Caribou Gear

Idaho Elk Dworshak Zone

brownbear932008

Hey guys I have just picked up a leftover tag in this zone plan on hunting in the 10A area and I have never been up in that area of Idaho. Just wondering what to expect for say terrian and how the hunting may be in the area as far as animal size to expect and so forth. I know the area sees some pressure and has good access from what I've been told so I am thinking trophy size will not be there but I am not gonna be too picky but would like to at least have a crack at a nice 5 point at least. May have more questions before this is over, this was a last minute decision on a good deal I ran across and thought I would give it a go and try something different. I usually hunt in Montana but probaly not gonna make it there this year gonna give Idaho a shot. Had a friend who just archery hunted this area earlier in the month and did okay no bull but was into elk most days just couldn't make it happen. Any help would be helpful feel free to PM.

Thanks guys!

Thick, brushy and heavily timbered unless watching a clear cut. Mountainous terrain. Lots of roads. Lots of gated roads so many people are using ATV's to get around them which is ok in that area. It is primarily a meat hunt, but some small 6 points are killed every year. Expect to have company if hunting the first half of the season. Get a wolf tag also. Good luck!

Thanks quarterhorse I think the plan is clear cut hunting. That is kinda what I thought on terrain I do know we will be using ATV to access gated areas to hunt. Looks like if ID F&G population estimates are correct is is one of the higher elk populations in the state. I am not looking for a monster just a good average elk and I would be great. I do plan on getting a wolf tag or I may just use an elk tag on wolf if the chance pops up. I did see they take several wolves in that zone. Again thanks for the response.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back