Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

ID unit 18 elk

HUNTNNW

We drew elk tags for the first time in 18, but not a stranger to the unit as we have drawn 3 mule deer tags over the years and camp in the summer down there. I am looking for some input on realistic expectations of bulls in the unit. I have got a wide range of opinions from some forums to good friends on forums messaging me that 300" bulls down there are "dime a dozen" to "u have to work to kill a 300" bull and be crazy to pass in the unit". I saw a true 335-345 bull at 80 yards down there during the rifle season, I know they exist. I just dont want to have that vision of that bull in my head thinking that or bust:p thanks for any input

Sounds like you have spent plenty of time down there, you should have as much experience as anybody in regards to realistic hunt expectations.
How many 300 in bulls have you seen on your previous hunts, that will give you an idea of what class of animal you need to pull the trigger on when you find it.

Have you written a hunt report on how your mule deer hunts went so other forum members can learn about the unit and the animal numbers and class of bucks living there?

the guys elk hunting dont see many mule deer and the guys mule deer hunting dont see may elk...last year we hunted 1 burn and never saw a elk, but there were elk a half mile below as the guys camped by us saw 9 bulls down there. All rags

No I have not, is there a section on here for that?

Last edited:
I did not know that the elk & deer controlled hunt info was out. Is it online?

Back