I THINK I am going to take the leap.....

SFC B

As some have you may have been following along with my hunting rig travels over the last several years, you know that I have been doing the separate daily driver/hunting rig thing. All three of my hunting rigs have served me well, especially Doug. However, I am in the situation now where Doug is being the daily winter driver AND I am looking at doing several long distance/cross country trips in the next few years. With a few tweaks Doug would certainly make the distances, but the comfort level and ability to keep up highway speeds in all conditions (along with fuel and certain reliability) makes it about time to go for new. My choices are very limited based on my MUST haves so I basically have 3 choices.

Here are my MUST haves
1) V8 vs turbo 4 or 6.......I want the simpler/less complicated of the choices. The mechanics I have spoken to (Ford-you'll see in a minute) have all said that there is nothing wrong with the ecoboost but if they were buying they would go V8.

2) Extended cab. I don't want the space for passengers, I want it for fully secure storage. I especially prefer keeping my firearms and dogs in the cab.

3) 8 foot bed. I just don't understand having a truck without one.

4) 4x4 with off road package/skid plates
From that list I am down to these three choices in order 1) F150, ext cab, 5.0, FX4, 8 ft 2) Tundra, double cab, 5.7, TRD skid plates, 8ft 3) F250, ext cab, 6.2, FX4, 8ft

F150 is in the lead due to the combo of mpg and having the e-locker. Test drives will start to happen this week....although it seems my choices will lead to limited availability.

3) 8 foot bed. I just don't understand having a truck without one.
Having driven a lot of miles on both short and long bed, the LB absolutely kills turn radius. I don’t miss the 8’ box at all.

Also, drive up the road to to RCI and get a far better skid plate for your pickup than the stuff that comes from the factory.

Having driven a lot of miles on both short and long bed, the LB absolutely kills turn radius. I don’t miss the 8’ box at all.

Also, drive up the road to to RCI and get a far better skid plate for your pickup than the stuff that comes from the factory.
I have looked at their stuff and they are on my radar. I have never had an issue with my long beds and like being able to put full length lumber IN the bed plus I will probably put a topper on the back and want ALL that space.

Went from a single cab, 8ft box ‘88 F150 to an extended cab 6.5ft box in a ‘05 F150 and feel like I lost turning radius. That being said, I keep toppers on year around and without top-opening side windows I wouldn’t want an 8’ box anymore. Never thought I’d say that.

Last edited:
Went from a single cab, 8ft box ‘88 F150 to an extended cab 6.5ft box in a ‘05 F150 and feel like I lost turning radius. That being said, I keep toppers on year around and without top-opening side windows I wouldn’t want an 8’ box anymore. Never thought I’d say that.
That vintage of Ford turned like shit. I had one for work.

I was a die hard long box guy for a lot of years, but I was surprised at how little (ie none) I’ve missed it. I can fit my entire wall tent camp and gear/food for two weeks in my 6.5’ box with topper.

I’d love top opening side windows. That might be on my to do’s list for the summer.

That vintage of Ford turned like shit. I had one for work.

I was a die hard long box guy for a lot of years, but I was surprised at how little (ie none) I’ve missed it. I can fit my entire wall tent camp and gear/food for two weeks in my 6.5’ box with topper.

I’d love top opening side windows. That might be on my to do’s list for the summer.
Just the opposite I've got the 6.5' box now and I sure miss the 8' next time will be 8' no question. Ymmv

Instead of the 6.2 in the F250, try out the new 7.3 (gas). We have had one for 5 months now and are very impressed with towing and mileage.

I'm in a similar situation....just a few days ahead in the search.

There are many great options out there.

It didn't make the list, but have you considered a Ram 2500 Crew cab long bed with the gas 6.4? In the Tradesman trim level, they are the least expensive new pickup on the lot. Coil spring rear end rides super smooth. The Tradesman level is still very well equipped.

We put a deposit on one today.

The gassers are assembled in Mexico....CV shut it down for a couple months this summer. Production started again in Sept, resulting in large volumes of 2020 Ram 2500s being pushed onto dealers lots late in the year. They are marking them way down and moving them to make room for the 2021s that are just starting to ship.

