coming back out for 10 more days starting November 2nd. Hopefully things will be better when the weather changes and the leaves fall.
I’m thinking the warm weather hasn’t helped us much. Bring in some rain and cold weather and hopefully that improves things for November.

Well luck was finally on my side. Took 19 days but I filled my OIL moose tag for Idaho. It was the hardest hunt of my life. We worked really hard and were rewarded with a 42.5in bull which for my unit is quality bull. We fought broken trailers, broken ATVs, every weather element possible, over heating ATV and using snow to fill the radiator but it all made for a a truly once in a lifetime hunt. Thank you everyone who sent messages and helped. It was an incredible experience and my dream to get a moose.

Attachments

• 6A17DEF9-53B3-4F64-887D-F0520799E462.png
    6A17DEF9-53B3-4F64-887D-F0520799E462.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 129

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back