Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho,here we go again

HUNT2MUCH

I wished they would make up their minds. Lets see how many more changes they make this year to the Muzzleloader regs before the hunt starts.

commission changes muzzleloader rule

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission Thursday, January 16, dropped the requirement for an external pivoting hammer from the rules on muzzleloader-only seasons.

In January 2007, the Idaho Fish and Game Commission adopted new equipment rules for muzzleloader-only hunts.

Nearly 4,000 hunters commented during 2006 on the original proposals with roughly equal numbers supporting and opposing the proposed rule changes. While many traditional muzzleloader hunters support the new rules, many others, including modern muzzleloader hunters, did not.

The most controversial rule change was been the requirement for a pivoting hammer, functionally prohibiting the use of many in-line muzzleloaders in muzzleloader-only hunts. Additionally, the pivoting hammer requirement has been confusing to many hunters, generating numerous requests to Fish and Game to clarify whether individual muzzleloaders are legal to use.

In-line muzzleloaders have no ballistic, or overall range, advantage over "side-lock" muzzleloaders.

Thursday's action allows most in-line muzzleloaders back into muzzleloader-only hunts.

Other rules for muzzleloaders, including the requirements for loose power, exposed percussion cap ignition, all-lead (no sabots or bullets with plastic gas seals attached) bullets, remain in effect.

Attachments

• ml buck.jpg
    ml buck.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 203
  • ML-2.jpg
    ML-2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 195
I'm confused about the "exposed percussion cap ignition". I think I will whine to the commissioners to change the law.

Nice buck in the top picture-was that 07?

The top buck was taken in "05". it was actually a controlled hunt(the premier hunt in Idaho) and I made the mistake of finding the "hawg" on the first day and spent 10 days chasin him only to see him twice,both times just out of ML range.I passed up some real decent bucks in the process. This one was a last day buck. Great hunt!!

If they have an exposed cap then yes they will. Problem is lots of the new inlines have a sealed ignition system where the cap is not exposed as well as using 209 shotgun primers and not percussion caps.

I think the solution then, is to purchase firearms which are legal at this time.
The state has shown an ability to accept that it has made a mistake and change.
I believe that if a person purchases a firearm which is not legal(at the time of purchase)for hunting, then they deserve the heartache involved. I do accept that the state changes laws and this is sometime inconvenient for some. But the states' job is to oversee/regulate game, not individual happiness.

I think when they said they were going to change it I said they weren't going to have it that way for long... ??? I like the reasons that they said they are switching back. One reason was because it was hard to understand and their office was bombarded with questions. YAh, unlike now, it's ALLLLll straight forward ;)

That being said, I'm glad they switched back. Sometimes it goes from one extream to the other before it settles in the middle. I think it's about there now.

Colorado banned in-lines for exactly one year. Think people were pissed when they banned them? Should have seen them a year later (after they had sold their in-lines).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back