I need help.

R

rwc101

I started kicking around the idea of getting an affordable .243 range gun for cheaper, less punishing practice. I got to thinking that it would be nice for it to work well with the suppressor I've applied for (threaded from the factory.) It being somewhat lightweight (sub 7lbs?) would be nice since it's already a low recoil cartridge and it will eventually wear a can. A fast twist barrel for all the new copper bullets would be great. Could handle all my deer and pronghorn hunting so the 270 WSM could stay set up for elk loads.

Anyway, that's how I went from a $450 Savage to a $900 Browning, to calling Weatherby and discussing a $2,000 gun within a 48 hour span. Like I said, I need help.

I had dismissed that due to my old fashioned tendency for blue & walnut, but I might have to reconsider.

I like the 243 and have one, the hell's canyon is a great gun. Any reason is a good reason to buy another gun

Which can have you got coming and is it your first? I've heard Proof Research, Seekins and a few others have some rifles threaded and ready to run your suppressor. 243 or 6 Creedmoor.

Which can have you got coming and is it your first? I've heard Proof Research, Seekins and a few others have some rifles threaded and ready to run your suppressor. 243 or 6 Creedmoor.
TX Silencer Hunter 308

I've been doing similar mental gymnastics, but with a varmint rifle... need vs want. Its only money get what you want if you can afford it. I've never regretted buying a rifle.

I hunted for a lot of years with a 243. Works very well on deer sized game.

I love the .243 and the whole idea of a nice easy-shooting range rifle. I have had a .243 for like 8 years and it always ends up being the loaner rifle. I have a good loadwith the 85gr TSX worked up and spend some time at the range with it, but I have never hunted with it. My wife has it spoken for this year and last. Maybe next year I’ll use it. Such a great problem to have! What Savage were you looking at that made you go to Browning and then switch to Weatherby options? All of us who will gladly help you shop rifles need to know the models!

I love the .243 and the whole idea of a nice easy-shooting range rifle. I have had a .243 for like 8 years and it always ends up being the loaner rifle. I have a good loadwith the 85gr TSX worked up and spend some time at the range with it, but I have never hunted with it. My wife has it spoken for this year and last. Maybe next year I’ll use it. Such a great problem to have! What Savage were you looking at that made you go to Browning and then switch to Weatherby options? All of us who will gladly help you shop rifles need to know the models!

First, it was a Savage Axis of some variety for pure price point. Then the 111 Lightweight Hunter because of the wood stock. I'm a economically sized person, so the X-Bolt Micro Midas was appealing for the smaller dimensions, light weight, and wood stock. The Weatherby Mark V Camilla Ultra Lightweight was similarly appealing (with the exception of a wood stock) with the added benefit of a 1:7.5 twist for heavier copper bullets. The nice lady at Weatherby assured me that in addition to women, macho tough guys are buying the Camilla because "it makes a great scabbard gun."

First, it was a Savage Axis of some variety for pure price point. Then the 111 Lightweight Hunter because of the wood stock. I'm a economically sized person, so the X-Bolt Micro Midas was appealing for the smaller dimensions, light weight, and wood stock. The Weatherby Mark V Camilla Ultra Lightweight was similarly appealing (with the exception of a wood stock) with the added benefit of a 1:7.5 twist for heavier copper bullets. The nice lady at Weatherby assured me that in addition to women, macho tough guys are buying the Camilla because "it makes a great scabbard gun."
No shame in any of that. Having a proper fitting rifle is definitely something to strive for. I’ve almost got the opposite side of things as the “average” sized rifles out there are generally on the shorter side. I find it’s almost always easier to shoot something a bit smaller than larger, so I don’t envy you! Good luck on the continued search!

Have you looked at the Winchester compact featherweight of you're looking for blue/wood? They would be on top of the pile for me.There are some decent deals on 243s.

Have you looked at the Winchester compact featherweight of you're looking for blue/wood? They would be on top of the pile for me.There are some decent deals on 243s.
Thought about it since my current rifle is a Model 70. No .243 offerings by the looks of it but would scratch my 7mm-08 itch.

Thought about it since my current rifle is a Model 70. No .243 offerings by the looks of it but would scratch my 7mm-08 itch.
Shop online, I've seen a number of them around for about $100 less than the current featherweights. They do have a shorter length of pull vs the std featherweights. I'm just partial to featherweights, I like the fit and look of them. I think they are one of the best looking blue/wood rifles out there. I wish they still madea 223, I'd have one right now. Still trying to convince myself that I should just get the 22-250 in a featherweight and be done with it.

Back