Idaho Antelope Ideas...

JustEppic

I am applying and leaning towards 2 units -
Unit 38-1 and Unit 68, I will put my application in later today if I make a solid decision.
I chose those units because they appear to produce, and they "read" good. It will take me a few years of getting my boots on the ground in Idaho to get a good understanding of where "good"hunting is, and where "fun" hunting is... as we all know there is a difference. As a 42 year old disabled veteran, sometimes I feel like I will run out of time before I get the knowledge LOL.
If I were to get into one of those uints, do they have OTC elk hunting available? I have my tags already so I can swap them, but I struggle sometimes figuring out who is just application only, and who is "open". Having tags doesn't mean there will be good hunting, what can I expect? Will I see animals if I put my work in, or should I just hunt my antelope there, and keep my tag in Palouse (or move it somewhere more "relatable".)
Most of these questions I have to answer for myself obviously, but I am opening the discussion for a few reasons, I am looking for a few new friends to make, who might want to hunt together a little, and because someone will already have information saving me time and effort that i can expend elsewhere if needed.
I appreciate it everyone, excited to get back!
Eppic

My experience has been the units I have hunted Idaho antelope in have been very similar in terms of buck size and number of animals. When I was applying for antelope tags I usually chose a unit based on how far I was willing to drive, amount of public land, and if it was just country I liked being in. I can’t help with those particular spots

I don't know much about the southern ID units without searching it. Either way, the elk and antelope are going to be in different parts of the unit due to habitat needs. I think the main benefit would be the opportunity to do some scouting for the other species with a couple extra days added to the hunts. But the Palouse seems as good as any general unit to me. Especially since you are close enough to scout there as well on a weekend.
Not sure if you have seen this on IDFG website, but you can use this grid search to narrow down units with seasons for the same species. Can search general elk, controlled antelope and pick the units and/or elk zone. And much more:

Yeah, and that means I need to get my feet on the ground a few times in those areas and discover which ones I like... (nods). I assumed the numbers were mostly the same, I dont mind a drive, if I come into Idaho from Central Washington, I am going to just hunt wherever I want to hunt, but I need to find that place that feels like HOME to me... which is personal, so I just need to find an area that holds a little of each animal i want to hunt, and then do my WORK lol

I don't know much about the southern ID units without searching it. Either way, the elk and antelope are going to be in different parts of the unit due to habitat needs. I think the main benefit would be the opportunity to do some scouting for the other species with a couple extra days added to the hunts. But the Palouse seems as good as any general unit to me. Especially since you are close enough to scout there as well on a weekend.
Not sure if you have seen this on IDFG website, but you can use this grid search to narrow down units with seasons for the same species. Can search general elk, controlled antelope and pick the units and/or elk zone. And much more:
Yeah thanks! I like the palouse, i have a few places I REALLY liked, much of it is spread out and for me, sadly i need to have access to cellphone because of my disability, and my cellphone wouldn't connect in a lot of the areas I tried hunting. (elk river, Dwarmish or whatever it is....) So I need to stay closer to Princeton/Deary areas... which is fine, I saw plenty of good hunting in there.

Maybe you just made a great point though... I just go hunt antelope if I ever get drawn, and I dont mess up my other hunts by over thinking everything LOL

Most units in the snake river valley have decent numbers of antelope. The units on the north side will have some elk as well. 45, 52, and 52A are good units if you are trying to do a combo hunt. Unit 36 has a lot of antelope and elk but it would be an archery only hunt.

Go archery - you can hunt it every year and dozens of units to choose from. Deer too. Rifle draws are all 5 - 10% odds for each so you will never get a combo hunt. Cow elk tags can be had easier. I'm doing a combo antelope/deer this season in Sept.

archery would be tough for a disabled veteran, but I am down for tough, and I am working on getting my bow fixed so... lets do it...Anyone want to hunt together if I get drawn? I might change my elk tag so I can learn the units anyway... Unit 36? What are the other archery only units I should look at?

