Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I THINK I am going to take the leap.....

You make a good point, @Addicting but everything I had seen in my research is stating that the 3.5 isn't as economic as stated, especially if you're into the turbo a lot. But like was stated above, you can read an article about anything (guns, trucks, boats, etc) that can solidify whatever position you want to take. This thread has helped me a lot. I'm resigning myself to accepting the 3.5 or the 5.0, depending on the particular truck I find.

Do you need something right away? The 2022 tundra may check a lot of boxes if the rumors are true. Also, not sure about the 8' box models but toyota has a better turning radius than ford. I think maybe everyone does actually. That factors into any decision I make because I've got a tight fit to get the boat in the garage.

You make a good point, @Addicting but everything I had seen in my research is stating that the 3.5 isn't as economic as stated, especially if you're into the turbo a lot. But like was stated above, you can read an article about anything (guns, trucks, boats, etc) that can solidify whatever position you want to take. This thread has helped me a lot. I'm resigning myself to accepting the 3.5 or the 5.0, depending on the particular truck I find.
The 2018 5.0l has the same 10 speed transmission as the ecoboost. I don’t have any real world data for those. It may make the numbers closer. Also you need to look at what the upcharge is for each engine. I can’t remember which one was more.

I wanted the snow plow package which only comes with the V8. After delivery of the truck I took it to get the plow. Lone behold Ford puts the lightest front end on it they offer and it can only support a dink poly plow. So was not worth the money.

Also, I would recommend against these running boards. They fill up with slush and freeze the doors in place. I’ve had it happen several times where I had to take a hammer to the ice to be able to clear it with the bottom of the door.3F4B340B-2772-49BE-98E7-ED1C3C9A8984.jpeg

That's where I was at, too. My brother has an EB, and I was really settled on it, until I asked my friend who is a car nut. He said the 5.0 would be great for me because of lower lifetime maintenance costs, it's a known platform (althought the 3.5 is very established as well) and it'll pull my 22ft camper just fine--way better than the '06 Tundra I just sold. So, either way, I think it will be an improvement. No truck is perfect, so I think if I find the right combination of year and mileage, I'll probably be happy with either the 5.0 or the 3.5EB.
FYI the 5.0 coyote is a totally different design then the old 5.0 is shares no parts or designs with it. It shares a lot with the previous 5.4 mod motor.
It was new in 2011.
The 3.5 ecoboost actually predates it being installed in 2009. It was also seen in Lincoln around 2007.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The 2018 5.0l has the same 10 speed transmission as the ecoboost. I don’t have any real world data for those. It may make the numbers closer. Also you need to look at what the upcharge is for each engine. I can’t remember which one was more.

I wanted the snow plow package which only comes with the V8. After delivery of the truck I took it to get the plow. Lone behold Ford puts the lightest front end on it they offer and it can only support a dink poly plow. So was not worth the money.
New 5.0 also has direct injection now. That did improve power and should improve efficiency.

It seems like the NA v6 motors don't get any love for some reason. My BIL has a 2015 4 door with the 3.5 non turbo, it runs just as smooth as can be at 80 down the highway. We've taken it on several 3k mile cross country hunts now.

Unless towing heavy loads are in order, you really don't need the 400+ horsepower most trucks are putting out today.

It seems like the NA v6 motors don't get any love for some reason. My BIL has a 2015 4 door with the 3.5 non turbo, it runs just as smooth as can be at 80 down the highway. We've taken it on several 3k mile cross country hunts now.

Unless towing heavy loads are in order, you really don't need the 400+ horsepower most trucks are putting out today.
I had a rental with a naturally aspirated six in it. I would drive west out of Denver over the divide with ~500lbs in the bed and that thing hunted constantly the right gear. It would have been a 2016-2018, I think. I don't know the transmission that was in it, but I will say that I do that same drive in a 2019 2.7 ecoboost now with a 10-speed. The 2019 shifts plenty, but they are smoother and expected. Also, it feels like it makes more torque with lower rpms, which gives it a more linear feel, but that could be transmission allowing it stay at comfortable rpms.

I have also done that drive with the same tools in it in my 2006 Tundra when the work trucks were in the shop. The tundra held a gear better and didn't scream as much as the 6 cylinder F150.

I know this is very anecdotal with some apples to oranges comparisons.

Reactions: LCH
Which will cost more? A perceived maintenance bill or 3-4 miles per gallon over 250,000 miles?
There is a $600 upcharge for the 3.5 and vs 5.0 4x4 mpg on the highway the difference is 2 mpg( 22-24). The only real difference noted on fuel economy is city driving, of which I do almost zero. Given the miles I drive at current fuel costs it will take 7-8 years just to make up the $600. As for maintenance, per the mechanics I have spoken with, there are 2 issues that I want to stay away from the possibility of....cost of a turbo going out and the additional labor cost of having to remove and replace turbo for many unrelated issues. These are BIG costs that there is no chance of with a 5.0.

