Idaho Lolo zone

JWhunter

Hi all hope your offseason is treating you the best it can be. I was just curious if anyone had ever been in the Rocky Ridge Lake CG area in unit 10, I'm just curious as to the terrain, herd health, etc. I am mainly looking to find out terrain is like and if they ever close the road into it. I also was curious to as if there are many mule deer in the area? I appreciate any insight anybody is willing to share. I plan on calling a biologist towards the end of April.

I haven't hunted Lolo. From everything I've heard, it's in the same situation as the wilderness areas I hunt further South--hit hard by the predator problem that was out of control a few years ago and there's some been recovery but still a low population density. Many reports have people going five days without hardly seeing a track, let alone an elk. There obviously are some in there.

i guided there for over 20 years good luck finding any elk the wolfs have ate everthing

It’s steep with thick cover. Very few mule deer in that area. Look in whatever alpine you can find for them. I would focus on some of the recent burn areas, of which there are several.

Unfortunately, the Lolo has suffered greatly from winterkill, habitat degradation, and predation.

I know the herds aren't what they have been in the past but, based on that no where would be any good anymore. haha But I will say I'm not afraid to give her the good ol' college try. I would be looking at hunting 10a except for there are roads everywhere.

I know the herds aren't what they have been in the past but, based on that no where would be any good anymore. haha But I will say I'm not afraid to give her the good ol' college try. I would be looking at hunting 10a except for there are roads everywhere.
Unit 10 is generally more remote and steep with both mule deer and whitetails. Except for designated wilderness areas you won't escape roads and of course other hunters wherever you choose to hunt in Idaho. I can't really comment on "herd health etc." except to say that elk hunting isn't nearly as great as it was in the past, but they're there. You'll just have to compete for the 'limited resources'. You can expect to see other hunters in both Unit 10 and 10a.

It's beautiful country, and you definitely won't regret spending time in there if you do.

It's tough country to hunt due to terrain and thickness, and its definitely not loaded with animals. There are elk around though, and enough whitetail to keep you occupied while the elk hunting is slow. Mule deer would be very hard to target. Pretty good chances of killing a bear if you're into that. If you put on the miles and are patient enough you'll put something in the freezer. It's also probably one of the best areas in northern Rockies to escape other hunters and really feel alone somewhere.

The road you're talking about is a main road, and will be open until it gets snowed in.

If you get a chance when you're scouting in the summer, try to get a bit further in and north along the state line. That's one of the most underappreciated wild areas in the lower 48.

Also, read 'Lochsa story' by Bud Moore. It'll give you a lot to think about when you're busting through huckleberry bushes up there.

I've spent a few weeks in there whitetail hunting. I have seen a mule deer buck in there so I know they exist.

Lolo is a tough hunt! Good thing about limited elk and deer is there aint many hunters either. You can go days even weeks between bull and buck sightings. I found several elk but wasnt impressed with anything at all just not great habitat. Roads only "close" cause there to deep in snow. Place i hunt has a 20 mile ride via sxs into it and have never seen another person there or on way there. Last year as many wolves were killed as elk at one point when i was there and there was a lion attack on an archer, so ya predator problems but no real griz problems because theres nothing left for them to eat i guess. Big country and fun hunt but very isolated in places, not for a new to west guy or someone looking to have easy hunt. Good luck even finding a medium sized muley, focus on whitetails. Hope this helps and good luck your gonna need it...

Oh I'm not new at all to the west, I grew up in Idaho. I am just in school and I don't want to drive 10 hours one way. I'm not afraid to work I have always hunted central ID. Thanks again everyone for the insight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back