MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Bear

MtnWest

First post so we'll see if it turns out ok. Being my first bear hunt I learned a lot. The main lesson was to wait a little later in the season as we took our first trip at the beginning of April. The second lesson was to buy my 12yr old son Jake a youth turkey tag because we were covered up with them the week before the general season. He is just itching to use his bow he got for Christmas and that would have been a great opportunity.

I enjoy every minute outdoors with my dad and Jake and this hunt was no different. Having been hunting with me since he could walk, Jake is used to some slow times but there were plenty of elk and deer to glass to keep his attention. He also carried his .22 mag in hopes of a coyote.

I decided to go one last time the Sunday afternoon before the season ended. Jake had a test Monday morning otherwise dad was going to allow him to miss a class or two since dark is 10pm this time of year plus a two hour drive. So unfortunately he wasn't there.

Being the area I elk hunt, I was going to put a camera on a spring I knew of before getting to a glassing spot. When we got on top the ridge and into the timber we were stepping around bear scat in the game trail. Taking a few steps and scanning through the trees I spotted this bear facing us at 80 yards. After what seemed like forever waiting for a clear broadside shot, I squeezed the trigger. The bear did a 180 and ran to my right just out of view. We went looking for a blood trail and he was piled up 20 yards away with a hole behind both shoulders. The ironic thing is he was wet from being in the water I was hiking to and died within a stones throw of it.

Though I've strickly archery hunted the past 10 years I used a rifle built by my dad and given to me as a high school graduation gift. I was also using ammo we loaded 17 years ago together so I'm glad he was there with me. Along those same lines, I'm glad to see so many taking their kids along, way to go guys!

Attachments

• Jake3.jpg
    Jake3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Jake.jpg
    Jake.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1559_Small.jpg
    IMG_1559_Small.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_1542_Small.jpg
    IMG_1542_Small.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1482_Small.jpg
    IMG_1482_Small.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_1570_Small.jpg
    IMG_1570_Small.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 574
Grats on the bear while hunting with family. Man there are some tanker bears being taken this year.

Last edited:
Congrats on whopper bear. He looks like a great boar. And to take the family on the bear hunts makes it even more memorable.

Thanks everyone! That bear was unlucky, he was in the way of me scouting for elk. The third bear I saw in five days of hunting.

I'm liking this site, found it from the show. Any show about public land and that punching a tag isn't what it's all about get's my vote. Good job Randy.

Oh man, very awesome bear. looks idential color and white patch to mine only way bigger!!
Nice work, and mostly great work for getting the family out!

Thats sounds like a great family hunting trip that ended with an incredible bear. You don't see too many that big with such a big blaze on their chest.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back