Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

I know this is redundant BUT! 2019 elk hunt western wyo

Jakedjones

So I formally lived in south western Wyoming in Evanston, my dad hasn’t been hunting there in 30 years, I have 2 points for both my father and I, looking to hunt the areas between Labarge/big piney, north to Hoback. My family has hunted the region extensively many years ago and I’m looking to take my father back one last time. Anyhow, going with a party of 4 or 5, hoping to draw the special general tag next year and maybe add in a couple mule deer hunts for region H. I’ve gone over every draw odd for the last few years and noticed the trends. Just wanted to know what the communities overall opinion was for drawing the special general for elk. This is my first time applying as a non resident, FYI being a non resident really sucks. Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

So what will be the party average for points on each species?

If you're short on points and hoping to draw tags in the random draw, I'd have everybody apply separately if you're set on hunting that area. If you're flexible on where you go, you can apply as a party and make alternate plans in the event that you don't draw.

Last edited:
Average will be 3 points. From what I’ve been able to deduce from draw odds for the special PP draw for the general elk tags, if next year doesn’t change drastically the party will be successful in the draw. Like I said this is my first nonresident draw, looking for an early to mid October hunt I feel like the general tag will be good for us and give us opportunity to hunt a couple different units in the area during a 12 days trip, we’ve relocated to South Georgia so I have a 2K mike drive to make. Really just want another train of thought on how best to execute this.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track then. Just know that the general tag for H, season ends 10/6, so better make it September or early October. You're not going to have a lot of areas where seasons overlap, unless you're willing to go archery elk and rifle deer. It does look like elk area 86 and deer area 153 overlap for several days, at a quick glance.

I show that the draw odds for three points on a non-resident regular tag is still 100%, so I think you can grab that instead of paying extra for the special.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track then. Just know that the general tag for H, season ends 10/6, so better make it September or early October. You're not going to have a lot of areas where seasons overlap, unless you're willing to go archery elk and rifle deer. It does look like elk area 86 and deer area 153 overlap for several days, at a quick glance.
Yea I need to research a bit more on how the season overlap for the two species, even if I only come out with a doe tag that’d be fine, it’s not gonna be a trophy hunt by any means. Game warden for pinedale said areas 84,86 and 92 will be best for the general elk mid to late October depending on snow, but hell those areas just got a foot of snow last night

There are no mule deer doe tags in the region, though there are a few white-tail doe tags available along the Green River. That is not a hunt I'd bank on however, and is predominantly a private land affair. This year there is still a 3 point + restriction for deer, could still be in place for 2019, just FYI. Should be no trouble to find a legal elk with 12 days. This current snow will come off quick, won't change my fall plans in the least. Good luck on your hunt, sounds like a great family experience.

I hunted just below Hoback last year and the elk were mostly in quite a ways. They had plenty of grass where they were and didn’t need to come closer. I saw very little deer sign also. The winter kill was rough on them.

Back