Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho 6-Point

Turbo

During deer season I glassed a herd of elk on a knoll just up from the river. I watched them for a few hours but never got close enough to see if there were any bulls with them. So I left them alone until opening morning. I came in early and figured everyone else parked at the gate would be going to the top instead of were I was heading. I got to the spot where I glassed them around the time it was getting light. I spotted the same herd in the same spot, but this time I wanted to get closer to look for bulls. I got within 200 yards and set up against a large tree. Just as I was setting up I spotted 2 spikes still lying down, as I watched them something caught my eye to the side. It was a 6 point coming out of some brush. The herd was getting restless, probably caught a whiff of me or another hunter, and they were getting ready to drop off the side of the mountain. I waited until the 6 point was right on the skyline and took a shot. After my shot he went out of view, and I heard a few shots from below me. I ran over to find another hunter standing over him. We had a friendly discussion on who should tag him. He was actually a very nice guy. He decided to walk away. (I know it was a hard thing to do.) I felt a little karma, since a few years ago the same thing happened to me in a different area, and that time I walked away. I called my dad on the radio and had him come up to help me. As I was waiting I thought I would go help carry some stuff for him. As I was walking out, I saw something in front of me about 100 yards away. I glassed it. A wolf. White and Grey. First wolf I've seen in the wild. Heard them before, just never seen one. I finally caught up to my dad, and got back to the elk we skinned it out, quartered it, and hung it. With the help of 2 other hunters that were in the area and stopped to offer some assistance. We throw a coat on some of the meat and got to the truck around 10:00 pm. Came back in the next day and packed him, with the help of 3 friends, to an area we could use a cart, then pushed him about 2 miles out. Had to make 2 trips, it was around 9 pm that night before he was out, and I sure felt better after hearing those wolves howling not far from were he was hanging as we were leaving in the dark.

Attachments

• 6PointELK 001.jpg
    6PointELK 001.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 661
  • 6PointELK 005.jpg
    6PointELK 005.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 659
  • 6PointELK 007.jpg
    6PointELK 007.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 6PointELK 009.jpg
    6PointELK 009.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 649
Nice to hear you worked things out with the other hunter.Great job.

Congrats Turbo.

Great bull. I see a cart behind you. Looks like the work was just beginning.

We tried to move it on the cart at first, but the wheel bent|oo, so we had to pack it a ways before we could actually use the cart. After using a rock and screwdriver to striaghten out the wheel.

Good Job T' !!! I'm guessing the concert you came to watch in Boise gave you the final inspiration to get the job done ;) Swing by again next time yer in town !!!

Congrats on your elk !!

Nice Bull...love it when a plan comes together!
Glad the other Dude was a real hunter and not an azzhole "hunter"....while I have bumped into more real hunters, esp in ruff country, than I have azzholes, I have had a few encounters of the third kind...not pleasant!

Speaking of Reba, check out this picture. And thanks again to Mrs. Moosie for watching the kid.

Attachments

• Reba.jpg
    Reba.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 460
Is that a wad of dollar bills in your right pocket or are you just glad to see Reba?

Nice Bull, by the way.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back