Caribou Gear

I need tires, what's the recommendation?

BrentD

Tire opinions are wide and wild on the internet, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I currently have my second set of BFGoodrich All Terrain, TA/KO2s. I like them just find and have had them on other trucks as well. But damn, they are expensive these days.

Much cheaper (close to $400/4), are Firestone Destination T/A2 and Cooper Discoverer AT3/4S (who makes up all these gibberish model labels?)

My truck sees lots of gravel, lots of snow (much more soon), not too much mud, and occasionally tows heavy loads short distances (hay), and covers lots of highway miles. I guess I should add that it may be hauling heavy loads (tractors and more) long distance if we get a house bought...

I suppose there is good reason and not just company profits to justify the KO2s, but what's the group think on this?

Last edited:
I do 60k miles a year mostly in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and Colorado also on horrible mining roads. Yes, KO2 tires are expensive but they are the best I have found for traction, tread wear, and resistance to flats. Hell I like them so much I put them on my wife’s Subaru.

Sometimes good products you just have to pay for as the benefit of saving a few $ is forgotten when you have a problem.

Last edited:
Go to where you’d likely move to and shop around what’s available.

My local cenex puts the Wildpeak on their propane service trucks and it happens to be the same size I run.

See what’s a stocking tire.

The others are a bit tougher to come by quickly.

So what is held in stock locally for you.?

Last edited:
I really like the look of the Falkens but they have gotten stupid expensive lately. It’ll probably be KO2s or another set of Duratracs for me this winter.

bfg,s are a very good choice.discount tire or costco.they are problably worth the price difference.i have gotten a set of maxis razor mts for my dodge and like them so far,but they are a full on mud tire,they are quiet so far,but problably bfg will fit your needs better.

I do 60k miles a year mostly in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and Colorado also on horrible mining roads. Yes, KO2 tires are expensive but they are the best I have found for traction, tread wear, and resistance to flats. Hell I like them so much I put them on my wife’s Subaru.

Sometimes good products you just have to pay for as the benefit of saving a few $ is forgotten when you have a problem.
So says the guy with the Merkel double. I tend to agree. KO2s may be the Merkel of the tire world.

I had two sets of Cooper AT3s and gave up getting them to balance and wear even.

First set was so bad I got a second set for 50%. Assumed it was a fluke and I like a good deal. I didn’t take G.W. Bush’s advice and “got fooled again.”

Second set sounded like mud terrains by 12k miles. I was going to replace them with KO2s but I was in a wreck and totaled the truck.

I have Duratracs now and they are loud on the highway (quieter than the coopers) and are a actually slippery on wet pavement. However, I’m blown away every time I take them off-road. That being said I will probably swap them with KO2s when they wear down. I drive a lot of interstate and need a bit less noise and am willing to sacrifice a bit of off-road performance to get some quiet.

Last edited:
Considering that is what basically keeps you on the road and safe, I’d spend more on tires and less in other areas.

I have Toyo AT3’s. Been awesome. My next set are KO2’s

Tire opinions are wide and wild on the internet, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I currently have my second set of BFGoodrich All Terrain, TA/KO2s. I like them just find and have had them on other trucks as well. But damn, they are expensive these days.

Much cheaper (close to $400/4), are Firestone Destination T/A2 and Cooper Discoverer AT3/4S (who makes up all these gibberish model labels?)

My truck sees lots of gravel, lots of snow (much more soon), not too much mud, and occasionally tows heavy loads short distances (hay), and covers lots of highway miles. I guess I should add that it may be hauling heavy loads (tractors and more) long distance if we get a house bought...

I suppose there is good reason and not just company profits to justify the KO2s, but what's the group think on this?
Bridgestone always been a winner!

I used the Destinations for years - only good things to say. Aren't rockin em now because when tire change time came I couldn't find a set of four without having to wait an eternity. Stupid Covid.

The Geolandars I have now are fine but the Destinations were tough as nails and I still got killer mileage with em.

Edit: The Jeep I drive has the Wildpeaks. They seem fine. A little loud.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back