Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I think I want a pistol

I have about $1200 in my 22/45 Mark IV Lite and I am really struggling to like this gun. I don’t like the recoil, noise volume, and I have not figured out how to shoot it accurately. I suspect I am flinching. I’m not ready to give up on it yet, but I’m getting closer. I’m wondering if Buckmark would have been a better choice - downside is the Ruger is so handy to clean.

I wanted a .357 for deer hunting, and a member on here sold me on the GP100. I adore this gun. Very easy to shoot accurately, and works great for small game with .38 sp. cartridges. DA is not nearly as smooth as the LCR, which I also have, but the single action is lights out. I hear all the time that it’s not enough gun for deer, but 180 gr. max was plenty for me.
CC88A905-45EB-4041-9D0A-24248AC50871.jpeg41FFA5B5-535A-4A37-ABDB-5221003F2EEF.jpeg

Revolvers tend to exceed your budget.

There are a lot more pistols in 22lr than there are hunting accurate ones. Look at S&W, Ruger and Browning. Pick one that points naturally. Point it at an object, then check to see if the sights are aligned on the object. If they're not, try another until you find one that does.

Ruger super wrangler (22 mag too!), Taurus tx22 or ruger mark iv 22/45.

Enjoy my 22/45 once in a while.

Stay away from zinc based slides - such as sr22 ruger, most 1911 style, etc.

Taurus tx22 is a great shooting pistol. Have put around 600-800 rounds through it in the last two years and have had very few issues with feed or function. I have found it to shoot most all standard and high velocity rounds well. You also can't go wrong with the Ruger single six or S&W K22 in revolver form, but you are going to be over your budget by a bit.

I think first step is go to a store and check em out.

@BrentD that Steven’s could come deer hunting with me to keep the squirrels from making to much noise and would handle quiet rounds nice.

@Steelsearchin I might take you up on that!

I think first step is go to a store and check em out.

@BrentD that Steven’s could come deer hunting with me to keep the squirrels from making to much noise and would handle quiet rounds nice.

@Steelsearchin I might take you up on that!
Exactly! In fact, I was deer hunting when I shot that one. Good thing, too I'd have starved otherwise.

Highly recommend subsonic hollow points.

I was going to recommend one of those EAA Bounty Hunter 22lr/22mag revolvers. I think I paid $125 for the last one I got on a Black Friday sale. I see they are pushing $400 now. So never mind. That’s just plain stupid.

However, I can fully recommend the Walter P22. I worked at a range and rented them out all the time. Every one I’ve worked with were bullet proof and plenty accurate. In fact, Cabela’s has them right now for $250.

Browning Buckmark!- very accurate little heavy but really not bad. The one I have is the camper version. Shoots really well. adjustable sights
Ruger MK IV - I have shot one and liked it. I own the Ruger Standard which is an old version of the MKIV shoots really great! adjustable sights
Smith and Wesson model 63. Great little carry revolver for things. Shoots wonderfully. feels good in the hand. adjustable sights
Heritage revolvers... super cheap and go bang every time.. I have never had any issues out of the ones I have. they shoot decent. non adjustable sights.
The new Ruger Wranglers are a step up from the Heritage revolvers. I dont own one but have heard mostly good stuff about them.
Like others have said.. go handle a few.. see what feels good in your hands. Determine what you plan on doing as far as packing it goes.. what weight your willing to live with and how big your wanting. A good little 22 revolver or pistol is hard to beat and extremely useful!
on a side note.. I have a glock 44 (22LR) that I use for plinking and its really fun to shoot. you can buy upgraded mags that will hold substantially more rounds. I like it because its cheaper to shoot than my other glocks and is great to train with its not bad on accuracy either.
of all these listed above the Smith is probably the most accurate I own with the Buckmark coming in a close second or tying it.

Another vote for the Buckmark! I took off the heavy factory barrel and put a Tactical Solutions barrel on it, the balance is much improved, it's very accurate too.

I still want a Ruger Single Six stainless too though...

Pretty much the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to accomplish with the gun, self defense/edc, hunt, plink, target shooting, etc. I would highly suggest going to a shooting range that rents handguns and shoot many to see what you like. Many suggestions above are good, but handguns are kind of a personal preference, what fits your hand and needs.

Taurus TX22 has been good to me, hard to beat for sub-$300. A step up from there is a Glock 44 and a Ruger SR22. I've got a Heritage Rough Rider revolver for a trapline gun that goes bang every time too.

Whatever you get make sure it's easy to clean.

If you're looking to spend some coin, find yourself a Colt Diamondback.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back