I stole a gun today

Congrats sir! That was a sweet price on an even sweeter rifle. Just plain beautiful.

Gorgeous rifle. I hope that it’s a shooter for you. .243 would not be my first choice, but then again it ain’t a bad one either, especially in that lightweight package 😉

I would love to have one just like it, but in 7-08. Peanut butter and jelly, if you know what I mean. But at the end of the day, that .243 would probably be more fun to shoot from the bench or for plinking due to the light weight of the rifle

Anyone know a good cerakote guy that can do a sweet tactical urban camo pattern?!

.... just kidding

Edit: Really though. Any load suggestions for a varmint/coyote load and a pronghorn/deer load. Either factory or hand loaded. She's my first 243
75 grain vmax over varget or something of similar burn rate is great for yotes and chucks. I like the Barnes 80 ttsx or 85 tsx for deer, over powders between 4350 and 4831 burn rates. One of my 243s I shot the 85 in liked superformance. The other I shoot the 80 over ramshot hunter. I actually sold one of my 243s and have an excess of components for reloading that rifle. I have 100 of the 85 Barnes and a pile of brass if you are interested.

75 grain vmax over varget or something of similar burn rate is great for yotes and chucks. I like the Barnes 80 ttsx or 85 tsx for deer, over powders between 4350 and 4831 burn rates. One of my 243s I shot the 85 in liked superformance. The other I shoot the 80 over ramshot hunter. I actually sold one of my 243s and have an excess of components for reloading that rifle. I have 100 of the 85 Barnes and a pile of brass if you are interested.
Those Vmax were my go to in 243. I shot a bunch of deer and antelope with them too. 🤫

Beautiful rifle! Don’t think that scope is quite 30 years old if it’s a VX3I, but doesn’t soil the deal in the least bit. If I were you, I’d look at the 85gr TSX or 80gr TTSX as a do all bullet for that rifle. Might want a cheaper one to plink with, but hard to go wrong with either of those Barnes options. I use the 85gr TSX in my .243 with great results.

Beautiful rifle! Don’t think that scope is quite 30 years old if it’s a VX3I, but doesn’t soil the deal in the least bit. If I were you, I’d look at the 85gr TSX or 80gr TTSX as a do all bullet for that rifle. Might want a cheaper one to plink with, but hard to go wrong with either of those Barnes options. I use the 85gr TSX in my .243 with great results.
The "i" was a typo, my bad. VX-3, which according to Leupold's website looks like it was first released in 1998.

EDIT: 07/1997 is what the barrel proof marks lead me to believe

Hmm, several recommendations for the 80/85gr tsx/ttsx. May have to start there
I'll send you a message about the bullets and brass

Last edited:
Beautifull rifle !! 100 gr. Nosler Partitions from a .243 are bad news for whitetails out to 300 yards.

Congratulations to the new family addition!
I've had simular happen twice.
Once had the nod from the manager at the shop.
The other, i just outbid his lowball offer. And i didn't care. I've watched them offer $150 on a used rifle, then put it in the rack for $895. And they absolutely won't budge on their price.

As for loads for the 243 Win.
I was doing 100gr Sierra SPBT GameKings over RL26 for my wifes rifle. Shot good to 500 yards. (Along with the 105gr Hornady Match)

Congratulations! I have stolen two in my life, a Ron Scott 50 cal colonial pistol, and a Trapdoor Springfield - both Covid purchases. I kind of want to steal a Savage 99, but I haven't found anyone putting one out there for me yet.

And a Model 1895. And a Sharps. And a minty Swede Mauser. And a SAA or two. And....

A few years back I knew a lady who’s husband had passed away many years before and left her with a collection of rifles and handguns. She had an old Remington 700 with an old weaver scope on it in 222 REM Mag. Kind of a hard to find gun and even harder to get ammo for but due to it’s uniqueness I gave her $500 for it. Since then I have been able to find about 100 rounds of reloaded ammo for it and 400 casings for reload. This thing shoots very flat and right on the money. If anyone knows of any place to find more loaded ammo of empties for this please massage me with cost and a pic of the ammo.

Nice gun! I got lucky myself on a buy. A friend of mine won a browning xbolt hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor. I got it for 450 bucks. My wife has been talking about starting hunting so she got it for a christmas present.

Just ordered myself a set of RCBS dies and some 58gr Hornady V-Max bullets to play around with from MidwayUSA

I have had really good luck with 85 grain Barnes TSX and SuperPerformance powder. Plenty of deer and antelope, with a few elk mixed in.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back