Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I’d rather be good than lucky…

4ohSick

But I’m not. So I’ll take the luck.

Deer camp 2022, central Montana, my buddy and I filled our cow tags last weekend so life is good and we can focus on finding good bucks. We arrive Friday afternoon, unhook the camper, and have about 2 hours to hunt before dark. We immediately spot a group of deer and pull out the spotter - it’s a small buck with a few does; nothing worth chasing but promising to see deer!

We skirt around that group, checking down each coulee while occasionally looking back into the field. Fifteen minutes before last light, we crest a knoll and spot a big group. Even with the naked eye, you can see there’s a good buck, but we can’t get a good range in the fading light before the group starts to get nervous and heads out.

That night, sleep is tough to come by as that buck grows in our minds. We have a plan for the morning that is foolproof. We show up earlier than planned, a product of the fitful sleep and anticipation. After choking down as much coffee as we can handle, we hike out to the tractor we’re going to sit at waiting for first light. Right as dawn begins to break and we start to see silhouettes of deer, wind starts to gust and a sideways rain starts to pound us. The deer flee to the shelter of coulees and we hunker down under the tractor to wait it out. A miserable half hour later, we’re back to a dry, cold wind that will somehow get progressively worse throughout the day. Anyone hunting that day throughout the state knows what I’m talking about.

The top field is obviously a miserable place for man or beast, so we take to the coulees trying to glass bedded bucks. We spot a few does, but glassing is tough as you have to be fully exposed to that awful wind to glass the leeward slopes. We spend a while sheltered on a bench but don’t turn up any deer because we’re glassing the windiest slopes. Finally, we decide to check around the nose of the slope we’re on. Looking into the wind, I see two dark spots in the coulee and pull up my binos. Not deer. Start looking elsewhere, but wait, I swear that was antler. I look back, and I was right. But not that kind of antler. Two bulls, bedded at 250 yards. In a general unit NOT known for elk. So we shot them.

My first bull elk:
675ACE2E-8102-491E-A164-0EE046D357A8.jpeg
A4C9351D-4098-4817-BF6F-B5AC6FBFD1F7.jpeg
7737D7AF-4DDE-42E8-9E00-33AA1D400A44.jpeg

Packed meat all day, and the next morning I shot a decent 3x4 buck, and that night my buddy got his best buck, a super heavy 4x4.

Someday, maybe, somehow I’ll learn how to find bulls during rifle season intentionally. Until then, I’ll take this.

I'll always take lucky over good. But mainly because I've never been offered good. GH does make it look nice though...

Congrats on the bull!

Dude, way to go. Interesting how people who put in the effort tend to get lucky. Everytime I'm thinking of going out and the weather just sucks I tell myself "I probably wont see a thing today If I go out, But I definately won't see a thing if I don't go out."

😂😂😂
I looked the same after quartering the cows. Apparently I lose any awareness of surroundings in my excited state, and kneel/sit in the blood on the downhill side.
Sorry it just made me laugh looking at your first and second pictures one after the other.

I remember when my wife started going hunting with me. After a few trips she asked why I didn't take pictures before working on the animal. I looked back and she was right I guess I was raised fill out tag first, then gut, and then pictures. Since she pointed this out my pictures have gotten a million times better now it is tag, pictures, and quarter. It almost takes me longer to move the animal into a good position for pictures then it does for me to quarter them.

Great job and beautiful bulls. The elk are definitely increasing their range. I’ve found them within a mile or so of ND

But I’m not. So I’ll take the luck.

Deer camp 2022, central Montana, my buddy and I filled our cow tags last weekend so life is good and we can focus on finding good bucks. We arrive Friday afternoon, unhook the camper, and have about 2 hours to hunt before dark. We immediately spot a group of deer and pull out the spotter - it’s a small buck with a few does; nothing worth chasing but promising to see deer!

We skirt around that group, checking down each coulee while occasionally looking back into the field. Fifteen minutes before last light, we crest a knoll and spot a big group. Even with the naked eye, you can see there’s a good buck, but we can’t get a good range in the fading light before the group starts to get nervous and heads out.

That night, sleep is tough to come by as that buck grows in our minds. We have a plan for the morning that is foolproof. We show up earlier than planned, a product of the fitful sleep and anticipation. After choking down as much coffee as we can handle, we hike out to the tractor we’re going to sit at waiting for first light. Right as dawn begins to break and we start to see silhouettes of deer, wind starts to gust and a sideways rain starts to pound us. The deer flee to the shelter of coulees and we hunker down under the tractor to wait it out. A miserable half hour later, we’re back to a dry, cold wind that will somehow get progressively worse throughout the day. Anyone hunting that day throughout the state knows what I’m talking about.

The top field is obviously a miserable place for man or beast, so we take to the coulees trying to glass bedded bucks. We spot a few does, but glassing is tough as you have to be fully exposed to that awful wind to glass the leeward slopes. We spend a while sheltered on a bench but don’t turn up any deer because we’re glassing the windiest slopes. Finally, we decide to check around the nose of the slope we’re on. Looking into the wind, I see two dark spots in the coulee and pull up my binos. Not deer. Start looking elsewhere, but wait, I swear that was antler. I look back, and I was right. But not that kind of antler. Two bulls, bedded at 250 yards. In a general unit NOT known for elk. So we shot them.

My first bull elk:
View attachment 249394
View attachment 249395
View attachment 249396

Packed meat all day, and the next morning I shot a decent 3x4 buck, and that night my buddy got his best buck, a super heavy 4x4.

Someday, maybe, somehow I’ll learn how to find bulls during rifle season intentionally. Until then, I’ll take this.
Love this dude!! I’ve been working hard, and @Greenhorn even said, the spots where nobody’s looking for elk! Cuz their “never really is”

I was in that wind. Saw a ton of bulls down on the private less than a mile away too. So cool man congrats! ✌🏽

Attachments

• 132E98D9-7C22-4FF5-ACD1-B6763CDDEA98.jpeg
    132E98D9-7C22-4FF5-ACD1-B6763CDDEA98.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 17
That's awesome!!! You should prolly buy a lotto ticket, it might fund your next hunt!! Congrats super happy for you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back