There is a $600 upcharge for the 3.5 and vs 5.0 4x4 mpg on the highway the difference is 2 mpg( 22-24). The only real difference noted on fuel economy is city driving, of which I do almost zero. Given the miles I drive at current fuel costs it will take 7-8 years just to make up the $600. As for maintenance, per the mechanics I have spoken with, there are 2 issues that I want to stay away from the possibility of....cost of a turbo going out and the additional labor cost of having to remove and replace turbo for many unrelated issues. These are BIG costs that there is no chance of with a 5.0.
Not to get involved in this shit show of options (LOL your RAM reasoning) how often are you really hearing of the problems of turbos going out? Sounds like you are speculating problems that are rare (in my quick Google machine search) if you are set on the v8 go for broke and deal with it.. none of the current model trucks are going to have simple fixes. Too many computers and sensors for the sensors to allow a cheap easy fix. Not like 80s and older

Those fuel numbers are perfect world scenarios while driving down hill with the wind at your back. However, There will still be about the same difference in between the two. So then being inflated is a mute point. I highly doubt you will ever save enough money on maintenance to make it worth your while. Those turbos have been a proven winner. Everything on both trucks is expensive to fix.

Either way, for what your intended plans are for the truck the 2.7l will probably be your best bet in the long run as far as cost.

Not to get involved in this shit show of options (LOL your RAM reasoning) how often are you really hearing of the problems of turbos going out? Sounds like you are speculating problems that are rare (in my quick Google machine search) if you are set on the v8 go for broke and deal with it.. none of the current model trucks are going to have simple fixes. Too many computers and sensors for the sensors to allow a cheap easy fix. Not like 80s and older
Not really expecting problems per se BUT this will be a LONG TERM vehicle (at least 10-15 years) and when higher level maintenance/issues do arise (hopefully many years down the road) there is simply no getting around the extra cost.

@Addicting the 2.7 is rated between the other 2 for mpg (1 better than the 5.0), still has turbos and you can't get it with the ext cab, long bed, FX4 so it isn't an option.

Went to the local Ford dealer today and drove an truck with mostly what I would have (few more options) with the 6.5 bed. It was at least as good as I expected. A little more room in the back seat than I thought as well. The search is not looking good for a 2020.......may have to order one to get what I want. I will drive a Toyota just to give it a look. Funny note, the salesman at the Ford dealer the interwebs randomly assigned my inquiry to happens to be the guy we bought my wife's (now daughter's) Pilot from at a Honda dealer several years ago!! Good dude and a vet.

I have started the full on "interwebs" search and have actually found several 20's that meet my must haves. most of them seem to be in the Midwest but a little flight and drive back doesn't bother me. I put out the feelers yesterday online and will see what they all say. The list prices online are at least 6k under what ordering a 21 would be and not getting first choice color would be the only difference.

Went to the local Ford dealer today and drove an truck with mostly what I would have (few more options) with the 6.5 bed. It was at least as good as I expected. A little more room in the back seat than I thought as well. The search is not looking good for a 2020.......may have to order one to get what I want. I will drive a Toyota just to give it a look. Funny note, the salesman at the Ford dealer the interwebs randomly assigned my inquiry to happens to be the guy we bought my wife's (now daughter's) Pilot from at a Honda dealer several years ago!! Good dude and a vet.

Sounds like you're in the right track - I would encourage you to drive all the truck/engine/transmission combos you can. I completed that exercise when I picked up mine and was very surprised how different they all were. I figured I could just do the internet research and they would all be pretty similar to drive - I was wrong.

Sounds like you're in the right track - I would encourage you to drive all the truck/engine/transmission combos you can. I completed that exercise when I picked up mine and was very surprised how different they all were. I figured I could just do the internet research and they would all be pretty similar to drive - I was wrong.
I have driven the F150 pairings. Still comfy with the V8 choice.

I have driven the F150 pairings. Still comfy with the V8 choice.
Sounds good, I was impressed how different the V8's were between the Toyota, Chevy, Nissan and Ford, I'm sure it's also a function of the transmission and gearing, but I had expected it to feel more similar than they were.

Sounds good, I was impressed how different the V8's were between the Toyota, Chevy, Nissan and Ford, I'm sure it's also a function of the transmission and gearing, but I had expected it to feel more similar than they were.

On the Ford there is also a BIG difference depending on what driving "mode" you are in.

I had the F-150 super cab, 6ft bed with the 5.0 got 18 mpg around town and into the low 20's on the hwy. I have the F-250 now with the 6.2 4 full doors and get 14mpg. @SFC B You'd be happy with the 5.0 has plenty of get up and go.

Back