Last edited:
I have the F150 and V8. I had the same reasoning as you, it is a mistake. As much as I don’t want a V6 after 79,000 miles with the V8 I would trade it in a heartbeat. The mileage with the V8 and the grunt when pulling a trailer is much worse. I average 15.5 mpg around town and 16.2 on the long trips. I have a trailer and hate pulling it out west. The truck is always searching for a gear and the engine screams when we hit the mountains. The extra torque of the 3.5l eco boost is hands down a better option.

If your dead set on a V8 I will sell you mine and I will go buy a eco boost.

I have the F150 and V8. I had the same reasoning as you, it is a mistake. As much as I don’t want a V6 after 79,000 miles with the V8 I would trade it in a heartbeat. The mileage with the V8 and the grunt when pulling a trailer is much worse. I average 15.5 mpg around town and 16.2 on the long trips. I have a trailer and hate pulling it out west. The truck is always searching for a gear and the engine screams when we hit the mountains. The extra torque of the 3.5l eco boost is hands down a better option.

If your dead set on a V8 I will sell you mine and I will go buy a eco boost.
Smart dude. I hope he bites on your offer. I won't trade my EB for a V8 again.

What year is your v8, @Addicting ? I'm in the same boat as OP, but looking at 2015-2017 5.0L V8 (but with a SuperCrew cab.) The specs look great, and come recommended by Ford Techs*, compared to the EBs that have problems with cam phasers, and expensive turbos that can go out.
*sampling of Ford techs in a Youtube video*

What year is your v8, @Addicting ? I'm in the same boat as OP, but looking at 2015-2017 5.0L V8 (but with a SuperCrew cab.) The specs look great, and come recommended by Ford Techs*, compared to the EBs that have problems with cam phasers, and expensive turbos that can go out.
Mine is a 2017.

If you google any truck or motor out there you will find someone who says there are problems with it. I have the 3.5 EB and I wouldn't trade it for any motor on the market today; it just simply does it all well!

I'm in a similar situation....just a few days ahead in the search.

There are many great options out there.

It didn't make the list, but have you considered a Ram 2500 Crew cab long bed with the gas 6.4? In the Tradesman trim level, they are the least expensive new pickup on the lot. Coil spring rear end rides super smooth. The Tradesman level is still very well equipped.

We put a deposit on one today.

The gassers are assembled in Mexico....CV shut it down for a couple months this summer. Production started again in Sept, resulting in large volumes of 2020 Ram 2500s being pushed onto dealers lots late in the year. They are marking them way down and moving them to make room for the 2021s that are just starting to ship.
There are several reasons I will not consider a new Ram. First and foremost is the Fiat/Peugeot/Stellantis ownership. I lived in Italy for four years and even there the only folks who bought Fiat products were the ones who couldn't afford anything else. I have ZERO confidence in the corporation. Add to that the bailout and, most importantly, that my father (a 45+ year MOPAR body man) beat into my head over his last decade to NEVER buy a new MOPAR due to the quality degradation he experienced first hand and it is a no go.

I don't think the EB is a bad choice (CPOs had zero issues and was a nice ride), but due to relative simplicity in maintenance and repair situations and VERY rarely towing anything (along with the mechanics input) I am settled on a V8.

I don't think the EB is a bad choice (CPOs had zero issues and was a nice ride), but due to relative simplicity in maintenance and repair situations and VERY rarely towing anything (along with the mechanics input) I am settled on a V8.
That's where I was at, too. My brother has an EB, and I was really settled on it, until I asked my friend who is a car nut. He said the 5.0 would be great for me because of lower lifetime maintenance costs, it's a known platform (althought the 3.5 is very established as well) and it'll pull my 22ft camper just fine--way better than the '06 Tundra I just sold. So, either way, I think it will be an improvement. No truck is perfect, so I think if I find the right combination of year and mileage, I'll probably be happy with either the 5.0 or the 3.5EB.

Nearly every Ford v8 has Camphaser issues.

Which will cost more? A perceived maintenance bill or 3-4 miles per gallon over 250,000 miles?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back