IA gears up for ATVs

Ten Bears

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Congress gears up for ATVs

By Mark Samuels

SPRINGFIELD — Two pieces of legislation just introduced in the Illinois General Assembly are aimed at revving up recreational opportunities for riders of all-terrain vehicles, or ATVs.

The first, Senate Bill 2273, boosts from 60 to 92 percent the amount of money the state’s Off-Highway Vehicle Trails Fund must allocate toward motorized recreation. The measure also would limit to 8 percent the portion of the fund that could be used for administration, enforcement, planning and implementation costs.

It is the brainchild of Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, who said Friday he wants to see the money used to buy land and build trails for ATV users. His proposal would not allow the construction of trails on properties already owned by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, or DNR.

He said ATV enthusiasts “pay good money” for their vehicles, and that all the money in the fund comes from the title and sticker fees they pay, “so they deserve places to ride and all the money in the fund should be spent on them.”

He pointed to reclaim AMAX strip mine property between Marion and Harrisburg as one example of an appropriate site DNR could acquire for off-road trails. His stipulation that all of the fund’s money go toward ATV trails highlights riders’ gripes that DNR has been using the fund to pay for the wages of conservation police. In the last three years, DNR has diverted over $214,000 from the fund.

The second measure introduced also amends the Off-Highway Vehicle Trails Fund. It is sponsored by Sen. Denny Jacobs, D-East Moline. He wants to remove the prohibition against building trails on land DNR already owns or manages.

Trying to offer a middle ground between ATV enthusiasts and environmentalists, Gov. Rod Blagojevich altered that bill’s language with his amendatory veto power when it hit his desk. The governor’s change would have allowed ATV trails to be built only on recreation areas acquired by the state in the future not on land currently owned or managed by DNR.

But the General Assembly failed to call the bill for an override vote in the November veto session. Since the veto was not overridden, nor the governor’s change accepted, the bill died and it was back to square one.

Blagojevich has indicated that he still opposes building ATV trails in existing state parks, but Jacobs said he is ready to fine tune the measure this time around.

“We’ll make it more explicit that we’re talking about areas DNR might own such as strip mine property or old gravel pits, not in areas like Blackhawk State Park, Dixon Springs, Wayne Fitzgerrell or Eagle Creek,” Jacobs said. ”That was the problem last time.”

Mark Samuels can be contacted via mark.samuelslee.net, or at (217) 753-1410.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1023333&t=Iowa+%2F+Illinois&c=24,1023333
http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/24/threadid/379339.cfm

Great news for the ATV crowd, you can now take a nice enjoyable ride through a scenic strip mine or gravel pit.
smile.gif

IA = Iowa I think.

In many of these dominantly ag areas the old strip mining areas are the only forested country around. This is the case in SW IN. The state owns thousands of acres open to hunting and fishing with zero off-road vehichle use. There are very few public lands in these areas as is and often these are the only places everyone can hunt. I would support use of ATVs on the roads currently open or even the opening up a few of the old mining roads for ATV use only. But it would have to be highly regulated as there really aren't that many places you can get from a road as is. I hunt on a 7500ac parcel of state land in IN and it is hard to get more than 1/4mi from a road in any direction.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would support use of ATVs on the roads currently open or even the opening up a few of the old mining roads for ATV use only. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So to clarify Tyler, you advocate designating roads to quad traffic, but not to other motorized vehicles?

I guess it was pretty clear the way you stated it.
biggrin.gif

I would be against this type of restriction.

MTMILLER, that's the way I read it also. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I would support use of ATVs on the roads currently open or even the opening up a few of the old mining roads for ATV use only. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I support having roads open to ATV only travel. That should include mtn bikes, dirt bikes, and horses also.

In these old strip mines yes. The roads are too rotten for passenger vehichles and the ground is someplaces may never ever grow vegetation again...ever!
mad.gif

Edited to add:
I get what your saying now miller and I did word that improperly. I would include the activities as stated above, maybe, perhaps,
confused.gif

Hell, I guess I'm just getting wishy-washy in my old age.
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-26-2004 16:43: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

It's ILLINOIS.. Benton is my hometown.

A lot of these old reclaimed mines are bought by private parties for commercial atv riding operations, they are usually well below 1000 acres.

Once the private parties and clubs buy them hunting opportuniies are gone. If the DNR buys them, hunting will probably be allowed. Even with all the ATV's running around , there's still a large quantity of game left.

It's really a no lose situation since erosion isn't usually too much of a concern and huntable lands and fishable lakes will be opened.

Marland, I use to in my younger days go to Benton to check out the chicks. Benton use to have some of the best looking gals around. Akin is where my buddy and I started our reloading business.

Why in the hell did they make the town sguare like a merry go round ?
biggrin.gif

There have been a couple of times I had to go around two or three times before I could get back on 37 north , ROAD HOGS .

Have you been to Rend Lake ? It is only about twenty miles from where I live .

Wayne Fitzgerald State park borders Rend Lake, in the summertime there are horses everywhere there. The horse trails are well established and have been for a while.They have good dove hunting and allow some deer hunting on the properties.There was a big debate about allowing hunters to hunt there in the beginning.

Ain't that square a pain in the butt to navigate? I preferred Sesser or Christopher wimmen myself , lower morals and standards, ofcourse that was the very early 80's while I was going to Rend lake College I'm sure things have changed today
wink.gif

I love going to Rend Lake, the best way to get there is by taking the creek from behind Grannie's house at Sesser. Sure, it was a mile and a quarter as the crow flies but, if you took the creek you got to see so much more..

I usually camp at South Sandusky each summer, been around that lake all my life and am still enthralled by all the deer around it.

Did ya hear any good Flathead stories this year? I'm guessing they broke 90 pounds pretty regularly this year.

You still doing the Fertilizer thing?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-28-2004 23:43: Message edited by: MarlandS ]</font>

Yep, still beating my butt across the fields. Have a project for me and the atv next week, gonna make a lot of tracks on about 100 acres overseeding some crp.I will be keeping an eye out for shed antlers too.
It seems the deer have been loseing then a little earlier this year.

For some reason the flathead fishing was a little off this year, and I didn't hear of any really big fish stories floating around.
If you have been around the lake then you probably have heard of JR Jones ?
He is my aunts brother in law.
That guy can catch fish and is a hoot to talk to.He is a flathead catching fool !!!

We were at South Sandusky over the Memorial Day weekend.

Morals? Isn't that some kind of edible fungus
wink.gif

If you find yourself working in the vicinity of Belle Rive near the interstate keep an eye out, there was an 18 point running around there that the locals didn't get. The interstate got the 16 and the big 12 but there's still a 14 running loose too.

JR Jones sounds awfully familiar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back