Yeah thanks! I like the palouse, i have a few places I REALLY liked, much of it is spread out and for me, sadly i need to have access to cellphone because of my disability, and my cellphone wouldn't connect in a lot of the areas I tried hunting. (elk river, Dwarmish or whatever it is....) So I need to stay closer to Princeton/Deary areas... which is fine, I saw plenty of good hunting in there.

Maybe you just made a great point though... I just go hunt antelope if I ever get drawn, and I dont mess up my other hunts by over thinking everything LOL

Have you looked into the InReach communicator? Can send texts out from anywhere you would be hunting as long as you are not in a narrow canyon or covered up with tree canopy. Is not a way to connect with others in seconds as could with a cell phone but contact should happen in 30 minutes or less.

archery would be tough for a disabled veteran, but I am down for tough, and I am working on getting my bow fixed so... lets do it...Anyone want to hunt together if I get drawn? I might change my elk tag so I can learn the units anyway... Unit 36? What are the other archery only units I should look at?

Not if you scout water holes in the archery units, as mentioned above. That will be much less physical than
any elk hunt.

Elk is basically a non-option in unit 38. No experience in 68.

Trying to rifle hunt lopes here is near impossible due to the draw odds. 3 of us have never drawn a rifle lope tag here, that's probably about
45 applications. 0/45, and that's with resident draw odds.

Most archery antelope tags are an unlimited draw so it is 100% - however they are not OTC as you must put in for the draw which is tomorrow June 5th. Non res OTC deer and elk tags are available until the quota is sold out, which was early Sept last year. The regs aren't that easy to figure out that hunt 4029 is many units.

Not if you scout water holes in the archery units, as mentioned above. That will be much less physical than
any elk hunt.

Elk is basically a non-option in unit 38. No experience in 68.

Trying to rifle hunt lopes here is near impossible due to the draw odds. 3 of us have never drawn a rifle lope tag here, that's probably about
45 applications. 0/45, and that's with resident draw odds.

Unit 68 is sage desert get a upland bird tag or an otc white tail or general deer tag. I believe their elk hunt is a late season short weapons elk hunt but you would need to check the regs. I would put in for your second option is the unlimited archery antelope from Aug 15- Sept 15 which covers about 12 units in the sage desert. Bring a fishing pole and good luck

That unlimited archery tag is crap(never do that again) and you have to buy a archery permit to hunt your archery only tag. Better to apply for a rifle or or atleast a LE archery tag so you have some space without hundreds of people.

That unlimited archery tag is crap(never do that again) and you have to buy a archery permit to hunt your archery only tag. Better to apply for a rifle or or atleast a LE archery tag so you have some space without hundreds of people.
The Archery permit doesn't bother me, im getting it for Elk anyway, what is an LE archery tag? I must be tired.

@twsnow18 - hey, that is a great idea to do waterholes like that, thanks...

Yeah its just hard because the hunts are the same time...(elk rut, and hunting antelope)... and i want to hunt elk during the rut. I will figure it out in the morning.

I have hunted this hunt since the early 80's and that is not my experience. Report for hunt 4029 says 1466 hunters hunting in 24 units. Never seen more than a few other hunters.

I think because he travels so far, its harder for us to scout... I can understand what he is saying, i can also understand what you are saying... I also sit next to a salt shaker and take EVERYTHING with a shake of that salt... LOL

Ok Thank you EVERYONE for you advice and input. I ended up throwing a dart and picked two regions. I have gathered all your information for a decision for next year though. The two regions I picked were based off likelyhood of getting something if i get drawn, more than the likelyhood of getting drawn and those regions were 50 and 51A for a rifle hunt...
This gives me time to get my archery up to par for something for next year, I will get myself into better shape too.
I appreciate it, I would love to meet up with anyone, feel free to reach out. Thanks again!
Joey

Most units in the snake river valley have decent numbers of antelope. The units on the north side will have some elk as well. 45, 52, and 52A are good units if you are trying to do a combo hunt. Unit 36 has a lot of antelope and elk but it would be an archery only hunt.
gunslinger,
you seem familiar with the southern Idaho area. I just got a Snake River A tag. I am wondering if it was a mistake or worth hunting. Any pointers? Units 53, 68A, 63A.

Thanks

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back