Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho moose hunt 2020

Now the best part of the moose is eating it. It’s hands down the best wild game I’ve had.

Well luck was finally on my side. Took 19 days but I filled my OIL moose tag for Idaho. It was the hardest hunt of my life. We worked really hard and were rewarded with a 42.5in bull which for my unit is quality bull. We fought broken trailers, broken ATVs, every weather element possible, over heating ATV and using snow to fill the radiator but it all made for a a truly once in a lifetime hunt. Thank you everyone who sent messages and helped. It was an incredible experience and my dream to get a moose.
WAres, the work paid off. Nice Bull. Hope to have the same luck with the OIL moose and the possibility of a trifectia (Moose, Elk, Deer) in the same year.. Buddy and I got 2 of the 6 tags in 10A-2. What side of the unit was the lucky one. East or West?

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Idahoan, Rich. And congrats on drawing your moose tags.

Introduce and tell us a little about yourself. Some folks shy away when a first post is asking for info.

Thank you TradeGun.62.

Been a few hectics weeks getting ready for hunting season as Moose season starts early. Idaho native (going on 51 years now). Hunted and fished 41 of those years (deer, varmints, birds). Life time hunting and fishing buddy and I figured we aren't getting any younger so a year ago we started putting in for Moose tags. Well 2023 is the year. 2 tags in 10A-2. Managed to get Elk tags for 10A as well, just in case in run across a takeable Elk. Never have a problem getting a deer just north of Orofino. Couple weeks back we scouted part of 10A-2 and saw 5 cow Moose and a lot of Elk tracks after a night of rain. Season opens next week; plan on going up this weekend and have 3 other weeks that we are also planning on going up. Hoping to get the OIL Moose and hat track (Moose, Elk, deer) in the same year... Alway have to have a dream right? Just hopping to get a little insight into areas that others may have had luck with or areas that may be better to check out. Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Congratulations again on drawing Rich. And thanks for the intro! Sounds like you guys have lots of experience which is a big plus. I don't think WAres comes by very often. But he worked hard for his bull if I remember.

I have very limited moose hunting experience but I'd keep tabs on those cows.

Keep us posted. Good luck on the moose and the hat trick!

Thank you TradeGun.62.

Been a few hectics weeks getting ready for hunting season as Moose season starts early. Idaho native (going on 51 years now). Hunted and fished 41 of those years (deer, varmints, birds). Life time hunting and fishing buddy and I figured we aren't getting any younger so a year ago we started putting in for Moose tags. Well 2023 is the year. 2 tags in 10A-2. Managed to get Elk tags for 10A as well, just in case in run across a takeable Elk. Never have a problem getting a deer just north of Orofino. Couple weeks back we scouted part of 10A-2 and saw 5 cow Moose and a lot of Elk tracks after a night of rain. Season opens next week; plan on going up this weekend and have 3 other weeks that we are also planning on going up. Hoping to get the OIL Moose and hat track (Moose, Elk, deer) in the same year... Alway have to have a dream right? Just hopping to get a little insight into areas that others may have had luck with or areas that may be better to check out. Appreciate any words of wisdom.
Good luck. Send me a pm ans I can see if I can help

No Moose yet. Been a busy week trying to get everything I forgot on the last trip put together for the next trip, some extra hours at the salt mine and the important honey do list that keeps growing (if the horn spread is as long as that list, I may get a record Bull). Heading up Friday, going to spend the week up North.
WAres, not sure if Potlatch closed off the logging road to motorized vehicles when you hunted up there; now 90% of the logging road are closed. Makes getting off the main roads a bit more challenging. Checked the game cameras we placed, we had 4 no horned moose , sad thing not one of them had any youngsters with them on every camera. Both east and west boarders of the unit had cameras. WAres, which side of the unit did you have more luck?

No Moose yet. Been a busy week trying to get everything I forgot on the last trip put together for the next trip, some extra hours at the salt mine and the important honey do list that keeps growing (if the horn spread is as long as that list, I may get a record Bull). Heading up Friday, going to spend the week up North.
WAres, not sure if Potlatch closed off the logging road to motorized vehicles when you hunted up there; now 90% of the logging road are closed. Makes getting off the main roads a bit more challenging. Checked the game cameras we placed, we had 4 no horned moose , sad thing not one of them had any youngsters with them on every camera. Both east and west boarders of the unit had cameras. WAres, which side of the unit did you have more luck?
I would stay close to those cows or try to find them. Everyone said the rut was around this time and into October. French mountain would be a good starting point

I would stay close to those cows or try to find them. Everyone said the rut was around this time and into October. French mountain would be a good starting point
Thanks WAres. Hope to get into a couple zombie bulls looking for the ladies. Hear the same- find the cows during the rut and Bull will be close by or on the way. Will look into French Mountain, I'd have to look at the map again to see how far we went into French Mountain. 8 days to hunt starting this weekend. Thanks again WAres.

Thanks WAres. Hope to get into a couple zombie bulls looking for the ladies. Hear the same- find the cows during the rut and Bull will be close by or on the way. Will look into French Mountain, I'd have to look at the map again to see how far we went into French Mountain. 8 days to hunt starting this weekend. Thanks again WAres.
When I shot my bull in the end of October. They seem to show more signs of the rut then September/early October. This weather is finally cooling down. So that will help. When it was hot out. We didn’t see any or much sign. First week of October is a good time to be in the woods. Not many people with the seasons closed.

Checked the forecast for (whatever that is worth) for next week. Hi temps in Pierce, pretty much mid 50's during the day 30/40's at night. 30% and up change of rain. Not favorite weather to be in, at least some of the leaves may have fallen, we'll know tracks are fresh, and maybe some snow higher up. WAres when you got yours at the end of October, how much snow was on the ground? Was that pretty high up? May have to get a second ot of chains for the front of the truck. Kinda of hope the rut is starting, but as other have mentioned seems early October is the start. We maybe a week early, regardless it's Moose season and it game on.

Good luck again and post a report when you are back.
Little delay reporting back. Let's just say, 2023 was not a good year if your were a couple of 43 inch Moose in Idaho unit 10A-2. pics and more to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back