Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho moose hunt 2020

WAres

I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for 10A-2 this year. Anyone have strategies on how to or what to look for when hunting moose in the high country? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I had a SE Idaho tag last year. I hunted 9/28 - 10/8. The rut was ok, but that big snowstorm kind of goofed things up for a few days on and off. If I was to do it over again I might go later after the leaves were off the trees. But hard to say since this was my only experience.

I covered a lot of country. Lots of truck miles driving and glassing.I don’t know if your unit is driveable or not, but if not I would get on horseback and cruise crick bottoms. If I didn’t have access to horses I’d cruise ridges above crick bottoms. Calling and glassing. The good news is if a moose is around, there will be plenty of sign. The bad news is those bulls cover a ton of ground during the rut, so if youare limited to one or two drainages it might be really hit and miss from day to day. Calling, for me, was only effective when I was already close to a bull and needed to coax him into range or out of cover. Only did that once. The rest of the time didn’t seem to yield much results, but that could have been a lot of different things.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Get a wolf tag.

Learn to call moose.

Be out there every day until you connect with one.

Have very good optics.

Take a flyrod.

got a wolf tag in my pocket. It sounds like they are a problem for sure. I’m going to hunt my tail off till I find one. I’m planning first week of the season and then 10 days to the end of September/October and then smaller trips if needed.

Any YouTube video’s you’d suggest for learning to call moose the best?

I can't talk about "high country" moose but I've killed two bulls and "guided" my wife and a friend on another two in Saskatchewan and Quebec, so here's my opinion for what it's worth.

If you're going to be hunting during or around the rut, learn to call and get the proper tools. A paddle and birch bark horn (or synthetic) will help. You don't necessarily need to be a great moose whisperer, rutting bulls are dumb but not stupid. They're dumb enough to be fooled with less than good calls but not stupid enough to fall for the wrong calls or crazy sequence. Also, practicing will ensure you can let the right call rip when you want to, especially when the adrenaline is through the roof and all you can do is clear your throat and have suddenly forgotten how to call. My first ever bull moose was shot 15 minutes into the opening morning, blind calling, he came straight to my calls and I literally had to wait for 5 minutes before shooting as he was directly below my tree stand wondering where that cow was.

Find food and water. Like any animal, if it isn't the rut, bull moose need to eat too. If it's the rut, well, the bulls will be where the cows are getting fat. Here's a hot tip, moose love aquatic forage and willows...

Finally, be ready to work your ass off if/when you do shoot one. My second bull was shot no where near a road and I had no ATV available at the time. It took me roughly 6 hours to have everything quartered and loaded in the truck by myself. My entire body ached for a week, I was planning on butchering it myself as I always do but I was so spent that I opted for the butcher shop instead. In comparison, I can quarter a bull moose in around 1-2 hours with a other person depending on how far from the truck we are.

I wouldn’t call the unit you drew high country. Lots of timber which is mainly regen of various age and tons of roads. Lots of roads behind gates that are open to atvs.
Is there better portions of the unit than others? Also is there a way to look up the current logging operations?

I've hunted that area many times for deer. Like mentioned earlier, there are a ton of logging roads in the area. Most are gated, but ATV's are allowed. To cover ground, an ATV is a must. The land is a mix of State, Forest Service and Potlatch. You'll need to purchase an access permit from Potlatch to travel on their property. From my experience (I have harvested an ID moose and helped four others harvest ID moose as well), I would hunt the last 4-5 days of September and the first 7-8 days of October. Coincidence or not, my moose and all my friends moose were shot on Oct. 5. The area is thick timber with lots of clearcuts (of all different ages). I would find clearcuts that offer a good vantage point (typically the log landings in the clearcuts) and glass and call. Covering ground will be key. If it is unseasonably warm, look for sign near small ponds and/or wet areas. These bulls travel a lot looking for cows; thus, the need to cover ground. If you're lucky, you'll get an early snow which will allow you to more easily find fresh tracks.

Get a whitetail tag. I've seen some real hogs in that unit. A Non-resident can use that deer tag on bear, mountain lion, or wolf as well.

Some of the best grouse and snowshoe hare hunting in Idaho. If @Big Fin drew that tag, we might never get him out of there.
I do not remember if the NR license includes the upland game permit with it. Someone on here will know.
If you legally own a suppressed pistol, you can take small game with it in Idaho. Have your paperwork with you.

