ID, MT or WY...

fmnjr

Where would you move if you had the choices of Idaho, Montana or Wyoming to live and why?

We live in Vegas but have been pondering a move to one of the northern mountain states.

Problem is they each have great attributes like hunting, fishing....pretty much all outdoor sports which we love.

Guess I've got a bit of paralysis by analysis at this point.

Eventually we'll sort it all out but since I suspect that many of you would do the same if given the opportunity I thought I'd thrown in here and see what folks have to say about where they'd live, why, etc.

For us, it's all about the outdoor life and cost of living, pretty much weighted equally as what good does it do to move somewhere you don't have resources left over for what you want to do with your time?

We've been to SE Idaho and western Wyoming, not Montana yet though we'll be headed there this summer for vacation.

Anyways, thanks for chipping in with whatever you wish to share.

I am doing just that. I have 59 months left in the Navy and I plan to move west. I have picked Wyoming right now, with Idaho being a close second. My choice was based on what I want to do when I retire, taxes and hunting and fishing opportunities.

I don't think ya can go wrong. I live in SE Idaho now and put my roots here and love it here. I also lived in Montana for a couple of years. It was also great.

By far, and I mean by far SW Idaho! You can hunt all kinds of stuff here, along with lots of fishing. If you like skiing there’s that, snowmobiling(less than 30 min. From valley), awesome weather, most years we get hardly any snow in valley, never gets below zero, maybe 4 weeks where it’s below freezing and that’s at night. The economy is doing well here. Desert to the South, trees/mountains to the North. Giant Walleyes on the Columbia River or Salmon or Steelhead 3 hrs west or you can go to Riggins in Idaho for that still 3 hrs or more. The question is what exactly do you want? We got jet boating, wake boarding, McCall is a touristish place... any questions ask away.
Matt

I will not be retiring to any of those states as bought a retirement place in AZ though I really like the scenery around Cody, WY. I never had to spend an entire winter there so that might change my mind. Start building points in WY now if you have not yet if you do select Wyoming as your destination. ID and MT are fine places so you have a great short list.

I have always had a place in my heart for Idaho, lived there In 2006 and loved it!

By far, and I mean by far SW Idaho! You can hunt all kinds of stuff here, along with lots of fishing. If you like skiing there’s that, snowmobiling(less than 30 min. From valley), awesome weather, most years we get hardly any snow in valley, never gets below zero, maybe 4 weeks where it’s below freezing and that’s at night. The economy is doing well here. Desert to the South, trees/mountains to the North. Giant Walleyes on the Columbia River or Salmon or Steelhead 3 hrs west or you can go to Riggins in Idaho for that still 3 hrs or more. The question is what exactly do you want? We got jet boating, wake boarding, McCall is a touristish place... any questions ask away.
Matt

What part of the state do you consider SW? It seems like you're talking about the Valley County area since you mention McCall....not real sure though.

I am doing just that. I have 59 months left in the Navy and I plan to move west. I have picked Wyoming right now, with Idaho being a close second. My choice was based on what I want to do when I retire, taxes and hunting and fishing opportunities.

Thanks for your time of service......you should have plenty of opps to do what you want in WY.

Just depends on what yah want. SW Idaho is a great place, lived here my entire life, never lived anywhere else. BUT there are lots of other great places in WY and MT as well.

I like not being too much out in the sticks. Boise has every amenity you could need. It's getting so crowded though. I think we're coming up on 700,000 or 800,000 in the Treasure Valley. That might be too many people for you. Road construction on EVERY street. But anything outdoors I wanna do is within 2.5 hours, and in most cases, it's within 1 hour.

A lot of MT and WY, I would consider BFE. Windy and much colder than SW Idaho. BUT, 11 week seasons, rifle during the rut for muleys, more opportunity for multiple tags in WY. If I had to leave ID, I'd head for western WY. In WY you can have multiple tags for most species in your pocket simultaneously. Some of the absolute best high country mule deer habitat there is.

SE Idaho is great too. A stones throw from UT, WY and MT. Closer to Colorado. Very close to world class skiiing, fly fishing and hunting the bordering states. SE Idaho is colder and windier though. So just depends on your criteria. Some cool areas around Idaho Falls, etc.

You really can't go wrong. These states are similar enough in outdoor opportunities that other factors are more likely to determine where you land so you have enough resources to enjoy said opportunities. Meaning that if you can balance income and living expenses at any one place near the landscape of your choice (desert, mountains, plains, etc), that one place could be your best bet. I would do the same if I was considering moving there.

If I had the choice I would choose WY for my retirement home simply because of low population, hunting opportunities, and financially it is the top rated as a retirement state.

If I had the choice I would choose WY for my retirement home simply because of low population, hunting opportunities, and financially it is the top rated as a retirement state.

Weather and opportunity to do what you love and living the lifestyle you want. Have to average all 3. Personally I would not want to go back to -20 and all kinds of snow no matter what. I lived in E MT and SW MN and they both suck! Not sure there’s any place in WY that isn’t rediculously cold and windy in the winter is there? MT has some nicer valleys though. There’s a reason not many people live in WY......
Matt

Thanks everyone, you're all confirming the conundrum of the choice to be made :)

From a contrarian point of view WY is to me a good choice because it is so cold and windy plus not as good economy.

Those things tend to keep the flies away!

When I moved to Vegas way back when the pop was 250K now it is north of 2M and like living in CA except for the taxes.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back