Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ID Archery Success

TheTone

I finally have a bull to post here that is my own (Is this the first Hunt Talk bull this year?). This bull is my first archery kill, first bull, and only my second elk in 13 years of pursuing them, the last five with a bow. To say I'm still excited is an understatement. I was working a herd bull Friday afternoon and called this bull in to about 35 yards with no shot and he just walked off. I went across the canyon after the bigger bull and ended up right in the middle of the herd with cows and calves within 10 feet of me for around 15 minutes. The elk finally moved a little so I could give a cow call and got the whole herd talking. Once all the cows started going it was too much for this guy to resist and he came across the canyon to see what the commotion was. He walked by me at about 20 feet and I was able to get a just about perfect arrow into him. He made it about 50 yards into the timber, stopped, stood around for maybe 10 minutes, laid down, coughed a couple times, and that was it. The whole time the herd bull was still bugling his head off and I basically had to chase the rest of the elk off on the way to get to this guy. The herd bull ended up being a nice 5x6, but I couldn't care any less that I shot the smaller of the two. He just about perfect to me. Shot him at probably 5:30, had the last half to the pickup at midnight and made it to bed at 3:30 the next morning; all in all a great experience. I managed to forget my camera at home Thursday in my mad rush to get out of town so i had to rely on my cousins film camera to take some shots in the dark.

Attachments

• 2006 Bull6 resize.jpg
    2006 Bull6 resize.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 2006 Bull4 resize.jpg
    2006 Bull4 resize.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 265
Thanks guys. I had a week scheduled to be off from work starting the 15th that I guess I won't be needing now. I'm thinking I'll try to do some bird hunting, call in some bulls in a unit I can't draw a tag in, and scout for my mule deer I drew for. I learned how valuable a good head lamp can be thats for sure, so no the flashlight was not used for any sort of fighting/beating.

Congrats! Heck in some of the timber country up there I'd guess that seeing the elk would be quite a feat! ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back