25 Kokanee and 25 Brookie limit on Dworshak and the North Fork of the Clearwater.

As @elkrchr said, if you plan to camp on, or use ATV's behind gates on PotlatchDeltic corporate timber land, you will need to go to their website and get a permit. It's really easy.
Your hunting license gives you walk-in access to all PotlatchDeltic land in Idaho.

Drive and glass.

Good Luck!

I took this photo while deer hunting in November of 2012. I believe it is in your unit, but right on the boundary with 10A-1. If I remember right, the moose season runs until almost Thanksgiving. If you weren't successful earlier in the season, you could always go back in November when there is almost always snow. Sure makes finding tracks and seeing the moose easier.

Attachments

• DSC02402.jpeg
    DSC02402.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 132
I've hunted that area many times for deer. Like mentioned earlier, there are a ton of logging roads in the area. Most are gated, but ATV's are allowed. To cover ground, an ATV is a must. The land is a mix of State, Forest Service and Potlatch. You'll need to purchase an access permit from Potlatch to travel on their property. From my experience (I have harvested an ID moose and helped four others harvest ID moose as well), I would hunt the last 4-5 days of September and the first 7-8 days of October. Coincidence or not, my moose and all my friends moose were shot on Oct. 5. The area is thick timber with lots of clearcuts (of all different ages). I would find clearcuts that offer a good vantage point (typically the log landings in the clearcuts) and glass and call. Covering ground will be key. If it is unseasonably warm, look for sign near small ponds and/or wet areas. These bulls travel a lot looking for cows; thus, the need to cover ground. If you're lucky, you'll get an early snow which will allow you to more easily find fresh tracks.

yup we have ATV that we will be bringing. I’m planning my big trip from September 26-October 5th. Ill go over before that too.

I actually lucked out and drew a tag not too far from you up in 12-1 in the Lolo zone. It is a bit higher but the vegetation seems pretty similar. It looks pretty thick except for the old logging areas. My tentative plan for now is to mainly focus on calling since I’m gonna try to make it happen with the bow. I’m heading out later this month for my first scouting trip to get a better lay of the land and also planning on doing a family vacation out there again in early August.

I know it’s not the same unit, but I’ll let you know what I see. I will be hunting around the same time as you. I’ve got off September 21-October 6 and I’ll go back if I need too.

Don’t mean to hijack your thread here, but if anyone has experience in 12-1, maybe hunting bears or something, I’ll take any tidbits of info you got.

Good luck WAres, I’ll be in touch, and maybe we can work together a little bit.
Keith

I will say the same thing a few others here have said. I elk hunted that unit once during rifle. Lots of road traffic in there with folks chasing elk, think it opens early October. The regen is thick as heck and the animals disappear in it quickly. I didn't see any moose while there for a week. Lots of wolves around I darn nearly shot a nice black one and he got away. I would think the key would be cover lots of ground and glass from points and hit closed gates to get away from some pressure.

I will say the same thing a few others here have said. I elk hunted that unit once during rifle. Lots of road traffic in there with folks chasing elk, think it opens early October. The regen is thick as heck and the animals disappear in it quickly. I didn't see any moose while there for a week. Lots of wolves around I darn nearly shot a nice black one and he got away. I would think the key would be cover lots of ground and glass from points and hit closed gates to get away from some pressure.
Yeah I want to avoid the rifle seasons if possible. The first week of October should be pretty quiet for the most part since everything is closed.

Yeah I want to avoid the rifle seasons if possible. The first week of October should be pretty quiet for the most part since everything is closed.

You can use all those elk hunters to your advantage. They usually free with intel when you tell them you have a moose tag.

You can use all those elk hunters to your advantage. They usually free with intel when you tell them you have a moose tag.
That’s a great point. I’ll be there in September and plan to ask hunters as well!

Congrats! Don't have anything to add to what's already been said, but be persistent. I've seen some nice ones in there over the years.

Awesome country. Worked forest surveys there in '91. Western Red Cedar and wild ginger as a forb make a great smelling forest, my favorite habitat type. Lolo trail used by the Nez Perce for 1000's of years, I had a vision at Indian Post Office once. Rough country with access on the top and bottom, there are widely scattered mature bulls there with lots of country to hide, only a 25% success in the last 10 years. Every hunting camp you see you should stop and ask if they have seen moose or squirrel...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back