Caribou Gear Tarp

I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT! Koyukuk Moose tag

brownbear932008

I just can't believe my luck I have been down and out all year thinking I am really unlucky at drawing these primo tags 6 states 0 tags with multiple animals this year:(

Well it all changed this evening when my wife was checking emails and asked do you know this chicks name. I said nope never heard of it why. She then said well it says something about DM 829 and at that point I almost fell off the couch after having my Mexican dinner a few minutes previous..... At that point I knew exactly what that chick had in store for me or at least I hoped so anyway:D

Well after basically yanking the laptop out of my wifes arms I read Congrats you are next on our reserve list for a DM 829 tag blah blah blah please respond by so and so. Well I first called one of my best buddies who had this tag last year and smoked a 60 incher in no time flat,I called him for one simple reason to get Charlie Green's digits. This was my biggest hurdle as Charlie books up really really fast on most years. I call Charlie and he has 2 spots I tell him the check is in the mail. So it looks like my MT general deer tag is getting returned and I am heading to the Koyukuk in late sept. to one if not the best moose unit's in the U.S. in my opinion. Now to hurdle the next fence finding a hunting partner in short order.....:confused:

I will not get much sleep tonight thinking of those 60-70 inchers running around up there.....

I know man all those unsuccesful notices and now this. And a big moose is all I have thought about all year was actually gonna book a Newfie hunt next year already had partners lined out for it. Weird thing is I drew a Maine cow tag the same way a few years ago on a reserve list. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Congrats. Charlie is one of the funnest guys I have ever between around. I hope you shoot a really big one.

Congrats! After drawing a mountain goat tag this year I am convinced that going for as many long-odds draws as you can afford really translates into quality hunts. The trick is to apply for lots of them!

I just read Shadows on the Koyukuk and would highly recommend it to anyone heading that way!

Keep us posted on how your trip shapes up :)

Yeah Big Fin Charlie is a blast I loved talking to him on the phone last night I laughed the whole time. My buddy filmed his daughter shooting a 50 inch moose outta town last year and he said "whatever you do don't watch that video before you come up here"! LOL Stand up guy though they had a flood going on when I called guess the Yukon is running high right now. Anyway I can't wait they took two booners up the creek from my buddies kill last year I will see if I can find a pic of his bull. I am beyond excited right now!:D

Congrats! After drawing a mountain goat tag this year I am convinced that going for as many long-odds draws as you can afford really translates into quality hunts. The trick is to apply for lots of them!

I just read Shadows on the Koyukuk and would highly recommend it to anyone heading that way!

Keep us posted on how your trip shapes up :)

I have heard of Shawdows on the Koyokuk I will pick it up to read before I go. This tag is a long shot below 5% and me and my buddy drew back to back years 1st time and 2nd time putting in how bout that for luck?

Here is a pic of my buddies moose 2012 nice 60" moose that is average for there

Attachments

• Buskill moose.jpg
    Buskill moose.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,668
Hope you get a monster! Congrats to your buddy on his awesome bull and now it's your turn!

Well I am getting pretty worked up stopped by my buddies house this weekend checked his big bull out and the videos of the area and him taking his moose. I have all my gear shipped travel arrangements locked in and now just gotta wait 25 more days and tie up any loose ends I may have overlooked. Gonna be the trip of several lifetimes....:D

Looking forward to pics and a story!! Moose is the top of my list for sure and have started a little savings program for it. It is strange how infectious hunting is. I only started hunting 10 years ago (at 33) because one of my buddies pushed me to come with him. I thought that first deer season (blackies at Ft Lewis with no success) was incredible and it led me to WTs at home in IN. Now (thanks to the Army) living in CO I have taken a bull and am going for another along with a Muley this year. Moose will come!!! Best of luck on smokin a huge one!!

Okay tomarrow is the big day leaving for Alaska on the moose hunt of a lifetime should be landing in Fairbanks tomarrow night into Galena Sunday morning and then down the Yukon around 6 hours on the boat to camp and hunt for a few weeks. Wish me luck fellas!

Congrats! Good luck. Look forward to hearing your story.

Back