Caribou Gear Tarp

Ice fishing house for elk hunting

fargoflyfish

I have been trying to figure out what type of tent I would like to get for next year's elk hunt. I think the kifaru would be a good option with a lot of flexibility. However, I don't think my wife is a big fan of me sleeping in the backcountry by myself. Option number 2 is to sleep near my truck each night. Since I will be closer to the truck, weight isn't as much of an issue. If I am there for a week, it would be nice to be as comfortable as possible. I am thinking something big enough to have a cot and a small wood stove. My first thought was the common wall tent made out of canvas. From what I read, they aren't easy for one guy to set up and they are fairly expensive. Probably a long term investment, but it would be nicer to have something easier to set up.

My second thought was to use my hub style ice fishing shelter. It is big enough to stand and walk around in. Plenty of room for a cot and a small stove. Waterproof, fire resistant, plenty of anchor points and sets up in <1 minute. The only worry that I would have is a heavy snow load collapsing the top hub. That could be fixed by stringing a tarp at a steep angle over the roof. It would also be possible to remove one of the windows and put in a stove jack with velcro.

Are there any good reasons that I am missing that would make this a bad idea? Thanks for the brainstorming!

Last edited:
Ive thought of the same idea but have never done it. I just got a 6by12 frabill at fleet farm for 200$. The thing is huge. I think its a great cheap idea that alot of people overlook.

That would work fine. Cut a pole to support the roof hub and you can put a few nails in the pole to hang things on. If you have two roof hubs, two poles and tie a rope between them for a clothes line. I just spent a couple days ice fishing in one and thought about it as I waited for a jerk on my line. No, no.. on the baited end wise guys!

I loaned my 6 man eskimo shelter to my friend for just such a purpose and he said it worked great!
only thing I can think of with mine is using a tarp, canvas would be nice for a floor since mine didn't come with one. but other than that I think it would work great!

I think that would work great. I'd probably put a tarp above it to keep everything dry and more comfortable. I like the idea of a pole to support the center hub, as well. Post a picture here and let us know how it works!

I've used my frabil 6 man for about 6 years now as a hunting shack. I can fit two cots in and have plenty of room for coolers and gear. Things I've done; outdoor carpet for the floor, two UFO style led lights to hang on each hub, heat it with a big buddy heater, the seams will leak a bit under rain so I tarp it(wrap the corner inward like you would a present, this prevents wind from getting under), I use my coolers to cook of off with the propane stove.

It's awesome. I only use my wall tent maybe once a year since I started doing this. My only regret is that I wish I had bought the insulated version of the same tent.

I would add a carbon monoxide detector, if your wife is sure she wants you back !

I would add a carbon monoxide detector, if your wife is sure she wants you back !

The buddy heaters have a co detector that shuts it off if levels get to high. As for the wife, her opinion will vary depending on which end of hunting season she was asked.

I have thought about modifying the tent to accommodate a small stove. Wouldn't be hard to due, would certainly need a heat resistant grommet, but then there is no room in the tent.

I believe it's an oxygen sensor. Just have heard of too many ice fisherman that never wake up in the morning due to carbon monoxide. $10-$15 investment would be worth it, and not much weight since you are close to truck anyway. Just a thought. Good luck with the project!

Thanks for all the input.

I don't think I would feel comfortable sleeping with a buddy heater. Sounds like CO trouble waiting to happen. I was planning on more of a wood burning stove setup.

I will put up some pics next year.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

During 3rd rifle season, there was a group camping in one of the portable garages. They had a propane heater inside and they were comfy.

I was checking these out at the Sportsman's yesterday. The price is sure nice, but the black interior would make it hard to see. Maybe you could put a white sheet on the ceiling or wall.

2014 and 2015 Experience with Frabill 6 Man

I have used the 6 Man Frabill for hunting two seasons now with mixed results. It does leak under rain and wet snow. Even after seam sealing, two coats, the middle "trough" or "saddle" seam leaks. To counter, I have put a light weight plastic tarp over the saddle and tied the four corners off to the side pull-out metal hubs. This needs to be perfected. In 2014, I spent two nights alone at sub-zero temps and stayed safe and fairly warm with a Little Buddy heater. I don't sleep with the heater on nor when I am away from the ice house. Keeping water from freezing proved to be a big issue. I found it comfortable for one person and gear but identified some flaws. I have used old carpets or plastic tarps for a floor. Having an old closed cell sleeping pad helped keep stocking feet warm while cooking, etc.

This year, my partner and I used it as a spike camp about an hour from our cabin. The site was more exposed to wind there than in 2014. We left the shelter up unattended for as many as three days. Twice, we returned to a collapsed shelter....once from three inches of heavy wet snow and once from wind. I also found it cramped for two people and their hunting gear. the shelter is thawing out in the garage as I write. When thawed, I need to asses for damage to the poles hubs etc. I suspect there may be some. The Little Buddy worked well again; but, I am thinking the Big Buddy would be that much better.

Take away: 1. the shelter definitely needs a rain/snow fly as it leaks and cannot be trusted to take a snow load, especially if unattended (like for a day of hunting during a snow storm) 2. the windows and vents need to be reworked to be more wind and water resistant as they aren't cut to take full advantage of the velcro sewn around the window opening and they velcro from the inside and therefore do not shed water well. I intend to add a outside flap the will shed water using Barge glue and velcro. 3. All guy-lines need to be beefed up with parachute cord and the attention payed tension maintenance.

Hanging a tarp with a ridgeline will greatly improve the ability to shed rain/snow.

As far as the heater, remember that the heater is used for comfort when you're awake, not for comfort when you're sleeping. The quickest way to ruin your trip is to rely on heat to keep you comfortable while sleeping. If I was spending money on heat or insulation, I would buy better insulation. It doesn't require fuel to work and it will be the only thing that truly keeps you warm when the temps drop.

On that note, the Buddy heater does not have a CO detector. It has a low-oxygen sensor. If CO does crowd out the oxygen pushing it below the threshold of making the heater operate, it will work, but by then you already have a CO problem. A $10-20 CO alarm will warn you far before your heater shuts down.

I second the concern regarding the heater.

Any ideas for a sturdy free standing and inexpensive way to hang a tarp to shed snow would be appreciated.

I used an ice shelter as a spike camp on my elk hunt this year. I agree with the above posts. It works really well in many ways but is definitely not waterproof. A tarp stretched over it solved the rain leak problem, but I'll look at some of the ideas posted for securing the tarp better before I use it like this again.

Also, it doesn't let water vapor out so condensation on the ceiling was a problem. I had to use a towel to wipe the ceiling each morning so it didn't rain on me if I bumped the shelter.

Get yourself a nice tent - an ice shelter will probably work and guys use them, but why? I guess if you dont have space to keep 'stuff' would be a good response to that Aaron.
Ah.
I have too much stuff - army tent, elk camp tent, spike tents, ice shelter and pop up blinds. A big heavy snow will most likely crunch your ice tent?

Sounds like you were thinking kifaru.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back