Montana 2025 Deer combo Alternate list

Lowest numbers in years registered for alternate list
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: DFS
I'm new to Hunt Talk and have very limited knowledge about the Montana nonresident alternate deer combination draw. It looks like I am 231 0f 1386. Do I have a decent chance of getting a tag? If so any idea of approximately when I would be contacted and how much time I would have to reply if contacted?

Thanks for any input!!
 
Very high odds you will get an email. Maybe August or even later. You will have some time but I'm not 100% sure on exact time. I haven't went that route in many years.
 
Very high odds you will get an email. Maybe August or even later. You will have some time but I'm not 100% sure on exact time. I haven't went that route in many years.
Thanks....That's encouraging I'll keep dates open to hunt if it happens. I just hope they don't contact me when I'm in the mountains in late August early September and don't have email access. That's why I was wondering how much time I would have to respond.
 
Thanks....That's encouraging I'll keep dates open to hunt if it happens. I just hope they don't contact me when I'm in the mountains in late August early September and don't have email access. That's why I was wondering how much time I would have to respond.
I got a tag off the alternates list in 2020. I was #395, and I was notified on October 23rd. I technically had until Nov 1st to buy it (10 day time period), but the email stated this:

"Note: In an effort to sell out of these surplus and alternate licenses, we may offer them to more people than we have licenses available in which case they will be first-come first-served for those people contacted."

So I don't know how long you would have to actually pick one up before they sell out. No clue if anything has changed since 2020, but that's how it was for me.
 
Stick around! Good luck this fall! I look forward to seeing your Montana adventure on here!!
Ill report back if I get the email and license!! and will also report in on the hunt if it happens. I have a bunch of hunting planned for this fall but as I said will leave room on my calendar for Montana deer. One advantage of being a retired guy is time to hunt
 
Update......I'm now 25 on the list and called fish and game. The agent I talked to was very confident i would get a license but I'm not so sure. They release a new batch every Monday and the last 3 weeks its only been 5 or 6. There are only 2 more Mondays before season starts, The last day to get a 50% refund when turning in a license is 10/24 so that only gives 1 additional Monday after season opens. After that its just special exceptions for returned licenses. I'm not holding my breath.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,158
Messages
2,251,708
Members
39,104
Latest member
Booner
Back
Top