ID, MT or WY...

I think we've established here at one time that Montana is full. The big California migration did us in. mtmuley

At the rate folks are leaving the PRC, ALL states to the east and SE should be prepared. The exodus continues and shows no sign of slowing down and border states are sort of bedroom communities.

If hunting the big three is important to you, then one of those three is much different than the others in terms of resident opportunity.

I like Idaho and spend a ton of time there, but personally I would be hard pressed to live there. And if I did it certainly wouldn't Southern Idaho, but I don't like humans.

Thanks everyone, you're all confirming the conundrum of the choice to be made :)

From a contrarian point of view WY is to me a good choice because it is so cold and windy plus not as good economy.

Those things tend to keep the flies away!

When I moved to Vegas way back when the pop was 250K now it is north of 2M and like living in CA except for the taxes.

Amazing how the population grows in places when people move there.

A little jelly. All three of those locations can be great hunting. Longer hunt seasons in MT. Population is 1.7 - Idaho, 1.1 - Montana, 577K - Wyoming. Great opportunities in each.

There’s a reason not many people live in WY......
Matt

Exactly the reason I’d like to retire there. The less people the better IMO and I’d be perfectly fine with the snow and the cold. I’ve grown accustomed to the cold temps more than most being a land surveyor for 20 plus years in upstate New York.

Are you somehow related to yogi Berra by any chance?

I wish.

I just think it's funny when people move to a place because it's so great, and then claim it's ruined when other people move there for the same reason. People fall all over themselves recommending places to move for low population, great hunting, low housing prices, etc., and don't realize their own actions are playing a part in "ruining" it.

And Montana members here love to bitch about evil outsiders ruining their paradise (despite their own particular point of origin) yet are big fans of someone who's run nationwide television commercials for years about great reasons to move to (or hunt in) Montana.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for someone to show me a "Outsider money not welcome" sign in any of their recently ruined locales.

I wish.

I just think it's funny when people move to a place because it's so great, and then claim it's ruined when other people move there for the same reason. People fall all over themselves recommending places to move for low population, great hunting, low housing prices, etc., and don't realize their own actions are playing a part in "ruining" it.

And Montana members here love to bitch about evil outsiders ruining their paradise (despite their own particular point of origin) yet are big fans of someone who's run nationwide television commercials for years about great reasons to move to (or hunt in) Montana.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for someone to show me a "Outsider money not welcome" sign in any of their recently ruined locales.

So what your saying is that the "Natives" as they call themselves will always really be classified as an exotic species? Suppose it is pretty silly when we try to out native each other unless we're from the local Indian tribe

I do know that Montana was a better place 53 years ago when I took my first breath here than it is now. The valley I live in especially. I'm not a native, but I'm native to this state. As were a few family generations before me. I'd just as soon zero television commercials, hunting shows or magazine articles ever surfaced about what we have (had) here. Especially specific streams and rivers, and hunting districts. I'll bitch all I want. mtmuley

I do know that Montana was a better place 53 years ago when I took my first breath here than it is now. The valley I live in especially. I'm not a native, but I'm native to this state. As were a few family generations before me. I'd just as soon zero television commercials, hunting shows or magazine articles ever surfaced about what we have (had) here. Especially specific streams and rivers, and hunting districts. I'll bitch all I want. mtmuley
Yeah, people suck.

Yeah, people suck.
I don't think people "suck". Not all of them. It sucks that there can be such an influx of people moving to someplace that it has a negative effect. That is in my opinion, in my area of Montana. I've met great people here that are transplants. Some better people than "locals". Many are friends of mine now. The fact remains, places are ruined by people moving there. mtmuley

Last edited:
As far as culture, there's more difference regionally within any of those states than there is between them proper. Said another way, Missoula and Malta are more different than "average MT" and "average ID". I'd check out some towns that check your most important boxes and go with your gut.

Idaho or Wyoming. Great hunting! No Super wolves, fantastic bi partisan government, best rated schools, etc. Montana on the other hand, has filled up with people running away from their crap home state and brought the politics that caused their home state to turn to crap with them... ;)

Back